• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Rankings

Baddog 0302

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2013
Panhandle of FLA
A while back on another forum there was a barrel rankings chart,call them Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3. Now for the most part these were just personal opinions , but repete usage says a lot. Also, some shops selling barrels AND pre-fits only handle Tier 1 barrels , "bugholes"being one.
Your comments, and remember if you use more that one please say so.

I mean, barrel that doesn’t perform. You’ll be hard pressed to find one. That being said PVA’s new button rifled blanks (Osprey Barrel Works) May be a force to be reckoned with. I’m interested to see how folks like them but the initial reports look good. With today’s technology I’m not sure any barrels fall out side of the tier one label.

Reactions: bohem
Right now I think all barrels are getting so close. From button the cut rifled. Just my opinion but I have also become a huge fan of criterion my go to now great price and shoot lights out. But no complaints on brux bartlein or kreiger all shoot great. Want to try a hawkhill next

I mean, barrel that doesn’t perform. You’ll be hard pressed to find one. That being said PVA’s new button rifled blanks (Osprey Barrel Works) May be a force to be reckoned with. I’m interested to see how folks like them but the initial reports look good. With today’s technology I’m not sure any barrels fall out side of the tier one label.
Id be interested in the Osprey barrel from PVA as well. Listened to the podcast and should be worth a look.

Reactions: bohem
If you want to see who is on top these days I recommend going to the Williamsport Benchrest club website and take a look at the match results and the equipment list. For rimfire take a look at the American Rimfire Association ARA website and look at their match results and equipment list. Unlike PRS, Benchrest is as much an equipment and reloading competition as it is skill.

Lothar ... cough... walter

🤣 Aight I might have one LW that's hammering right now.....

55d22236-3196-4ae3-be27-44de9ba5d91e_text.gif

Reactions: Mj30wilson900
I started out shooting Bartlein. Great barrels! I've since mainly used PVA's barrels (Rock Creek?) and they've been great to me as well. The last two years I've been using Proof SS barrels. No complaints there either. Anymore I tend to just buy what's available in shouldered pre-fits and Proof are always available and a lot less than the rest. As was said earlier, I'm in the category of not being good enough to "shoot the difference". YMMV.

Reactions: Stoweit
Alright if you want a real answer I will do my best to rank barrels and speak a little on my reasoning and experience. I don't claim to know it all and this list really is nothing more than arbitrary preference.

1st tier. Krieger. Krieger is showing up a lot at the Williamsport 1000 yard Benchrest Club in PA. They are also used by top ranked Tactical Smiths like Mike at Tac Ops and Terry Cross. They have been in business a very long time and make an outstanding barrel. However they don't make small Sporter contours if that is what you are after. I think #5 is as small as they go fo 30 cal and 7mm. I don't think very many will argue that Krieger is not 1st tier.

1st tier Bartlein. The guys who founded Bartlein used to work for Krieger and are using some of the most advanced computerized barrel making equipment in existence. They also have a strong Benchrest following. They can do any contour, any rifling and gain twist as requested. Again I don't think that many will argue that Bartlein isn't 1 st tier.

1st tier Hawk Hill. These guys are a smaller shop and are putting out a consistent product and are winning some matches. Good following is Tactical Circles. Not well known in Benchrest but seem to be holding their own.

1st Tier Proof Research- these guys pioneered carbon barrels but also make regular cut rifled stainless barrels. Another upgraded shop with good technology and gaining market share in Tactical Circles.

1st tier-. Mike Rock worked with Krieger under Boots Obermeyer. They make excellent barrels. They also l believe do the drilling for another top maker Mueller. They are also making a line of button rifled barrels for PVA have a good following. I believe they have been tied up most of the year with government contracts and are not taking orders at this time.

1st tier Mueller Works. Dan Mueller knows how to lapp a custom barrel. His 22 Rimfire barrels are in very high demand and are made of unobtainium. They are button rifled which is preferred for 22 Rimfire since it takes so long to break in and smooth out a cut rifled barrel with 22 Rimfire. Very strong in Rimfire Benchrest. Their cut rifled center-fire barrels are great as well.

Benchmark 1st tier-. Benchmark is well known for rimfire as well. They have a strong following in Rimfire Benchrest and make great center-fire barrels as well. I think benchmark had lots of barrels in the most recent PRS blog ranking and are gaining market share against several cut rifling manufacturers while other button makers have lost market share.

1st tier. Schneider, Maker of the famous M40 Marine Sniper barrels. They are well known in Tactical Circles. Not a lot in Benchrest but seem to have a consistent product for the M40. Don't want them pointed at me.

