• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel life on different cartridges

cobaltbomb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2009
austria europe
i am looking for a cartridge that will stay accurate for as many shots as possible yet stay supersonic as far as possible. a cartridge with a bullet diameter below 8mm

284?, 7mm-08?, 6,5X47?, 243 win?, .30wsm? 7mm wsm?, 270 win?

i was trying to find a good source of information regarding different cartridges, and barrel life

i have found that a 308. win will stay for around 4000 schots competetive whilst a 6,5X284 may wear out with a 1000 rounds throught it.

i was hoping you guys could schare some first hand experience on when your barrels have worn out.

Re: barrel life on different cartridges

hey I can say that a 308 will hold up pretty good when loaded in the middle and not running them as fast as one can.

but for me when the funds get right I am going to get a rifel rebarreled with a good 6mm barrel to be chambered in a 6mmCM.found out about this cal. at 6mmbr web site.the guy who made it says he has pushed 4000 rounds down the tube.and he is running a DTACT 115gn bullet 3100fps with H1000.the case is a twicked 243 case.and the accuracy is great all so.even out to a 1000 yards.

His name is Joe Hendricks.and he is a really good guy.was able to E-mail him and chat about his 6mmCM.but hey this is only my opinion so take it with a grain of salt and make your on call.

6BR is a good little round and extremely accurate. Most popular 300 Meter gun going these days last I heard.
Normally heavy bullets, slow propellant, large case capacity is the death of most barrels.
A 308 barrel can be made to shoot a high number of rounds if you clean quickly after firing (within seconds before the carbon gets hard) and you clean often.
Don't let the barrel cool down before cleaning.
Normally a 308 barrel will have worn away the reamer marks in the throat between 100 and 150 rounds. I took two new barrels about five years ago and started running tests borescoping every 50 rounds.

I cleaned barrel every 12 rounds while firing by scrubbing with bronze brush, Eds Red and patches.
At 600 rounds I still have strong reamer marks in the throats. (one 30.06 and another a 308- both sporter barrels).
About 300 rounds I started longer round runs and ran 22 rounds and recorded barrel temp at muzzle which was 122-124F in about 17 minutes.

Then I ran 22 rounds in 308 at 30 second intervals and barrel temp (308) went to 165F. Reamer marks still there.
Next I ran 22 rounds every 15 seconds and barrel temp went to 190F. Still had reamer marks but throat erosion moved forward on these runs.
Reamer marks were gone at 900 rounds. I pulled barrel off at 1009 rounds and rebarreled with heavy stainless barrel.
Carbon in the barrel is your greatest enemy and allowed to cool hardens. Shooting a cold/fouled barrel will embed carbon in bullet jacket and carry it down bore doing lots of bad things to your bore.

Rifles at Army Sniper school at 15,000 rounds still shot acceptance accuracy. My friend who was engineer in charge of the M24 development says he knows a guy that has one with 30,000 rounds on it and still shooting well but he cleans often and quickly after firing.

Another high round barrel is the 30BR, check it out on 6br.com.

4K's is not a lot for a .308.

It all comes down to how far you want to shoot and how much power you want.
Once you have that worked out it's quite easy to find your solution.

*******Edit

Where did your information come from?

My custom .308 kicked the bucket at about 4000 rounds. It depends on how hot and fast you shoot them.

Reactions: simonp

From <span style="font-style: italic">Cactus Tactical</span>:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> .224 bore (5.56 mm): The 223 Remington (5.56 NATO) is an excellent choice. Its a little light for extreme distances but ammo is cheap and very available, accuracy is excellent, and recoil is very tame. Almost every manufacturer offers rifles chambered in this great military cartridge. The 22-250 Remington has grown in popularity as one of the most accurate cartridges available. Higher velocity greatly improves maximum usable range for this light recoil performer. Ammunition and rifles for this former “wild cat” are available from a variety of manufacturers. Bullet weight range for 223 and 22-250 is 45 to 60 grains. Heavier bullets may be used but require a faster twist rate.

