• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel makers and lead times

Double-edged

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2002
What barrel maker has the shortest delivery time right now or might have in stock what I want?

Going to have an older R700 action barreled to a 26" (or 24" or 28") 6.5 Creedmoor with a Remington varmint contour.

Re: Barrel makers and lead times

You can call Benchmark,they were about 8 weeks out.The plus is that you can use your rifle until it is ready and send them the action later if you want them to chamber and fit it.One stop shopping.A 700 Rem is $525 w/ the Blank,contoured and fitted to your action.

just a barrel blank or a complete rebarreling job ?
For just a blank for a hart is 4 weeks if you want stainless

I have a ton of Shilens are they are easy to come by. Not cut barrels but shoot awesome. Think theres a site called barrelman or I go to Brunos.

Not a big fan of waiting a while to get a barrel so I go the middleman route. Hasnt let me down yet.

Third Gen or Bruno's is a good place to get Krieger barrels, Midway has decent ones from time to time but they sell fast. Sinclair also carries Krieger and Bartlien barrels. You can get Shilen from Brownells but unless you get the dealer price they cost as much as a krieger.

Also not a fan on waiting on McM stocks, Third Gen is a good spot for that, so is JWP, and the McM specials page.

You can also call the Manufacture sometimes and see if they have what you are looking for or near it in stock. Cut Rifled post his such barrels here on the hide,

Bruno has one less 6.5 Krieger in stock......
cool.gif

Call up Bruno's if you're looking for Krieger.

"Hit it with a Rock." And don't look back. Call Paul I bet he can dig you up one.

Ordered a .223 7 twist from Brux on July 20th and got it today Sept. 7th, 7 weeks when they told me 10. Pleasantly surprised.

As of Sep 8, 2010 for .338 heavy contour's

Krieger 20-22 weeks, Rock Creek, LiLja, Brux, Broughten, Douglas and Orbermeyer all stated 8-10 weeks. Lothar Walther stated 6-8 weeks.

LiLja keeps #4 sporter's in stock w/ no wait period.

-ML

Ordered a Bartlein in February........................crickets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had sent out my Post 64 Winchester M-70 to Hart Barrels in May and I am looking at a return in Nov......

http://www.hartbarrels.com/rebarreling.php </div></div>

Am I seeing things right? Hart charges $650 for the barrel AND the rebarreling service? That sounds pretty good. I guess you still need to pay to refinish it but that sounds like one of the better deals that I've seen.

Never had anything but factory barrels so that looks cheap compared to some others that I've looked at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Double-edged</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hugo121175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had sent out my Post 64 Winchester M-70 to Hart Barrels in May and I am looking at a return in Nov......

http://www.hartbarrels.com/rebarreling.php </div></div>

Am I seeing things right? Hart charges $650 for the barrel AND the rebarreling service? That sounds pretty good. I guess you still need to pay to refinish it but that sounds like one of the better deals that I've seen.

Never had anything but factory barrels so that looks cheap compared to some others that I've looked at. </div></div>

Yes this is correct thats the rebarreling price for a standard bolt action includeing the barrel, current lead times on rebarreling jobs is 34-36 weeks just to let you know. If anyones wondering he dose about 300 rebarreling jobs a year. Barrel lead times are 3-4 weeks for the blanks, drop in ars take a bit longer.

I would only go with a Benchmark. Very good barrels and their lead time is not bad at all.