Shilen select match, 1st tier. A strong Benchrest following. Shilen rachet 22 Rimfire barrels along with Mueller and Benchmark represent the 3 top Rimfire competitors in today's Benchrest. They also make excellent center-fire barrels and are atop name in the industry. They do make 2nd rate barrels and I will put them on my 2nd tier list.

Brux 1st tier. Making excellent cut rifled barrels and deserve recognition. Not as old as some of the other companies but gaining market share and winning matches. I have read that sometimes their barrels are tight and some say they can't get into a high node reloading because of pressure issues. Very high quality.

Other 1st tier makers out of business Broughton, Obermeyer is retired I believe,

2nd tier. These are mostly top quality makers but have lost market share for one reason or another. Not updating equipment or not fixing and addressing problems with satisfaction.

Lilja-. Used to be the big name in Rimfire. I have heard many reports of them refusing to replace or correct a barrel that didn't shoot to standards. Button rifling. Have made great barrels and I'm sure continue to do so but like I said have slid in market share.

Hart-. Hart- used to be one of the biggest names in shooting. Continue to make great quality button barrels but don't have the market share they used to have. Still seen in Benchrest but mostly holdovers from their glory days. Would have been top tier 20 or 30 years ago for sure.

Pack Nor-. High quality button maker. Their shop burned down a year or 2 ago and they have rebuilt. Haven't seen a barrel out of the new shop yet. Jury is still out.

Douglas-. Another big name from yesteryear. Great quality button maker but don't have the market share they used to have.

Centurion-. These are the button rifled devision of Krieger. Not their flagship barrels but seem to make great barrels for the money and have a good following. Probably similar to the PVA button barrels that Rock Creek is making.

3rd tier,. Mcgowen, Saturn, ER Shaw, Green mountain. These guys never really where top contenders. They make barrels better than factory but aren't considered true precision.

4th tier. Factory barrels.

Outliers. There are some outliers that I don't really know where to rank.

K and P seem to be making great barrels Chad at LRI puts them on his rifles and seems to be very happy. Not sure exactly where to rank them but I'm leaning toward 1st tier.

MPA barrels. Masterpiece arms bought Spencer barrels some time back. I don't know if they are continuing to make their own barrels. I have heard they are using X caliber barrels. I'm leaning toward 2nd tier.

Other outliers include high quality factory barrels like found on Anchutz, Sako TRG rifles and FNH rifles. Don't want these pointed at me either.

Last edited:
Green Mountain are sleepers; if I had to do it again I’d have listened to @reubenski and a few others and had one done up by Keystone for my Origin build rather then the Krieger and saved a few dollars.

You are right reubenski. I have shot a McGowen some but never owned one. It very well may deserve to be in the 2nd tier group. If memory serves my correct haven't they been in recovery since a hard patch some years back? Did they change hands? If you have any equipment list or records or articles related to McGowen barrels please post a link. I'd be interested to read.

Centurion-. These are the button rifled devision of Krieger. Not their flagship barrels but seem to make great barrels for the money and have a good following. Probably similar to the PVA button barrels that Rock Creek is making.
I am assuming you meant Criterion here??? Never heard of Centurion barrels.

Yes that is correct. Auto correct is not my friend. Like I said guys this is just my arbitrary list and I wrote down a little about my reasoning. You are certainly encouraged to post your own list but please give us a little bit about why you rank them the way you do. I'm not forbidding individual experience but years of Benchrest lists and PRS ranking count more than " my uncle had one that was great"

Last edited:
Alright if you want a real answer I will do my best to rank barrels and speak a little on my reasoning and experience. I don't claim to know it all and this list really is nothing more than arbitrary preference.

1st tier. Krieger. Krieger is showing up a lot at the Williamsport 1000 yard Benchrest Club in PA. They are also used by top ranked Tactical Smiths like Mike at Tac Ops and Terry Cross. They have been in business a very long time and make an outstanding barrel. However they don't make small Sporter contours if that is what you are after. I think #5 is as small as they go fo 30 cal and 7mm. I don't think very many will argue that Krieger is not 1st tier.

1st tier Bartlein. The guys who founded Bartlein used to work for Krieger and are using some of the most advanced computerized barrel making equipment in existence. They also have a strong Benchrest following. They can do any contour, any rifling and gain twist as requested. Again I don't think that many will argue that Bartlein isn't 1 st tier.

1st tier Hawk Hill. These guys are a smaller shop and are putting out a consistent product and are winning some matches. Good following is Tactical Circles. Not well known in Benchrest but seem to be holding their own.

1st Tier Proof Research- these guys pioneered carbon barrels but also make regular cut rifled stainless barrels. Another upgraded shop with good technology and gaining market share in Tactical Circles.

