• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel nut setup on FN/Win Mod 70 ????

NXS338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Central FLORIDA
Has anyone tried a barrel nut set-up on an FN/ Mod 70 ? Any reason why it wouldn't work? I know alot have tried this with Remmy's with great success so I was curious if it had been tried with FN/Mod 70.

The CRF (claw extractor) models require an extractor cut in the chamber face. Though I have seen one barrel with the entire barrel shank machined away for the extractor like a M98 Mauser. But that is something I would not recommend.

FYI the threads on Winchester barrels have changed recently to a finer F N type thread compared to the Original Winchester thread so keep that in mind when changing out barrels.

Not sure what the originals were but the Fn SPR threads are 1.000 X 16 as best as I can tell. I am wanting to try something so I was wondering if the barrel nut deal would work. I have to remove barrel again but i don't remember seeing a cut out for the extractor. seems like the breechface was simply cut to allow for coned bolt all around. Again not sure, really didn't pay attention to that as it wasn't an issue at the time.

It's possible to fit a barrel nut to a M 70, pretty common on M98s witch has the same type of extractor.
Can order one for 150 dollars and have it delivered within a week for myself.
Will of course still need some machining to fit.
Not saying it's the best solution available, a WIN M70 with a few barrels fitted in the calibers desired, gages and barrel vise and action wrench will do the same, just a bit more work to it for the owner.

Also a simple solution for all the ppl here regurgitating questions about Sauer 200/3000 barrel changes.

If you have similar for sale in the US and smiths doing the mod i can't answer though.

http://www.google.com/patents/WO1998050753A1?cl=en

http://www.google.com/patents/US3877167

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_hadTgxZbU6I/TIlCywYm0mI/AAAAAAAAAQc/490uGc38U44/muffe.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what the originals were but the Fn SPR threads are 1.000 X 16 as best as I can tell. I am wanting to try something so I was wondering if the barrel nut deal would work. I have to remove barrel again but i don't remember seeing a cut out for the extractor. seems like the breechface was simply cut to allow for coned bolt all around. Again not sure, really didn't pay attention to that as it wasn't an issue at the time.

The SPRs I've seen were 16 TPI, but the commercial Winchester 70s I've seen in the last two years were all finer threads.

Wes

It's possible to fit a barrel nut to a M 70, pretty common on M98s witch has the same type of extractor.
Can order one for 150 dollars and have it delivered within a week for myself.
Will of course still need some machining to fit.
Not saying it's the best solution available, a WIN M70 with a few barrels fitted in the calibers desired, gages and barrel vise and action wrench will do the same, just a bit more work to it for the owner.

Also a simple solution for all the ppl here regurgitating questions about Sauer 200/3000 barrel changes.

If you have similar for sale in the US and smiths doing the mod i can't answer though.

Patent WO1998050753A1 - Devices to enable flexible replacing of gun barrels - Google Patents

Patent US3877167 - Device for mounting a gun barrel on a firearm - Google Patents

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_hadTgxZbU6I/TIlCywYm0mI/AAAAAAAAAQc/490uGc38U44/muffe.jpg

The M70 was a cone bolt and breech, which the M98 does not. The cone breech requires an extractor cut in it, which means it has to be timed first. The M98 does not have that, as it has an inner and outer shoulder for the barrel to butt up against. For a M70 to use a barrel nut type system, you would have to eliminate the cone breech, which is not something I would recommend.

The M70 was a cone bolt and breech, which the M98 does not. The cone breech requires an extractor cut in it, which means it has to be timed first. The M98 does not have that, as it has an inner and outer shoulder for the barrel to butt up against. For a M70 to use a barrel nut type system, you would have to eliminate the cone breech, which is not something I would recommend.

You are right, after further investigation it would have to be timed first which basically defeats the purpose i guess.