• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing barrel scopes!

jkkfam89

Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Bloomfield
I am a master technician for endoscopes (Medical), both flexible and rigid. I work on and design scopes for surgeries.
I want to know how many would be interested is rigid scopes (12", 18", and 22"). I am starting to put some together and would love to see what you guys think. The scopes will have a small portable light source that connects to the scope. No idea on price or anythin, just want to know who would be interested and I will probably give one or two away to get feedback!

Re: barrel scopes!

I think it would be a great idea, and I would be interested in getting something like that at some point if the cost wasn't too prohibitive.

My interest would be for the 18" model. A mirror on the end so you're looking 'up' at the lands and grooves would be important, as well. A 90 degree eyepiece on the end would be a nice option, but not a must.

Thanks!
smile.gif
-Al

I would be very interested. I would be interested in a 20" or 22" if possible to try out for review..

I think an 18" version would be optimal, except for barrels exceeding 28" or so. Between action length, etc., that should permit viewing the entire bore length using both ends for access. The concept of a distal angle of less than straight and more than right angle is interesting, but I think it would also necessitate the capability to refine the focus. Right angle proximal (eyepiece) would seem more utilitarian. I would suggest the tube have an external coating, similar to Teflon, to ease any fears about bore contact. Experience with the Hawkeye suggests that its resolution is more than adequate.

Greg

Sorry. I already have 2 Hawkeye borescopes. But it would have been nice 6 or 8 years ago.

These scopes are made with rod lenses and the longer the scope, the more of a chance for breakage. I am looking at putting a image bundle (Fiber optic) into these. This way, we could go very long with them

The most important question.......

What is the outside diameter of the probe and tube?
This is what limits most non-weapon scopes from use in small-bore weapons.
I have a borescope that will not fit anything smaller than a .243 bore.
I have seen many on the market that will not fit anything smaller than a 50 cal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkkfam89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have one right now at 3mm at 18 inches </div></div>
That's pretty damn small. That would certainly work.
Longer, in the same diameter, would be preferred.

I'm very interested.

PM inbound

If anyone is in need of a scope bad, I have some medical one that are 3mm by 18inches right now. They are 0 degree. Similar to the ones I am building.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkkfam89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AlNyhus, What about a 70 degree distal end? </div></div>

That would work just fine.
cool.gif

There's a place in the market for these...good thinking on your part.
smile.gif
-Al

Very interested. I would love to have a borescope. Cost would be the biggest issue. I would think that a 3mm fiber optic scope would be a real challenge to do without getting a bad "honeycomb" effect from the fiber optics. We have an old EGD scope at the hospital that has a few of the fibers broken and the view has scattered black dots in it. Even with this sizes scope, the fiber optics creates a noticeable "honeycomb" effect on the monitor. I guess it would depend on how fine your optical fibers were. An angled tip would be an essential, I would think. Surgical scopes come in various angles, but I've liked the 30 degree scope the best. I think that would work well for this application as well. It would be nice to have the option to attach a video monitor to it as well, like the surgical scopes use. For my needs a 5mm scope would be sufficient. The only reason to go smaller would be for 17 cal. barrel, and then a 4 mm scope should be fine. The larger the diameter, the better the resolution would be. I agree that 18" would be optimal length

Again, cost would be the deciding factor for me. I'm not a gunsmith, so I wouldn't use one every day. However, I have considered buying one but just can't justify shelling out over $600 for one. If you could make a descent quality borescope at around the $200 to $300 price-point, you would have a winner. Not sure if that's possible, but I'd be game. PM sent.

John, I actually just produced a 2.0mm scope with 60k fibers for spine surgeries. It get no honeycombs and it is very durable. I know what you're saying though.

Your benchmark would be the Hawkeye for cost and efficacy. I have one and would be willing to do a comparison when you're ready.

I'm super interested, keep us posted!

More than interested, can you Pm more details about it. I want one now.

Very interested and 18" would work fine as I use switch barrel rigs so the barrel is off often.

wade

I hope he sees my PM and gets back to me soon before Im forced to go elsewhere.

Very interested, but I doubt I can get the department to buy one. Still, keep me in mind...