• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Switch Barrel question

Timetoshoot

Bullet driver
Minuteman
May 7, 2013
Carbondale
I have a Tikka set up as a switch barrel rifle. Two proof carbon barrels and one proof steel barrel. I have been completely disassembling Rifle when swapping barrels. i mount the steel portion of the barrel near the action in the barrel Vise. I torque to 80 pounds using a quality torque wrench.

It struck me that I could shorten and drastically speed up the process if I don’t remove scope and stock and simply clamp the barrel midway in the barrel vise. I anticipate swapping barrels 10 or 15 times during the course of their life. Will this harm a proof carbon barrel? I know it’s common practice with steel barrels on many other switch rifle combinations.

Yes I have reached out to proof customer service for their input. And I anticipate it will be conservative based on litigious considerations. Looking for experienced input from anyone who’s been down this road