• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel profile selection for lightweight rifle

FNF165

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2012
Hello everyone! I have not posted here for a couple of years, forgot my login and had to create another ID now that I am getting back into long range shooting. I currently have a very nice, very accurate, .308 built by William Roscoe at LPR but it’s a heavy beast that was not built for use as a field-carried weapon. I am moving to Colorado soon and have a 700-Police .308 that I want build into a precession 1000 yard rifle. I have a spare Kreiger 1/10 MTU 30 caliber barrel in my safe that I was going to use for this rifle, but have decided to sell it and make this build into a .260 rem that is light enough to carry, but not a true "mountain rifle" with a pencil barrel. It will be used primarily for long range target shooting and occasional hunting, there is a lot of public land in Colorado perfect for long-range shooting so I will be packing it in a few miles to target shoot but won’t be packing it above the timber-line to chase bighorn sheep around in the mountain scree & bolder fields where every ounce really counts. I just need to get back far enough to shoot where I am isolated and won't cause the granola-crunchers out bird watching to piss themselves when they see me with a big scary looking rifle in the backcountry.

What is the lightest Bartlein and/or Kreiger profile you would go with, considering that I will be fluting the barrel to save a little weight and to speed up cooling a bit? I am familiar with the non-fluted versions of the M40/M24 Bartlein and a MTU Kreiger profiles. Looking at the barrel weights listed on the Bartlein website, the only barrel lighter than the M40/M24 barrel profile is the "standard target" and it's only about 3oz lighter so having it fluted will make up that difference.

My top choice at the moment is a Bartlein 5R in a fluted M40/M24 profile, finished to 24" with an 8/1 instead of an 8.5/1 twist so I can shoot & stabilize the heavier rounds for the rare occasion I hunt with it. I do want it caped in case I decide on a suppressor someday. Am I on the right track here or do you think I could go to a lighter profile then a fluted M40/M24 Bartlein, or is there a Kreiger profile that might work just as well and save me some weight yet still have the advantages a larger diameter barrel gives you?

Not sure about what stock I will be using but that is not a consideration for what barrel I choose as I will order a 2.5 pound McMillan / Manners stock after I decide on a barrel, or use the M24 type H&S stock that came with it and have the channel opened up when its bedded if needed.

Thanks!

Re: Barrel profile selection for lightweight rifle

Bartlein bull sporter. It is a smidge thinner than the remington varmint. I have a fluted one at 24" in 243. Carries well and not too heavy.

If you were to put an MTU in a 2.5lb stock youd be all kinds of lopsided. Balance would be....wait...there would be none.

Look here:

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Contours-c1246-wp3382.htm

First table on the bottom has the standard remington varmint contour. If you go just a bit lighter than that and have it fluted, you should be able to keep a rifle with 2.5lb stock coming in around 7.5lbs.

#4 heavy sporter
or
#5 bull sporter

Remember, the estimated weight you are seeing on these is @ 27". Having it set to 24" finished length with the fluting will knock some additional weight off.

EDIT:
http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Fluting-c1246-wp3392.htm

There they show a #6 sporter (heavy bull sporter) coming in a 4lbs after fluting- it's 4.5 before. If you go with a #4 or #5 you won't see as much of a weight reduction, but it will certainly still be enough to notice and aid in balance.

Will flute a #3 contour. Not overly deep but will flute it.

I'm kinda lost though. Your saying a M40 type contour etc...that's around 6#.

Going to a Rem. Varmint contour alone you'll take about 1.4# out of the barrel and it will shoot just fine.

Your thinking about running a suppressor as well it looks like? If so you have to figure this in right away so you know what the min. muzzle diameter you will need for threading etc...

Think you have to narrow your specs. down some?

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Thanks everyone, that does narrow it down a lot Frank, was not considering how much that will effect the balance of rifle.

I was not looking at the sporter barrel contours, just match/straight and the M40/M24 was among the lightest. I am seeing a lot suppresors at the range lately, and even though I don't own one yet I really like them which is why I was thinking about getting a cap. Permits are easy to get in Texas, current wait is about 6 months, but I don't how easy it will be in Colorado where I am relocating to or what their current State laws are on suppresors so I need to check that out first.

I am doing the same build, went with #4 brux, heavy sporter. When finished out at 21", muzzle diameter will be .755. Looks like its going to be a real nice balance between a field hunting rifle and should still cause smiles at the bench. (thats the plan anyway)

I've heard several times that a # 5 unfluted is the minimum for an accuracy build, and any heavier is just for added weight. I know a lot of long range hunters that love the 5 1/2 contour, finishing at .750 at the muzzle on a 26 inch barrel.