• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel length

jamesmspencerjr

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2014
Can anyone tell me if a lot or a little is lost in accuracy with an 18 inch or 20 inch barrel.

Hello,

Good question. Typically a shorter barrel is more accurate if anything because of the harmonics its stiffness.

You will most likely loose around 75 fps though.

Ok here is what I know so hope this helps; Accuracy has very little to do with barrel length, but has much to do with barrel metallurgy, composition, rigidity, craftsmanship, and of course ammunition selection comparative to the barrel harmonics inherent to that particular barrel. Velocity does generally increase to a point in relation to barrel length and that point depends on the caliber, projectile and powder being used. For example 5.56 will benefit more drastically from a longer barrel length while the 300blk will face severely diminishing velocity returns in relation to barrel length beyond 12". It just depends how much those dimishing returns are worth to you sacrificing weight and handling and though fps increase helps with wind doping the organic accuracy of your firearm will remain fairly constant so long as your barrel flex doesn't change with the longer barrel profile.

Last edited:
Ok here is what I know so hope this helps; Accuracy has very little to do with barrel length, but has much to do with barrel metallurgy, composition, rigidity, craftsmanship, and of course ammunition selection comparative to the barrel harmonics inherent to that particular barrel. Velocity does generally increase to a point in relation to barrel length and that point depends on the caliber, projectile and powder being used. For example 5.56 will benefit more drastically from a longer barrel length while the 300blk will face severely diminishing velocity returns in relation to barrel length beyond 12". It just depends how much those dimishing returns are worth to you sacrificing weight and handling and though fps increase helps with wind doping the organic accuracy of your firearm will remain fairly constant so long as your barrel flex doesn't change with the longer barrel profile.

Well said, Javelin! Very true indeed. I'd throw in there that "accuracy" is really a measure of the combination of what Javelin mentioned along with the optic you're using and the level of repeatability with which you can place a round where you want it to go. Barrel length gives you one thing. Increased velocity (most of the time) which merely translates into whether you adjust for variable A or variable B. That's it. Different cartridges have varying efficacy rates with different lengths of barrels. If you're finding a gain or loss of 50 fps helps or hurts your ability to place a bullet where you intend for it to go, then it matters. Usually, it does not - unless you're shooting at extended ranges where it might come into play. It's simply a piece of data that one perceives to be 'X' based on past experience and what you're personally used to. Hence, why shorter barrels have become more popular as of late.

Thank you for the opportunity to post this bragging group:

1.75 inches, 600 yards, 18 inch barrel, 175 grain Blackhills match. (I was zeroed at 500 yards, and guessed the dope--little low)
600yards.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it is true what Jason said, many of us have gone to shorter barrels and experienced greater accuracy because of it. Dare I say that my 300m tack driver is a Noveske low pro 14.5" stainless VIS rifle? It sounds nuts to many but quite honestly it's true. The barrel flex is almost non-existent in that profile and though I sacrifice velocity (and some distance which is really marginal quite honestly as a distinguished expert could wind dope a 300fps slower bullet better than I could 300fps faster) I gain superior barrel rigidity and therefore superior accuracy.

To put that in perspective; to keep that same barrel profile as ridged in a 20' barrel it would make it something like 40% thicker in taper and probably add another 16oz to the rifle vs the same taper 20" profile.. That's huge as a 20" stainless barrel already adds considerable weight as it is. Huge barrels are fine for a bench rest shooter that only carries their firearm from the truck to the bench... Not so much for those of us who actually carry their rifles.

Edit: the profile increases so much in a 5.56 that to shoot superiorly accurate past 400m many of us simply choose another caliber instead of encroaching on the max envelope of a given caliber. It really saves on wind doping and trajectory calculation headaches in the longer distances.

Last edited:
Gentlemen:

Thank you for the Ego Strokes.

That was with a DPMS 308 with 18" fluted barrel.

2012-11-24231357.jpg

Wind was full value right to left at 10 knots. I held off 3 mils and had the crosshair even with the top of the head.

If I could shoot like that every time . . . . . . . . . . (sigh).

BMT

Last edited:
Gentlemen:

Thank you for the Ego Strokes.

That was with a DPMS 308 with 18" fluted barrel.

2012-11-24231357.jpg

Wind was full value right to left at 10 knots. I held off 3 mils and had the crosshair even with the top of the head.

If I could shoot like that every time . . . . . . . . . . (sigh).

BMT

Are you a seaman?

..yup, i said it. Seaman