• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing barrel oxiding

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
Well today i got my usc barrel and a modified hk 91 bolt carrier back from the oxide place, I have had the guy do my 1187 receiver and a sig slide and iam always amazed at how well they come out.

well i stuck the barrel back in the gun and started shooting to try and shoot the oxide out of the bore, i put 4 rounds threw and noticed the recoil was a bit more then normal, should i continue to shoot the oxide out of the bore ? hope i didnt F*ck any thing up

Re: barrel oxiding

Black Oxide is a relatively shallow penetration finish. Just shoot it and see how it groups. Does the bore look dark? Why would anyone black oxide a bore? When we parkerize we don't plug the bore, but parkerizing only effects surfaces that have been blasted, and has minimal effect on polished surfaces (like bores) unless left in the tank WAY too long.

We used to have a mexican neighbor with an older Chevy truck. Nice truck, 350, 4x4, medium lift. He fixed it and worked on it until it never ran again.

I had a company that oxides parts for local machine shops do it for me, after 4 rounds threw the barrel it already looks like its coming off.

the barrel is for my usc/ump and is polly rifled so i guessed it would come off pretty easy, I have asked them to plug the bore when my 308 comes in and they said they cant or something about the heat or ... heck i cant remember.

I just though i would ask thats all, i might get out and shoot it allot this weekend and see if i can finish shooting it out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 73 fastback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could run some JB bore paste through the bore </div></div>

whats that ?

It's basically polishing compound for rifle barrels. It's used to remove copper fouling by mechanical means. If over used, you'll start to remove barrel steel. Get some, work it into a patch that you will wrap around a snug fitting bore brush.

I am thinking the barrel on my USC is chrome lined so the oxide should come off. I have been wrong before and it may not be chrome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's basically polishing compound for rifle barrels. It's used to remove copper fouling by mechanical means. If over used, you'll start to remove barrel steel. Get some, work it into a patch that you will wrap around a snug fitting bore brush. </div></div>

Your arms will fall off before barrel steel is removed, assuming you are using proper cleaning procedures. The rod will do more damage than the JB will.

-----------------------------------
Krieger Barrels Inc,: Q&A

Q: Will a paste-type bore cleaner such as J.B. hurt a barrel during cleaning?

A: No. There is nothing that we can find that shows that it will harm the barrel provided you use a rod guide and refrain from exiting the muzzle.
--------------------------------------

Benchrest guys use JB in their uber accurate guns. If there was anything that could affect the bore, they do not use it.

It's great stuff for removing powder fouling. I have been using it for 20 years with great success.

it all shot out, i was told the oxide cannot get a good "grip" on polished surfaces such as bores... so after a 50 round box every thing feels and looks A-ok accuracy is spot on too just like before oxide

Rule of thumb is that you should always thoroughly scrub and clean any barrel after parkerizing, BO, or any other finish for that matter. A bore brush and any cleaner will rip though BO.

However...I had a Weatherby .300 years ago. Came parked from the factory. Inside and outside. (One of the few.) Threw the rounds all around the target. Sent it back. Came back to me "lapped". Looked about 50 to 80 grit. Bad juju. Left me...haven't played with Mr Weatherby since. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kingarmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rule of thumb is that you should always thoroughly scrub and clean any barrel after parkerizing, BO, or any other finish for that matter. A bore brush and any cleaner will rip though BO. </div></div>

i just did this last night, and you are spot on, the patches came out black as all hell so i ran a brush for a few min then i took a patch and cleaned it out, then i would let some solvent sit in the bore for 10 or 15 min then would scrub again repeated this until it was just about spotless.

its not a match rifle just a carbine and i feel its accuracy has not been effected, but i will get out the paper this coming week to test it for sure