.243 bore (6mm): The 243 Winchester was developed by necking down a 308 case to 6mm. This very accurate cartridge uses bullets in the range of 70 to 100 grains. Very modest recoil in this 50-year-old cartridge have made it a very popular rifle and an excellent choice for long range shooting. Ammo and rifles are available from most manufacturers.

.270 bore: The 270 Winchester is a necked down 30-’06 case that is one of the best cartridges on the market. Besides being an excellent big game cartridge, it has the accuracy potential for good long range performance. With bullet weights in the 100 to 150 grain range, this heavy hitter can be a little stiff on recoil. Most manufacturers make rifles and ammunition for this popular cartridge, however bullet variety isn’t too good..

7mm bore: Bullets in 7mm (.284) diameter have higher ballistic coefficients than most any others. This makes them ideally suited for long range performance. Based on a necked down 308 case, the 7mm-08 Remington is the most accurate cartridge in the 7mm family. It may be loaded with 100 to 175 grain bullets. Bullet weights in the 139 to 145 grain range take advantage of modest recoil and sub-MOA accuracy. Downrange performance rivals 308 and 30-’06. Ammo and rifle selection is not as good as some, but are certainly available from most American manufacturers. The 280 Remington, AKA 7mm Express is based on the 30-’06 case necked to 7mm. After the 7mm Rem Mag was introduced, the 280 lost popularity and was reintroduced as the 7mm Express. Its velocity performance is just under the 7 Mag but its accuracy potential and barrel life is better. Shooters are fond of this outstanding long range performer though ammunition availability isn’t very good. Recoil is stout but down range ballistics are excellent for hunting or target shooting. The Express uses bullets in the 115 to 175 grain range with 150 to 162 being the best performers. 7mm Express rifles can be a bit scarce.

308 bore: .308 (7.62mm) diameter bullets are the most popular on the market probably because they support the two most popular 30 caliber cartridges, the 308 Winchester (7.62 NATO) and the 30-’06 Springfield. Both military cartridges are well suited for long range shooting and have very similar ballistics. The 308 Win is inherently accurate and an efficient cartridge that is shorter and a little slower than the ’06. Rifle and ammunition availability for both cartridges is probably the best of any caliber. Recoil is stout but manageable. .308 bullets are available in 100 to 220 grain and optimize with 150 –168 grain in both cartridges.

Conclusions: You may have noticed all the above cartridges are military based except the 22-250 and even its case is nearly the same as a 308. All others except the 223 Rem are based on either the 308 Win or the 30-’06 cases. Many good cartridges are based on the 7mm Mauser, such as the 257 Roberts. However, their popularity and availability kept them off the list. Any of the above tried and true cartridges will make a good long range solution that will offer excellent accuracy potential, long barrel life, and availability. If you don’t see your favorite cartridge listed, it’s because of barrel life, availability, or other subjective criteria. That doesn’t mean it’s a poor performer.</div></div>

I have a hunter and a varmint rifle chambered in .280 Rem. I have become somewhat fascinated with the cartridge's ballistics on paper, and intend to try doing some load development this coming season. As a tradeoff between LR performance, component availability and capability, and bore life, I see it as a front-runner. Just as I have become an all-out devotee of the .260, I see the same personality potential for the .280's ways of harnessing the .30-'06's case capcity. There's also the added advantage that the case base diameter makes it a primo candidate as a barrel switch chambering.

Greg

Something no one has addressed yet. What is your opinion of what accurate is?

Shooting benchrest, it's when the barrel will no longer group in the teens, <0.199" at a hundred yards.

A lot of shooters say it's when the rifle no longer shoots 1MOA.

There's a lot of difference there.

I think first you need to decide what accuracy means to you and what limits are you willing to go to. How small do you want to shoot? What's the largest group you will tolerate?

