• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel profile

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
I am going to rebarrel my Howa 1500, I want a 22" barrel. Looking at a Bartlien heavy varmint. I want a lot of weight to soak up the recoil, the factory barrel is 1.17" at the shank and .850" at the muzzle. In a 3.5# Bell and Carlson, the gun bucks pretty hard (not braked either).
This gun will be for range fun off a bench or bipod. Won't be shooting much past 7-800y or using it in comps so I'm not worried about getting max velocity with a 308. Its a 308 after all. I will be putting together a 6.5 for more competitive long range work.

Anyone ever cut a Bartlien heavy varmint around 22"? I worry the barrel will be thicker than most muzzle devices right before the threads.

Any other thoughts?

Griffin makes their Palladin brake/mount in 3/4" x 24, and you can get a Fat Bastard in the same. I have a Palladin on a 20" heavy palma with 3/4 x 24 muzzle, and it looks like it belongs there. I know going outside the standard thread limits your options, but I'm sure there are more than those two for a 3/4 threaded muzzle.

i've run A419 Sidewinder brakes on a 1.25" straight and it's fine. a hellfire match would be fine as well

i have a 3 port Heathen on a proof comp contour and 25" HV and it's fine as well on both

any of the bigger 4 port brakes should be no issue

3/4" thread isn't mandatory nor will it made the brake have a bigger diameter

i can get pics of those if it helps you

Reactions: jLorenzo
i've run A419 Sidewinder brakes on a 1.25" straight and it's fine. a hellfire match would be fine as well

i have a 3 port Heathen on a proof comp contour and 25" HV and it's fine as well on both

any of the bigger 4 port brakes should be no issue

3/4" thread isn't mandatory nor will it made the brake have a bigger diameter

i can get pics of those if it helps you
Pics would be cool thanks

I am going to rebarrel my Howa 1500, I want a 22" barrel. Looking at a Bartlien heavy varmint. I want a lot of weight to soak up the recoil, the factory barrel is 1.17" at the shank and .850" at the muzzle. In a 3.5# Bell and Carlson, the gun bucks pretty hard (not braked either).
This gun will be for range fun off a bench or bipod. Won't be shooting much past 7-800y or using it in comps so I'm not worried about getting max velocity with a 308. Its a 308 after all. I will be putting together a 6.5 for more competitive long range work.

Anyone ever cut a Bartlien heavy varmint around 22"? I worry the barrel will be thicker than most muzzle devices right before the threads.

Any other thoughts?
Nut prefit or gunsmith? If the latter, who?

You're right. I didn't mean to imply that those devices are any larger. I just figured if someone was going to have a barrel that thick and heavy, why would they cut down the part that supports the crown to where there's only about .180ish thickness there. May not make a difference on a cut rifled barrel, but if we're going with the more is better theory, why not go all the way to the end of the barrel. Pic of the Griffin Palladin on .945 muzzle
20230228_193200.jpg

Reactions: jLorenzo
Bartlien #4 24” hellfire match

Proof 22”, 1” at muzzle, sidewinder

Attachments

• 6A9AD57E-2EFB-4F53-B670-F6A45EB6EFE4.jpeg
    6A9AD57E-2EFB-4F53-B670-F6A45EB6EFE4.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 34
  • A419AB11-FE68-4676-A911-73663D6F5E7D.jpeg
    A419AB11-FE68-4676-A911-73663D6F5E7D.jpeg
    699.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited: