Barrel Selection for 223?

gunz213

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
I recently got a CZ 527 for $400 and I would like to replace the barrel and stock. I know I want pac-nor to to the barrel work and since I plan on only using 69+ grain bullets I want a 1/7 twist. The only thing I can't decide on is what type of rifiling to get. I was thinking either 3 grove or polygonal but I'm not sure which woyld be best.

Does anyone have experiance with either?

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Re: Barrel Selection for 223?

I think Pac Nor is a great company and they have been a pleasure to work with, but my experience with them has been limited to 1 barrel. So my limited experience does not represent anything else than that one experience I had.

I got one of their .224 blanks with a 3 groove rifling in 1-8" twist. I cut, threaded and chambered it as a 22-250 with fast twist. I built this one the same way as I do all mine. For whatever reason this barrel would not shoot. So i thought it may have been something I did. So I cut out the chamber (I had a 3" 1.250" section) and I rebarreled it as a .223 for a bolt gun. Chamber and throat looked great. Same deal, it would just not shoot anything less than 1 MOA consistently.

So I went ahead and figured I would give it another shot as a different configuration. I cut off the chamber and made it into an AR blank. I chambered it, headspaced it with the bolt and barrel extension. I profiled the barrel and fit the gas system. Everything looked beautiful. Again, this barrel would not shoot anything less than 1 MOA with my handloads and all factory ammo I tested.

So now I have a nice looking 18" barreled AR upper that wont shoot.

I dont know if I just got a bad barrel or if it has something to do with a 3 groove. Anymore I just stick with standard 5-6 Groove and I have been happy.

I still like Pac Nor and I have heard great things about them, but I think I will just stick with my normal top 3 barrels.

Mark

kyreloader

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
Bluegrass State of Kentucky

Again, only a one barrel experience.

I had my Ruger M77 rebarreled by PacNor to a 3 groove barrel finished at 26 inches and chambered in .25-06 by them. They also trued the action for me too while it was there.

My 3 groove shoots very well for me. The barrel seems to be a fast barrel, meaning I get to max velocity/pressure with less than max listed loads. I am getting 3150 fps with <1/2 MOA precision with 115g Berger VLDs and H1000 powder.

I went with the 3 groove barrel because one of the highpower shooters that I know very well and respect greatly, shoots 3 groove .223 with 90g JLKs and is frequently in the winners circle.

Just my experience, but I will do a 3 groove again.

gunz213

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast

Thanks for all the info. I also talked to pac nor and they recommended a 5L barrel, so I went with their suggestion and placed my order. Now the waiting game begins.