• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrel rust AHH!!

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
So I just noticed some small rust beginning to form on the outer part of my barrel and on the back part of the firing pin on my Remington 700 SPS tac. It had some small rust on the back of the firing pin when I bought the rifle but I'm not sure if its getting worse or not. But I don't feel like sit back and watching it spread before I figure I should do something about it. Iv taken it out only twice since I got it about 2 months ago and I have had it in a TacForce Stryker bag when its at home in doors so I don't think that could be the problem even tho I live fairly close to the beach. I have never put any water on the barrel or anything but the stock once but a very damp hand towel and I made sure the barrel wasn't touched and dried as soon as I got the water on the stock. I shoot in dry desert but I've seen people shoot in snow and rain and not have a rust problem so I'm thinking just the way my gun was stored at the factory was the problem.

So anyone have any tips or anything to help me get rid of the rust and prevent it from coming back again with out taking the bluing off my barrel and scratching it all to hell??

Re: Barrel rust AHH!!

So you don't think I need to take any 000 steel wool to it? Just apply this Eesox? I wanna make sure I get the rusting to stop.. get it removed and what ever I use wont take the bluing out of the barrel.

I've read over their web site on the Eesox and it talks about not mixing with cleaning chemicals and its an all in 1 cleaner. Would this be ok to put down the barrel to prevent rust after I've cleaned the barrel as a gun lube/rust preventive or will I just need to use this to clean my rifle and not have to use my Hoppes #9 cleaners anymore??

Eesox will work in the barrel however I use oil in the bore because I use a heavily duty copper remover (Sweets.) Eesox will take the rust off the outside. A rag will work if the rust is light, it it's really heavy some light steel wool wouldn't hurt. Once your gun is coated with Eesox you won't have anymore rust problems.

I have used Eesox as an everything cleaner but I think it works best as a preventative coating.

Am I missing something here? Take a little fine steel wool to it then wipe things down with an oily rag. The phrase "a well oiled gun" came about because of the need to control rust, corrosion, etc. from humidity, the salt in your sweat, etc.

Robert Whitley

Ok yea that sounds like it will work. Thanks guys.

And a quick question I have Tipton Truly Remarkable Bore Cleaning Solvent and Hoppe's #9 Bore Cleaning Solvent. Don't I need a lube or something to put down the barrel after I'm done? I was told to just get those to clean and I was good but I thought you always needed to put like a lube down the barrel after your done with those 2.

Also to add to roberts thread dont store guns in soft bags as they attract moisture and make guns rust especialy if they go into them hot or in high humidity. if you have to realy oil them up WD40 or CRC or kroil will also help remove the rust but use a good oil every time you use it and that will help.

Anyone know where i can pick up some of this Eesox?
I don't see any places to buy some.

I have been using Birchwood Casey Sheath for a long time with good results.

I use it on any metal parts inside or out (including the bore). Make sure you apply a good coating and wipe off any excess. I use a good quality paint brush to work it into hard to get to places and it also removes any excess. I have not seen any rust anywhere it was applied properly.

As a last step to cleaning, I apply it to the inside of my barrel and then run a dry patch through to remove any excess. Before shooting I run a couple more dry patches to get the rest out.

I am sure other people do it differently but this has worked for me for a long time.

I do not store guns in any type of "sock", bag or case.

Good luck,

Joe

It's <span style="font-weight: bold">Eezox</span>. There ain't no sox to it
wink.gif

Midway carries it now.

Ohhhh haha that could explain why it never came up^ haha

Just pulled my rifle out and the rust is spreading pretty quickly.. I just ordered some kroil oil and Eezox off midway so hopefully I get it taken away.

stop storing it in the soft case and you wont have much of a problem.

Dude ,just take some paper towels or fine steel wool if you have to and good ole' WD40 or something, wipe the surface rust off and then choose your favorite oil and oil the gun down thoroughly.. Place back into bag and proceed to apply oil every couple months.. The surface rust you already have might leave some staining/ discoloration after removed and there's nothing you can do for that except for a full refinish. Earl is your friend !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-MadDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using Birchwood Casey Sheath for a long time with good results.</div></div>
Same here; good stuff, love the smell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stop storing it in the soft case and you wont have much of a problem. </div></div>

My guns are always stored in drag bags for months on end sometimes and I never have an issue. But, mine are all in my bedroom in a dry environment and not in a basement or something...

