• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Length

Doru

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2011
Los Angeles area
First off, though I expected this subject to be done to death, a search revealed little information (guessing my searching skills suck).

Though I feel I'm stepping into a 9mm vs .45 type debate - what is a good barrel length for a .308? I've been told that the round was made to ideally be shot out of a 22" barrel to maximize it's qualities.

I've read arguments for shorter barrels (16") and up to 26-28" for a precision rifle.

I've got a Remington 700P with a 26" barrel. It's getting some work done and I'm debating cutting the barrel.

My intended purposes will be training courses, plinking, and eventually prepping and shooting in some small matches.

Thanks,

Drew

Re: Barrel Length

The 700P should have a 1/12 twist factory barrel, which is better suited for the 155-168gr bullets. If you had a tighter twist and could stabalize the 175 + gr bullets better I would feel fine going down to 20", with a 1/12 I'd opt for 22-24"

Kirk R

I have a 25 inch krieger 1-12 twist and shoot nothing but SMK 175's, they stabilize just fine as this is my 600-1000yds F TR rifle
I also have a 1-10 twist and a 1-11 twist barrel. they all seem to shoot any bullet weight from 155 to 190 just fine (around 1/2 MOA.
conclusion for the 308, there is no perfect twist for a certain bullet weight, they all work.
hope this helps.

I appreciate the feedback, but my question is more about barrel length, not the twist rate.

Thanks,

Drew

depends on contour to keep weight down, if heavy 18" min. If light 26" max. Now a good all around barrel length would be around 22-24 as long as it is not a pencil thin hunter profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate the feedback, but my question is more about barrel length, not the twist rate.

Thanks,

Drew </div></div>

I think the responses above are telling you why the length is important, and why the twist is more important.

What bullet are you wanting to shoot (i.e. what is the purpose of the rifle?).

Lots of factors affect the length (and twist) that you might want for precision work.... Desired range, desired bullet weight, maneuverability, etc..

Well, twist rate is important, bullet weight selection is important, and what weight bullet shoots best out of a given barrel is greatly effected by twist rate. If you loose barrel length you loose velocity, which is why I would'nt want to go shorter than 22-24" with a 1/12 twist barrel, as mentioned.

I believe the problem with your question lies in that there is little to no proof of any length being better for accuracy, theories abound, theories are the basis of science, and yet I've heard of no scientific research. I've read 20" is ideal for accuracy due the harmonics of that length, whatever. There's 16's that shoot as good as 20's, and 26's, if its a quality barrel, with the proper round, it'll be accurate until distance increases and the shorter barrel's lower velocity projectiles become more susceptable to enviromental factors, people claim to successfully use 20's to 1000+yds all the time so I think if you're there or longer you're fine. The choice is more about looks, weight, balance, and portability than anything definitive performance wise until you get real short.

Cut to 22" and never look back, you can thank me late.

In a tactical rifle, especially today, modern bullets, better barrels, and advanced powders, 26" is a waste of time with a 308.

I agree with lowlight. 308 gets complete powder burn in around the first 18 inches of barrel and you really don't see substantial velocity gains with anything longer then 22 inches. So keep the barrel between 18and 22 inches and you will be happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with lowlight. 308 gets complete powder burn in around the first 18 inches of barrel and you really don't see substantial velocity gains with anything longer then 22 inches. So keep the barrel between 18and 22 inches and you will be happy. </div></div>

Also agree, my oldest son in Army SpecOps (14yrs) and he's cut his 5r down to 18.5" and is VERY accurate to and past 1000yds.

Doru,
I had a 20" barrel rifle that i rebarrelled. I went to 22". This was my logic, I looked at GAP and most of their .308's were 22". The Crusader, the HRT gun, the rock, and the Thunder Ranch rifle. All of this is a clue. I'm pretty sure HRT would spec whatever performed the best and work for them, same for Clint Smith.

Since the rebarrel, I have been nothing but happy it is a really good all around legth for the .308.

The Harbinger in 2005 started the 22" Trend at GAP and who do you think brought a GAP to Thunder Ranch... one clue, Clint is also into S&Bs now, give you another clue where he caught that buzz.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I appreciate the feedback, but my question is more about barrel length, not the twist rate.

Thanks,

Drew </div></div>The twist/length of the barrel work with or against each other. That is why lots of guys are posting that information.

Due to changes in powders what bbl lenght was required, say 24" to get x velocity can now be done in 20 or 22.

If you have a round that you know you are going to shoot and nothing else, you may consider shortenting the bbl. Or if you're doing tactical competition. Otherwise leave it alone and use what ever works in that gun.

I have basically the same one 700 PSS. It will shoot .5 to 1MOA all day if I do my part, with 168's and 175's. I trid some of the 147's and 155's, it didn't like those too much...could be the load.

Unless there is a specific need to cut the gun...if it aint broke don't fix it.

My 308 barrel is 26", and since it's bullpup - I bet it is more maneuverable than most of the other guys' sticks with 20" barrels. For me cutting it down would serve no useful purpose whatsoever - the rig is short enough as is.

Yes I like the capability to throw 208gr bullets with full powder load, as an added benefit.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Clint is also into S&Bs now, give you another clue where he caught that buzz.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Team Blaster?
wink.gif

Have the barrel set back and rechambered and cut and recrowned. 22-24" will work well.

Did I miss the follow-up to Lowlight's post earlier this yr on taking a 36" Bartlein and cutting it down incrementally ?