• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Barrel Tuner question

42MTD

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2012
Hi,

Question in regards to barrel tuner/brake combo.

I have a 223 that gets incredible accuracy (3/8" groups consistently) with 75 ELD match with 24.4 -24.6 grains of varget with and average speed of 2960 fps and single digit SD.

At 25 grains of varget my groups open up to approx 1" but I am getting 3000 avg speed with no pressure signs.

I want to shoot some local matches with it out to 1000 yards and want the extra speed.

Will a barrel tuner help tune the 25 grain load into a 1/2" group for me?

Thanks in advance.

Take a look at your 5 and 10 mph wind call difference with a 40 FPS difference. Now look at it with 100 FPS difference.

Don't try to push what your caliber is capable of. You are literally gaining zero performance advantage, and will likely have a DNF at some point due to a pierced primer.

Tuner will always help with a load by either dialling you to the middle of the node and thus widening the window of the node you’re close to or finding and getting you into a node.

Theres a reason top PRS guys now shoots
6BR variants at 2850 and not 6CM at 3100
A lot are 2800 and below.

I agree with everything said. Shoot the load that works, and then use a tuner to make it shoot better, or to keep it shooting well after the barrel starts to tank.

Reactions: rydah