• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel pictures

Auggie18

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2010
Louisiana
Hello guys. I just got a borescope (Lyman Borecam) and took some pictures of the barrel. The first three pictures are of the muzzle/crown area. The second three are of the middle of the barrel. The rifle is a Remington 700 20" barrel with a suppressor. I been having this rifle for the last two to three years, but an older gentleman had this rifle for approximately fifteen years. Do you guys think it is time for a new barrel?

Attachments

• IMG110101-001249F.JPG
    IMG110101-001249F.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG110101-001317F.JPG
    IMG110101-001317F.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG110101-001411F.JPG
    IMG110101-001411F.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG110101-001432F.JPG
    IMG110101-001432F.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG110101-001516F.JPG
    IMG110101-001516F.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG110101-001523F.JPG
    IMG110101-001523F.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 104
Bore scope help you assess the condition of a barrel, and tell you a lot about how your cleaning regime is working. But the most important factor as to whether you need a new barrel is really down to how it shoots. The only caveat to that is if you shoot a lot of matches and the barrel looks bad on the bore scope, you probably dont want to risk taking it to a match in case it goes south while you are shooting the match. A friend of mine that shot a lot of matches told me "all a bore scope does is scare you when you look down your barrel". What he meant was the even a good shooting barrel can look pretty ugly once it has a few rounds though it.

Having said all of that, those particular photos dont look good. But you really want to see what the chamber & throat areas look like. From what you posted already, I imagine the chamber end will look even worse.

The funny thing is that for the last year or so, I was shooting under 1 moa with the same ammo, then last week, it opened up to 2 moa. I thought that I was having a bad day, so I had a few of my friends shot just to make sure and they could not do any better. I then switch to a different ammo and I was back to sub moa.

All that matters is what the target tells you. IMO, borescopes are a waste of money.

The target doesn't lie. If it shoots, keep it. If it starts shooting worse, toss it.

Reactions: rydah
No idea how it shoots but it looks like Ripley killed an alien on it

You have no idea how much I appreciated that lol. Like the others have said, let the rounds on target help you make that decision.

I have an older 308 built by GAP that I used in competition. The borescope shows only a distant memory of rifling left in the throat area and The stoneypoint gauge proves that. But it still shoots sub MOA so who cares?

I had an AR15 barrel that finally gave up after a documented 6,000 rounds. Borescope showed terrifyingly large firecracks in the first 4 inches of barrel. We were thinking, "how did this thing not explode?"

The target is ultimately what decides when a barrel will stop shooting... but man that's one ugly barrel. I mean cripes, look at the that crown!

Wouldn't surprise me if its past its last leg. Not even my most neglected rifles look that bad.