• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Nut mid ELR gun action? Cartridge choice?

demolitionman

Send’r Bud
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2013
Midwest
Alright gentlemen. I'm kind of torn between just buying a blueprinted Remmy 700 from NSS and building a barrel nut elr gun off it, or using a LA Savage I've already got. Either way this gun will need a new chassis and it'll likely be in a McRees as I've had absolute stellar experiences with their simple designs of the g10 and g7. Let me explain; The Savage LA I have(or shall i say inherited) is one of the old ones when savage only made LA's and would set them up to shoot SA cartridges. For example this Savage LA is off a 22-250 Model 112 and shares the same .308 boltface. The magazine cutout is for a short action internal box mag so obviously no magazine feeding going to be happening if I use this action to build a 7mm or .30 something on which is ok by me. I've already got a fast twist .243(105's), 6.5 creed, 308, and 6.5x47 mag fed repeaters that I shoot to 1000 rather often and with decent success by my standards. So seeing what I've already got, maybe you can see that I'm interested in poking out to a mile or skosh more with alot more reliablilty than what is offered in a SA cartridge. This build isn't going to be something I'm shooting in any comps where having a repeater would be necessary so keep in mind single fed is ok unless you guys can talk me out of that.....oh and yes I reload and don't care at all about availability of factory ammo. Also my local range has steel to 1 mile. Yes I'm blessed to be so close!

So the .338 and those that share it's case design ie. .30Norma is out of the picture for me I believe as they would require special XL long actions that I don't think I want to deal with.

But I'm kind of intrigued by the 7mmSaum as I understand it would be a really nice cartridge for elr if fitted in an action that can seat the 180 Berger's longer, as well as it being available in a Shilen Prefit so I could headspace it myself if I could find go/no go's for it.

The 28 Nosler is another one I'm looking at as well as I think it'll fit in a regular LA too and it also available in a Prefit Shilen and again don't know where I would get go/no go for it yet. The thought of slinging 195 high bc bergers is looking good to me.

Stepping up to the .30 cal the 300 Win Mag is always there looming in the back of my mind as the good old stand by but as I understand the 7mm's higher BC's really have caught up to what the WinMag is capable of with less recoil to boot....so if I go .30 cal I really like the thought of
The 30Nosler: Longer barrel life than the 28 Nosler but more kick....

I'm around alot of 6mm and 6.5 shooters at the range and really I have zero experience outside 1000yards, and I have no first hand experience with magnum cartridges. I guess I've just had all this rolling around in my head as something to put together this spring and make my first 1mile impact and subsequent ones with a bit more reliability than what I've got already. So what say ye wise Ol Hide magnum shooters?

Last edited:
Don’t leave out the 7RM either. It’s a great round and very capable at a mile with the right load. I have taken mine to 2k several times with the best being 7-10.

I am shooting the 180 eld ms at 3041 in a 28” barrel. I am having another barrel chambered as we speak for the 195s finished out at 29”.

also the 7-300 wm is another good choice with the 195s and 197s.

Some of the Wildcats I am looking into:
- 7 Practical (7/300 Win Mag): 180 gr 3050 fps
- 7 Blaser Mag: 180 gr 2950-3000 fps
- 7 Blaser Mag Rogue (37° Shoulder):180 gr 3000-3100 fps
- 7 Hulk (7/300 - 7/338 NM AI): 180 gr 3300-3500 fps
- 284 Jazz (7/338 NM AI): 180 gr 3300-3500 fps

All will fit in a standard LA with a .540+/- Mag Bolt or .585+/- Mag Bolt.

Some of the Wildcats I am looking into:
- 7 Practical (7/300 Win Mag): 180 gr 3050 fps
- 7 Blaser Mag: 180 gr 2950-3000 fps
- 7 Blaser Mag Rogue (37° Shoulder):180 gr 3000-3100 fps
- 7 Hulk (7/300 - 7/338 NM AI): 180 gr 3300-3500 fps
- 284 Jazz (7/338 NM AI): 180 gr 3300-3500 fps

All will fit in a standard LA with a .540+/- Mag Bolt or .585+/- Mag Bolt.

The 7 practical and the 7/300 are different cartridges.

One has a 25* shoulder and the other has 30*.

I maybe wrong but the 284 Jazz and the 7 hulk would require a large shank action and lapua action. The standard savage long action isn’t bridged compared to their “lapua action”. It also has larger lugs compared to the standard long action.

The 7 practical and the 7/300 are different cartridges.

One has a 25* shoulder and the other has 30*.

I maybe wrong but the 284 Jazz and the 7 hulk would require a large shank action and lapua action. The standard savage long action isn’t bridged compared to their “lapua action”. It also has larger lugs compared to the standard long action.

BoomerC - Thanks for keeping me honest.

BoomerC - Thanks for keeping me honest.

A lot of people think they are the same honestly. The 7/300 keeps the original shoulder angle vs the practical having the 30 like the short mags.

I'm leaning 30 Nosler prefit. I see Shilen is offering a 28 Nosler, so I hope they will chamber one in 30 Nosler as well. Looks like this cartridge will run fine on a LA Remington w/ a magnum .532 boltface. I think I'm going to abandon the Savage action i have.....