• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Upgrade

Smurph_

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2021
Texas
I am looking to upgrade my R700 barrel to something heavier. I’ve been looking at Bartlein and Shilen. What is everyone’s preferred barrel manufacturer?

Just ordered a McGowen heavy barrel (M8 Contour) for my shot-out 300-WM MPA with R700 action. Hoping it's a good one. Consensus here is that it's a solid performer at a reasonable price. We shall see.

Can't go wrong with Bartlein. Link below is for barrels in stock.

Reactions: LV Precision
I put an MTU taper Criterion Remage on my 700 and am very happy with it.

I've had barrels from Krieger, Hardy and Xcaliber that all shot bugholes. In my experience it's more about the quality of and who does the smith work than the actual barrel manufacturer

If you can get a proof stainless barrel blank you will not be disappointed. They have been some of the most accurate barrels I’ve used.

Nothing wrong with a Shilen. The barrel I bought does half MOA. 24" 300WSM prefit Savage small shank. Was a select match, so it takes a bit to get a barrel that air gauges correctly. Think 10 weeks or so (this was way before Covid panic buying). Zero complaints and would buy again.