• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel selection/recommendations

Ruger No. 1

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2011
Newbie question post......

I'm a big single shot rifle fan, mainly Rugers, but all makes interest me. In my collection is a Ruger No. 3 that I'm going to build a custom rifle off of.

Other than an extractor change, I'm good to go for the action (the trigger will be swapped out also, but that's a no brainer).

I've been researching the .260 remington after a recommendation from one of your members and was told that I should throw out my question here for the best answer.

I'm looking for recommendations for the best barrel manufacturer out there to make me a 20" barrel, chambered in .260 Rem. for the Ruger No. 3 action. This barrel must have the same contour as the OEM barrel.

The rifle will be used to hunt blacktail deer, so I'd like to keep my bullet selection in the 120 to 140 gr. range, so I need to know the rate of twist that will be stabilize the best chosen weight bullet; of which I need help choosing.

Ammo will be handloaded, so off the shelf ammo is not a limiting factor.

I do appreciate any information given and thanks you ahead of time for any and all input.

I tried to list out all the criteria I could think, I'm sure I missed something though. If there is more information needed to help me get the best barrel I could get, please let me know..

Thanks in advance

Ruger No. 1

Re: barrel selection/recommendations

8.5 twist should work well for you. Bownells has a pretty good selection of factory contour blanks available.

I just went through your exercise and ended up with a Broughton 1/8 It appeared to me that Bartlien and Broughton have the best reputations for 6.5 barrels. That being said, I am currently using a Kreiger on a 6.5 X 47L and it holds 1/4 MOA when I am up to it.

I'm sure Bartlien could turn out whatever you're looking for. They're putting a 5r 8.5 twist .260 bbl on a Tikka 595 action for me as I type. Very pleasant and helpful guys who aren't out to soak you and will thoroughly answer all your questions as though you're not an idiot when it comes to technical aspects. Even if you are.

I could give you my opinions re: twist, bullet weight, etc., but you'd be much better served emailing them.

So to have all my ducks in a row before I email or call these folks, what information should I have on hand?

Barrel Length: 20"
Bullet Weight: 120 to 140 gr.
Rate of Twist: let them decide?
Barrel Contour: Ruger No. 1 RSI

I do greatly appreciate the information and thank you all..

Ruger No. 1

GA Precision uses this on their all-around Rock rifle:

22" barrel
1/11 twist

They certainly have the track record to know what works.