• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel vice question

Kaveman44

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
So I have a 1.25 - 1.1 tapered barrel, will the 1.25 straight pushing work from short action customs? Because I don’t see a tapered bushing for that size. Thanks Jimmy

I would recommend the "Viper Vise". When you receive it, cut it in half with a ban saw. The two individual pieces will fit like a glove on a tapered barrel like you described.
123_1.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, if you mean that the barrel is 1.25” at the breech and 1.1” at the muzzle, then the taper is so gradual as to not matter at all in the vise.
Quit like, being so practical n shit! :ROFLMAO: Totally glossed over the contour dimensions.
"You see, boys & girls, this is why Lash is here!"

• Haha
Reactions: lash
I use a oak blocks that I drill to the diameter I want with a hole saw and then split them in half with a band saw. I wrap a thin piece of leather around the barrel, put them in the blocks and clamp it in my old 8 inch Wilton vise. I haven't had a barrel slip yet with this setup. I do like the Viper Vise set up. I may make something like that which I can bolt to my metal work and move from vertical to horizontal work.

Reactions: Garvey
I use a oak blocks that I drill to the diameter I want with a hole saw and then split them in half with a band saw. I wrap a thin piece of leather around the barrel, put them in the blocks and clamp it in my old 8 inch Wilton vise. I haven't had a barrel slip yet with this setup. I do like the Viper Vise set up. I may make something like that which I can bolt to my metal work and move from vertical to horizontal work.
Indeed. Even some suede patches from Hobby Lobby will work.

Reactions: nikonNUT and lash

even better, i drilled 3 different sized holes in my oak block before I split it.

So far the worst was a 1960s Remington 700. I had to put a pipe wrench on the barrel because of whatever schmoooo was in the threads.

Nothing else has required anything except for rosin.

I just upgraded from the wooden blocks to an actual barrel vise.

View attachment 8324256
This is what I have. I broke loose several Tikka and TRG barrels with it. The best thing I did was throw that piece of leather in the trash. A simple wrap with notebook/copy paper keeps the barrel from slipping in the vice and protects the barrel’s finish. The leather will allow a tightly torqued barrel to slip, a lot.

This is what I have. I broke loose several Tikka and TRG barrels with it. The best thing I did was throw that piece of leather in the trash. A simple wrap with notebook/copy paper keeps the barrel from slipping in the vice and protects the barrel’s finish. The leather will allow a tightly torqued barrel to slip, a lot.
Good to know. Thanks.

A split toilet paper roll grips the barrel nicely without marring it.

Toilet paper rolls for the win then. I’m not proud and will do whatever works well.

I wrap emory cloth around the barrel abrasive side out (obviously!) and it holds gutentight!

Yeah I had trouble with the leather tearing and the barrel slipping.

Quit like, being so practical n shit! :ROFLMAO: Totally glossed over the contour dimensions.
"You see, boys & girls, this is why Lash is here!"
Dont let him fool ya. He is here to stir shit mostly.
Answering a question here and there, that may or may not be a bullshit answer but always leading back to stirring up shit😅😅😅

Dont let him fool ya. He is here to stir shit mostly.
Answering a question here and there, that may or may not be a bullshit answer but always leading back to stirring up shit😅😅😅
Hey! Don’t be giving away state secrets!

Sometimes shit just needs to be stirred to keep it fresh.