1st tier-. Mike Rock worked with Krieger under Boots Obermeyer. They make excellent barrels. They also l believe do the drilling for another top maker Mueller. They are also making a line of button rifled barrels for PVA have a good following. I believe they have been tied up most of the year with government contracts and are not taking orders at this time.

1st tier Mueller Works. Dan Mueller knows how to lapp a custom barrel. His 22 Rimfire barrels are in very high demand and are made of unobtainium. They are button rifled which is preferred for 22 Rimfire since it takes so long to break in and smooth out a cut rifled barrel with 22 Rimfire. Very strong in Rimfire Benchrest. Their cut rifled center-fire barrels are great as well.

Benchmark 1st tier-. Benchmark is well known for rimfire as well. They have a strong following in Rimfire Benchrest and make great center-fire barrels as well. I think benchmark had lots of barrels in the most recent PRS blog ranking and are gaining market share against several cut rifling manufacturers while other button makers have lost market share.

1st tier. Schneider, Maker of the famous M40 Marine Sniper barrels. They are well known in Tactical Circles. Not a lot in Benchrest but seem to have a consistent product for the M40. Don't want them pointed at me.

Shilen select match, 1st tier. A strong Benchrest following. Shilen rachet 22 Rimfire barrels along with Mueller and Benchmark represent the 3 top Rimfire competitors in today's Benchrest. They also make excellent center-fire barrels and are atop name in the industry. They do make 2nd rate barrels and I will put them on my 2nd tier list.

Brux 1st tier. Making excellent cut rifled barrels and deserve recognition. Not as old as some of the other companies but gaining market share and winning matches. I have read that sometimes their barrels are tight and some say they can't get into a high node reloading because of pressure issues. Very high quality.

Other 1st tier makers out of business Broughton, Obermeyer is retired I believe,

2nd tier. These are mostly top quality makers but have lost market share for one reason or another. Not updating equipment or not fixing and addressing problems with satisfaction.

Lilja-. Used to be the big name in Rimfire. I have heard many reports of them refusing to replace or correct a barrel that didn't shoot to standards. Button rifling. Have made great barrels and I'm sure continue to do so but like I said have slid in market share.

Hart-. Hart- used to be one of the biggest names in shooting. Continue to make great quality button barrels but don't have the market share they used to have. Still seen in Benchrest but mostly holdovers from their glory days. Would have been top tier 20 or 30 years ago for sure.

Pack Nor-. High quality button maker. Their shop burned down a year or 2 ago and they have rebuilt. Haven't seen a barrel out of the new shop yet. Jury is still out.

Douglas-. Another big name from yesteryear. Great quality button maker but don't have the market share they used to have.

3rd tier,. Mcgowen, Saturn, ER Shaw, Green mountain. These guys never really where top contenders. They make barrels better than factory but aren't considered true precision.

4th tier. Factory barrels.

Outliers. There are some outliers that I don't really know where to rank.

K and P seem to be making great barrels Chad at LRI puts them on his rifles and seems to be very happy. Not sure exactly where to rank them but I'm leaning toward 1st tier.

MPA barrels. Masterpiece arms bought Spencer barrels some time back. I don't know if they are continuing to make their own barrels. I have heard they are using X caliber barrels. I'm leaning toward 2nd tier.

Other outliers include high quality factory barrels like found on Anchutz, Sako TRG rifles and FNH rifles. Don't want these pointed at me either.

I'm pretty sure MPA put the Xcaliber barrels on the cheaper production guns. The BA and the rest of the non-price point rifles will get the MPA Spencer barrels.

The MPA/Spencer barrels I've had are lights out, and leave nothing to be desired from the Bartlein, Krieger, and Proof barrels I've had or have been behind.

Reactions: NamibHunter
I think we are very lucky to live in a time where everything is made so well that a $200 to $400 barrel shoot the same. I love my criterion barrels. But also had great kreiger bartlein ect. I can't complain when shooting over 1 mile and my criterion stacks them again over top brands. I do want to get a new bartlein barrel claiming double the life prolly worth it for that at $600.

Hey I can definitely respect your loyalty to McGowen. It pains me to put Hart as anything less than 1st tier. Im just going by the numbers that I see and the leader boards. Any of these manufacturers can put out an excellent barrel. And any can screw one up. In the barrel game consistency is key.

I really can’t believe buying an aftermarket barrel from any established manufacturer will make a huge difference to 90% of shooters.
ESPECIALLY if that shooter is a competent reloaded who can tailor his load to the gun.
He’ll, maybe 95%.