I read an article once that made a ratio of it. It was basically, the volume of a case (powder wise) against the bore of the barrel. If you know the article, step in and correct me if I'm wrong. But to the best I can remember the author used lead shot of different sizes to aproximate the bore size. Then he filled the case in question with the same size shot and made the resulting numers into a ratio. For example: 308 = 1:47 a 30-06 = 1:68 and a 300 WinMag + 1:125 <span style="font-weight: bold">These are examples only. I pulled these numbers out of a hat.</span> But the real numbers would show the amount of powder volume in the specific load against the actual bore size. The higher the ratio numbers the faster the bore / throat would wear out.

I hope this helps you make some rational decisions on the matter.

Good luck.

My 6.5 x 47 barrel (Brux SS) accuracy became non-competitive at about 1,400 rounds, had the shoulder set back and shot it today for the first time and accuracy seems competitive again. I have found the 6.5's to pretty hard on barrels for competition, great bullets and chamberings at that caliber but the barrels do not last.

wade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 6.5 x 47 barrel (Brux SS) accuracy became non-competitive at about 1,400 rounds, had the shoulder set back and shot it today for the first time and accuracy seems competitive again. I have found the 6.5's to pretty hard on barrels for competition, great bullets and chamberings at that caliber but the barrels do not last.

wade</div></div>

Damn, I would've thought 6.5x47 would be a .5moa gun with no less than 2k to 2500 rounds.

Did you chase the lands?

My .260 went 3400 rounds before I took it off. Accuracy was excellent. It wasn't broken in and was only cleaned about ten times in it's whole life.

I replaced that barrel with a 6.5X47. I shoot 123's at 2900(moderate velocity) and at 1000 rounds it looks good inside. There is no reason it shouldn't go longer than a .260.

There is no free lunch, barrel life is at one end of the scale and crazy ballistics at the other. Pick a few slippery bullets in 6.5, .284, and .30 and play with them on JBM for a while. Using reasonable velocities from a variety of chamberings, you'll probably end up with a 6.5 or a 7 that stands out for you. Shooting a .260 around all your buddies with .308's is like cheating. Same goes for the X47 and Creedmore.

I have a heavy .30 caliber barrel blank, which is kinda short and will probably finish out around 20-22". I'm contemplating using the .30BR as a chambering, simply because it is easier on the bore, cheaper to load, powder-wise, and seems to be highly immune to environmental changes.

Greg

the only barrel I've truly worn out was on a Winchester M70 in 264 Winnie. It had just anlittle over 3000 rounds down the tube.

I've got a 222 Rem that has recently lost a little of its accuracy and I suspect the throat is being eroded. it has well over 4000 rounds through her!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I read an article once that made a ratio of it. It was basically, the volume of a case (powder wise) against the bore of the barrel. If you know the article, step in and correct me if I'm wrong. But to the best I can remember the author used lead shot of different sizes to aproximate the bore size. Then he filled the case in question with the same size shot and made the resulting numers into a ratio. For example: 308 = 1:47 a 30-06 = 1:68 and a 300 WinMag + 1:125 <span style="font-weight: bold">These are examples only. I pulled these numbers out of a hat.</span> But the real numbers would show the amount of powder volume in the specific load against the actual bore size. The higher the ratio numbers the faster the bore / throat would wear out.

I hope this helps you make some rational decisions on the matter.

Good luck. </div></div>

I read the same one, and while I don't remember the location of the article, I'm almost certain the formula is:

Water Capacity / (bore dia ^ 2) --> A 30-06 has about 70gr of water capacity

Everything else you brought up as far as "what's considered acceptable accuracy" is exceptionally stated.

70gr / (0.300^2)~ 775 (remember that it's bore diam, not bullet diam hence the 0.300 instead of 0.308)

The "overbore" line starts areound a ratio of 650 or so and a 308 has a ratio of ~ 610 ish.

The 6.5-284 is 930, the 6mm-06 is over 1200 and we know that both of those rounds SMOKE barrels.