• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel vice questions

Altoonabcm157

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
New jersey
Does anyone know of a quality set of “jaws” or “clam shell” for lack of a better term that can be added to a bench vice to avoid having to have a separate dedicated barrel vice attached to a work bench. I have searched and googled and found a few things that might be acceptable but hoping for input that has actually gone this route to have enough grip to remove a shouldered barrel and still not damage the barrel or mar it.

I don't keep my viper attached to my bench. I use a couple of old C clamps when I need to use it. I've also seen some people toss their barrel vise in their bench vise when needed.

Reactions: Andielouroo
I use a Brownells barrel vise with inserts. I just clamp it into my bench vise. Instead of mounting it to the bench.

I figured that might be possible to just clamp a normal barrel vice into a bench vice but wasn’t sure the success with the twisting force and the barrel vice turning. Main goal is to avoid taking up bench space with something that I use a couple times a year

I'm not sure what your asking for would work well. I use the LRI and while a little pricy it works really well.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I have a Viper as well and use it with two pieces of leather to grip the barrel. I use C-clamps to hold it to my bench or I will put in my vices lower jaws to hold it.

I don't keep my viper attached to my bench. I use a couple of old C clamps when I need to use it. I've also seen some people toss their barrel vise in their bench vise when needed.

I do this with my Viper. Have gone up to 120lb-ft with no issues.
PXL_20231205_210142916.jpg

Reactions: FredHammer
Get a proper barrel vise and clamp it to your bench or in your vise. I had a set of jaws for my vise and it just doesn’t clamp the same and barrels would often spin when using leather to protect the finish. In regular barrel vise with nuts or bolts you torque they don’t spin.

You can clamp it to your bench, a table, your bumper or any other surface you can get a clamp under. You can also clamp or bolt it to a small piece of 2x4 to use in your bench vise, or you can grab it with the vise like pictured in the post above.

I’d the PMA barrel vise over the Viper. I’ve had a viper for over 10 years that I’ve finally worn out and replaced it with the PMA. The PMA does a wider range of barrel sizes grabbing smaller and larger barrels and also goes to 1.5” which will fit a lot of suppressors for torquing in adaptors.

Reactions: lash and PappyM3
I tried the quickclamps but that didn't work for me.

When it's attaching a barrel, I've put my viper in my bench vise because I'm not putting a ton of torque like the OEMs.
But I've never tried with removing a barrel, that's whey I use plain old steel C clamps.