I’ve alsways run either Bartlien or
kreiger in that order but it really doesn’t matter, they’re Equal

I’ve been really happy with my Shilen(6), Brux(2)and bartlein barrels(2).
The absolutely most amazing barrels I’ve had was one of the Shilen’s 6.5mm and one of the Brux 7 mm, those two were crazy good.

I’ve got a handful of bartlein, and a couple shilen. Both brands have been good to me. Probably shoot better than I am capable of anyway.

I’ve been really happy with my Shilen(6), Brux(2)and bartlein barrels(2).
The absolutely most amazing barrels I’ve had was one of the Shilen’s 6.5mm and one of the Brux 7 mm, those two were crazy good.
Did the shilen hold up good at long range? I haven't shot a shilen for years. I use to use then for all my hunting barrels with great success just never long range shooting

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know of a barrel manufacturer that stocks .277 cal Chromemoly barrels in the tighter twist rates ie 1:8, 1:8.5 ?

want to throw a 20” rem Varmint contour barrel on my Pre-64 M70 and want to be able to blue it and look “somewhat” original

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone know of a barrel manufacturer that stocks .277 cal Chromemoly barrels in the tighter twist rates ie 1:8, 1:8.5 ?

want to throw a 20” rem Varmint contour barrel on my Pre-64 M70 and want to be able to blue it and look “somewhat” original
With the fast twist 270 I'm thinking going to have to be a order or wait. I looked awhile ago never found anything. Maybe preferred barrel blanks might be fastest idk

Reactions: HogsLife
With the fast twist 270 I'm thinking going to have to be a order or wait. I looked awhile ago never found anything. Maybe preferred barrel blanks might be fastest idk

yeah 10-4. Kinda figured but wasn’t sure cuz I know a lot of guys are rebarrel inch their 1:10 270’s in favor of the 1:8.5 to run the heavys. And now we have that 6.8 Western

Probably just give Douglas a call and order

yeah 10-4. Kinda figured but wasn’t sure cuz I know a lot of guys are rebarrel inch their 1:10 270’s in favor of the 1:8.5 to run the heavys. And now we have that 6.8 Western

Probably just give Douglas a call and order
I wanted a fast twist 270 but the wait was very long and no 170 bergers so I gave up on the idea. Still would like to try it one day

Reactions: HogsLife
I wanted a fast twist 270 but the wait was very long and no 170 bergers so I gave up on the idea. Still would like to try it one day

yeah it’s currently a factory OG m70 in a 270 sporter was thing about just having it done in a 30-06 but a lightweight fast twist 270 or 270wsm sounds fun

yeah it’s currently a factory OG m70 in a 270 sporter was thing about just having it done in a 30-06 but a lightweight fast twist 270 or 270wsm sounds fun
I was looking at 270 Weatherby or 270 wsm. But I might end up trying a 270-300 win mag once the 170 bergers come more open. Might be a few years to get everything caught up lol

I don’t really pay a ton of attention to what make of barrel I’m shooting these days. Most everything I own is made by Kreiger, Bartlein, Proof, AI, or Desert Tech. Honestly, on some of my rifles, or for some pre-fits, I don’t even remember who made the barrel.

Im a decent shooter, but once I find a load that works best for a given rifle, they all seem to shoot better than me.

25 to 30 years ago I would have said Douglas or Shilen as I had a couple of customs built in the 90s with them that shot lights out. They are still great barrels IMHO.

Today I think Krieger is probably the top of the tier 1s with Bartlein right there as well. I have a bartlein on a 338 that shoots half moa or less consistently. I shot the tightest group of my life with it this past winter, a .029 5 shot group at a hundred running 265ABLRs over IMR4350. Inside 1250 yards it is literally a point dial and shoot gun. It goes ding on one to half moa targets every time with boring regularity. I have had several Krieger barrels as well and they have all been good, no complaints. I have only owned the one Bartlein that is why I would give the nod to Krieger as they have a more storied history at this point.

Attachments

• 5AB09332-F909-4F09-B463-4B5E680350A4.jpeg
    5AB09332-F909-4F09-B463-4B5E680350A4.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 38407553-43B7-4E6D-BDBE-6C872C6FD5D2.jpeg
    38407553-43B7-4E6D-BDBE-6C872C6FD5D2.jpeg
    791.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 73DFD37D-BCFE-4C90-8CFE-1801977DF1FA.jpeg
    73DFD37D-BCFE-4C90-8CFE-1801977DF1FA.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: BurtG
A while back on another forum there was a barrel rankings chart,call them Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3. Now for the most part these were just personal opinions , but repete usage says a lot. Also, some shops selling barrels AND pre-fits only handle Tier 1 barrels , "bugholes"being one.
Your comments, and remember if you use more that one please say so.