• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel life from 6.5 Creedmore

Griffin4590

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Anchorage Alaska
I have a remington 700 in .308 that could use a re barrel. I am very interested in 6.5cm but before i make that jump i'm curious about barrel life.
Thanks
Griffin

Re: Barrel life from 6.5 Creedmore

I just put a bore scope in mine after 2200 odd rounds, the throat is firecracked some, doesn't exactly look "great" and I've run it hot more than a few times in long strings.

The lands have burned about 230-240 thousandths of an inch.

The 140 Amax jumps no problem to the lands adn I still feed from the mag without any issue. It shoots 1/4MOA or better regularly still.

Barrel Life can be a very subjective question.

What is your accuracy requirement?

Serious F-Class shooters change barrels at ~1500rds, because the rifle won't hold .3's, but that would still be a great barrel. Many hunters would take 1.5" groups.

That said, my estimation, depending on how hot you get it, a 6.5Creed life is probably no more than ~3500rds.

Thanks for the info. I knew I should have been more specific. I'd like to get TRUE 1/2 to 3/4 MOA accuracy. Not one 1/2" group here and there but repeatable accuracy. Like I said in my first post I'm not one to jump on the latest greatest thing but 6.5cm has been hard to overlook and I need a new barrel anyway. Just trying to figure out what would serve me best. I'm not a comp shooter but I do shoot out to 1100m fairly often. I spent the last 5 years in the military and have become very familiar with shooting the .308 at long ranges and have a great amount of dope for that round. I hate to start over unless I'm sure it’s worth it.
thanks again
Griffin

3,000 rounds should be no problem unless you are running real hot loads or some seriously extended strings.

I agonized over 308 and 6.5 for a while . For my situation , the added barrel life just made sense for my build and where I am in the progression of the sport . Need more rounds down range per dollar , than an extra .25 in accuracy