• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel twist??

darrindlh

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
I know that 1-10 twist is common on a 300 wm. Today I was on bergers website and they recomend a 1-11 twist for there 210's. Is there a benefit of haveing a 1-11 twist over 1-10? I know that the 1-11 will stabilize all of the bullets up to the 210's. What is the advantage of the 1-11 twist?

Darrin

Re: Barrel twist??

The table on the Berger target/match bullets page can be a little misleading because the table heading for bullet twist says "Recommended" when they actually mean "Minimum".

If you go to their 30cal bullets page and read the more detailed explanation, you will see that you must use the minimum recommended twist in order to achieve proper stabilization, but their bullets will stabilize in faster twist barrels as well.

I personally run 1:10 twist barrels in all my 300WM rifles and I get excellent results from the Berger 210gr VLDs.

Ok awesome Thank you. I have a 1-10 twist as well and so that is good to know. What velocities are you able to acheive with the berger 210?

Darrin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok awesome Thank you. I have a 1-10 twist as well and so that is good to know. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">What velocities are you able to acheive with the berger 210?</span></span>

Darrin </div></div>

I shoot the 208 AMAX in my 1:10" twist barrel. Able to get 3000 fps. can still go higher if needed, but accuracy is so good why bother.

I shoot Berger 210's from my 10-twist 29" bbl at 2950fps. I found the best accuracy around 2840fps, which is fine for 1000 yards and under, but I usually push them to 2950-3000 for ELR with no ill effects.

Those numbers are sure promising. Do i need to have an extra long tube as well. With those numbers the 300 wm turns into a 1000 yrd cannon.

Darrin

Got mine at 26" Bartlein 1:10" twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With those numbers the 300 wm turns into a 1000 yrd cannon.</div></div>Actually, set up right, and with a bit of altitude/temperature, it can be a one-mile rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With those numbers the 300 wm turns into a 1000 yrd cannon.</div></div>Actually, set up right, and with a bit of altitude/temperature, it can be a one-mile rifle. </div></div>

That's what I intend to do with mine. With the right altitude and D/A, I can push my 208 grains out to about 1800 yards. Going to try the one mile shot soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With those numbers the 300 wm turns into a 1000 yrd cannon.</div></div>Actually, set up right, and with a bit of altitude/temperature, it can be a one-mile rifle. </div></div>That's what I intend to do with mine. With the right altitude and D/A, I can push my 208 grains out to about 1800 yards. Going to try the one mile shot soon. </div></div>Are you coming out with us for Cory T's XLR class at Gunsite in October?

And Darrin, I think Karen said there's still room.

Where is the class held at? I hope I can find the right combination with the 208 amax or the 210 bergers to be able to achieve one mile. Of course I will practice and then practice some more. Every time I read all of your posts it humbles me to think just how far away I am before I try the all "one mile shot". keep the post coming I love this stuff

Darrin

Still thinking about it. Want to go but there is a conflict in schedule, a huge one to say the least (wife's B-day). Unless you have a good link for a good and fast service of a Cloning company.LOL