Yea I just ordered some Eezox and am planning on throwing a few moisture capture packets in my drag bag.. But if that doesnt work I guess ill have to drop some $$ on a good hard case. But from yesterday its gotten a lot worse it went from a small blotch to a blotch of 2 inches long...

Do I need to break down the rifle out of the stock?? Cause I have a feeling the rust isnt just on the top of the barrel.

And its in a pretty dry inviorment in my closet. I still live by the beach but its not like I have it in a shed or anything.

Got rust on my remington barrel some years ago and applied gunslick. That took care of the rust. Then i put a mouist absorbing ball in my gun locker. I have not had anymore problems whit rust since then.

But remember to always store your gun muzzle down, not in a case and keep it well lubricated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CK_32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea I just ordered some Eezox and am planning on throwing a few moisture capture packets in my drag bag.. But if that doesnt work I guess ill have to drop some $$ on a good hard case. But from yesterday its gotten a lot worse it went from a small blotch to a blotch of 2 inches long...

Do I need to break down the rifle out of the stock?? Cause I have a feeling the rust isnt just on the top of the barrel. </div></div>

I would pull the stock. Mine had a spot next to the trigger pins that started to pit the action and mine stayed saturated in oil. I finally had mine stripped and duracoated to prevent rust. I'm not a big fan of the SPS finishes. I never store my stuff in a humid area, they stay in a closet in a room with my reloading setup that is very dry and temperature steady out of the case and are soaked in Break free with CLP oil and handled with rags when put up, not bare hands. Oil from hands and contains salts that will eat finishes over time and blood and bug repellant are the worst finish eaters I've dealt with. I have a 10/22 stock that has no finish in the grip areas due to bug repellant

#1- Storing a gun in a hard case is worse than a soft case.
#2- Never store rifle muzzle down.. I've seen what happens in this case and the last few inches of barrel at the muzzle can and will rust if left long enough.

That's just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would pull the stock. Mine had a spot next to the trigger pins that started to pit the action and mine stayed saturated in oil. I finally had mine stripped and duracoated to prevent rust. I'm not a big fan of the SPS finishes. I never store my stuff in a humid area, they stay in a closet in a room with my reloading setup that is very dry and temperature steady out of the case and are soaked in Break free with CLP oil and handled with rags when put up, not bare hands. Oil from hands and contains salts that will eat finishes over time and blood and bug repellant are the worst finish eaters I've dealt with. I have a 10/22 stock that has no finish in the grip areas due to bug repellant </div></div>

Yea Im scared on what I might run into after i pull it off the stock
frown.gif

i always use a bronze brush to remove rust. it wont take off blueing, just rust. i think steel wool will. just to save you from having to touch up the blue. oh and humidity is everywhere. i dont think just having a closed door will stop it, and unless the room is sealed airtight and you have a dehumidifier in there its going to still be almost as humid. having a device in the safe to eliminate humidity will help, but again unless your safe is airtight, as you remove humidity, more will replace it. i have one of the plug in dehumidifiers and it dries out after plugging it in to recharge, but in a day or so its pellets have changed colors and its time to plug in again. i dont mess with it much anymore, i just keep stuff wiped down, oiled or sprayed and in a gunsock. the reason i say this is simply becaust of dust. i keep my stuff in gunsocks more for dust protection than anything else. the top of the door or my safe always gets dusty. my stuff inside always gets dusty. if dust gets in there, water vapor can too.

my snake cage is ventilated and just to keep humidity up it needs sprayed often in there. when the humidity leaves the cage, it goes to the environment, the house. they seek to be equal like water finds its own level. im not saying the levels wont be identical, but its going to try and equalize out.

ive always heard if you get it too dry, you risk drying the wood in your stocks to a point where its brittle. wood needs a little moisture for strength doesnt it? dryer isnt always better or best. try this link, its got some good info...
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-24411.html

Yea i just think its from my sweaty finger prints and i looked at it and its half rust half dust from where we went shooting the rust is just holding onto to dust in those areas and the rust is still the same basic size. But my cousin said he has his in soft bags and no bags at all and he lives closer to the beach then i do and said none of his guns rust just cause he oils them once a month so i think as long as i do that ill be just fine..

Just waiting on midway to ship me my oils.

But to be clear this WILL NOT take the bluing off my barrel or parts?

Eezox worked.. Thank a lot guys.. My guns never looked so good
smile.gif

It took the rust right off and gave it a clean shine.. The only thing it didn't fully take the rust off of was sling swivels nobs on the stock. Those kept a little bit of the rust but other than that AMAZING STUFF!