• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel: Loki Weapons Systems or Lothar Walther

WxWatcher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Norman, OK
As hard as it is right now to track down a decent barrel in stock, I've found two I'm interested in. First is a Loki Weapons nitrided 4150 (same steel as the M249 SAW). The second is a Lothar-Walther in their LW-50 stainless steel. Both are 16" and 1-8 twist. the Loki is $100 cheaper than the Lothar.

Any thoughts on which is the better?
For reference, I likely won't be shooting past 400 yards, or at least not very often. And if I'm lucky, I'd get 1000 rounds downrange each year (baby on the way). Accuracy is important, but trying to keep overall build cost down while still getting components I won't want to replace after a few outings.
Thanks!

Re: Barrel: Loki Weapons Systems or Lothar Walther

and FYI, Loki is chambered 5.56 Nato, and the Lothar is 223 Wylde.

criterion barrels are excellent also and i believe in stock most of the time.

Have a look at WOA 1-7 or Ultramatch 1-8 barrels.

@ attherange: so you have a Criterion barrel then...their chrome lined they claim doesn't affect accuracy? If so, what type of groups do you get?

@ ddelagarza the Ultramatch is a little pricey for me right now, unfortunately. I've thought about the WOA, but as I'm really not sure what type of load I'd be shooting regularly, I thought the 1-8 would be a little more versatile than the 1-7. Am I wrong?

I have their NM 20 inch non chrome lined barrel in an old colt Ar15 dedicated to service rifle match.
Accuracy is better than i need for the matches.
hope this helps.

To somewhat answer your question Wx, I have a LW in a 6.5 Grendel setup. It is an absolute tack driver. No shift on cold bore shots, easy to clean and nicely built. Can't give any opinion on the Loki as I have not put any rounds down one.

Best of luck with your choice.

Never used or seen a loki, but my AR-10T has a lothat barrel in 308 and its a tack driver. With 1 or 100 shots down the tube the poi doesnt shift and its a solid MOA rifle with GMM 168gr.

If your not worried about competition, buy the cheaper arrel and spend the extra cash on ammo and practice!

mwilkins/NYresq: your Lothar, conventional/Enfield rifling, right? The only reason I ask is I know that Lothar does some poly rifling - the 223 wylde barrels they do for Spikes Tactical are the poly, but the one I found is conventional.

Sorry if I'm being a pita, just learning as I go. Thanks guys.

Don't worry so much about rifling it's not a big issue when accuracy is concerned. 3 groove, 4 groove, 5 groove, button, cut, there are examples of each that shoot well.

The main things you should think about are 1) who profiled/chambered it and 2) if it doesn't shoot do you have any recourse.

I know Rainier stands behind their barrels and they have their 18" as well as White Oak 18" SPR barrels in stock now for under 300. Also there is AR15Performance.com that has 200$ 16" barrels and from what I understand they do stand behind their product as well. That is where I would look.

Loki uses liberty barrel's and also saturn. I have a 300blk loki upper with a 16inch saturn on it and love it. It shoots under 1 moa for me with a red dot on it. I have no doubt if I put my vortex pst on it I could shoot 3/4 with it or better....that is if I can shoot it that well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WxWatcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and FYI, Loki is chambered 5.56 Nato, and the Lothar is 223 Wylde.
</div></div>

For what it's worth I ordered a Loki double fluted M4 barrel and called to ask if they could cut it in wylde instead of nato. They said no problem.

They told me that the barrel I ordered is a Satern blank.

Ya, darkvibe, I talked to Eric at Loki last week. Great guy to talk to/work with.

Yeah Eric was good in my dealing's with him also. They sent my upper out to a shop with the same order as mine and while alot of companys out there would have just told me there was a hold up on getting my barrel or what not Eric called me to try and make it right. Ended up giving me a saturn barrel vs the liberty I ordered. I think you will be happy with your barrel.

I just did a build with a lothar walther and absolutely love it. That being said, I believe either choice is good quality. As others have said, White Oak makes good barrels as well, as does Wilson Combat and Noveske. Have you looked around for a deal on a used one?

I spoke with someone in their shop and then spoke with Eric two times. They were both really nice and great to deal with. My barrel has been on order since February 15th. Hopefully I get it soon.

Yea Erik and Aaron(gunsmith) at Loki are great people to deal with. Very helpful and work with you to get you what ever end product you want produced. There pricing is always very reasonable. They've built one upper for me and are currently working with me on another a custom 300 blackout build. I come up with a goal of a custom build and ask what there opinion is. Erik always gets back pretty quick with some excellent ideas. Sometimes emailing or talking by phone a week straight trying to hash out the exact result I want. My problem is I keep changing things up. But he steadily works with me reguardless.I know there staying busy right now there 3 gun builds are being talked about all over the place lately.