• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Vice Recommendations

No experience, but I'm eyeing this for when I build my next rifle.

Reactions: Shadowmaker176
I have one of those Wheelers with the oak blocks. I do use pine resin to hold the barrel in between the blocks with no issues.

I’ve used it to separate a Rem700 stock barrel from action and I use it often for my TL3 to switch between 260 Rem and 6 Creed.

I have a mechforce vise. Pretty good vicefor doing nut style prefit barrels. If you are breaking a lot of factory barrels loose y might look into a brownells or LRI vice.

Bore a hole (across the grain) slightly undersized of your barrel diameter through two blocks of hardwood and stick it in your hydraulic press between two plates.

I’ve not had one slip yet.

I've used the Wheeler vise with the wooden blocks as well on a RAR and R783, worked good on both rifles.

I'm very satisfied with the Davidson that I bought from Sinclair about 2 years ago. Cost was around $58. Also bought a Davidson rear entry wrench for the Rem. 700. Both quality products.
This is what I have used for years. Works great but will leave slight marks on blued or parked barrels.

Reactions: Ledzep
I use the pma tool vise and very happy with it. I did buy some leather to get alittle more grip and protect barrels. But great price and works great

I started with the SAC Bravo then move to their MBV for speed. The bravo get the jobs done but also uses their barrel bushings so it can get costly if you have several profiles to change. The SAC MBV is the mac daddy and makes the process super easy. The viper or one of the others mentioned above will do job if you’re only swapping 1-3 barrels a year. Any more than that then I would up grade just for ease of using them.

I have 5 barrels for my Origin and swap barrels once or twice a month so it easily to justify the upgrade. The SAC action wrench is awesome as well if you work with different actions.

Reactions: Shadowmaker176
Wheeler with the blocks and resin has worked a dozen or so times. Ran into a Rem 700 that really didn't want to budge, lead sheet in the blocks did the trick. If you're a pro (time = money) get something better, but for occasional use it's fine.

Another vote for PMA , I can take off Remington 700 factory barrels with no problem . That says it all for me .

Make your own. Drill holes for bolts in 2" x 2" x L" steel.
Clamp a shim between them.
Bore a 1.5" diameter hole centered on the shim.
Mount to a 200 pound bench.
Buy 1.5" diameter Aluminum alloy. Cut 2" lengths and make collets to fit barrel diameters or tapers.
With a cheater bar on the action wrench, this system can make 600 foot pounds without the barrel slipping.

Attachments

• Barrel vise, custom collet, .800 in block filler in 1885 receiver, packing tape to protect fin...jpg
    Barrel vise, custom collet, .800 in block filler in 1885 receiver, packing tape to protect fin...jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 155
  • Collet 1.5 in outside .75 in inside for taking off co-ax press handle   put the collet in the ...jpg
    Collet 1.5 in outside .75 in inside for taking off co-ax press handle put the collet in the ...jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 172
Reactions: CrabsandFootball
Ross Precision Vice

Hadn't seen this one before.
At first glance, my thought was "this is for switchbarrel guys in the field".
But it can be bench mounted like a traditional vise, is "universal" in that it won't require custom bushings- and for $99 looks to be a more "solid" product than other universal types. Looks beefy enough to be able to really crank down on it, but still wonder if it's up to the task of 500 ft lbs or more for stubborn factory barrels? The $99 is for blems only (who gives a shit about looks anyway), but didn't say if they were manufacturing more, or stopping production.

ETA: SCRATCH THAT... their website says max is 80 ft lbs of torque. Fine for switchbarrels, but it won't remove many factory barrels if that's the intended use.

Last edited:
If you want a barrel vise to work, whether daily or occasional, take a look at the Brownell's barrel vise. It has the power to hold a factory barrel and allow the receiver to be removed. Some of the other barrel vises do not have the grip and won't be able to hold the barrel and won't allow you to get the occasional factory barrel off the receiver. Think about spending money to get the job done all the time or spending money that MAY get the job done or not.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
I just split two of those plastic vice blocks, considering replacing 'em with aluminum and using leather inserts.

But if I was barrel bolt gun actions I'd break down and get a real barrel vice I suppose. Or use some shop DIY technique.

LRI is the best, but expensive.
Brownells is really good as well.

3rd option is to make your own. You can use Brownells Collets to make it easier. I have a machinist buddy working on a few right now with me and another gunsmith. If we get the design down (Similar to LRI) we may offer them for sale on here.

There is no reason there shouldnt be a good, cheap heavy duty barrel vise on the market. There is really not much to it.

A local shop got the Davidson from Brownells and I've used it a few times and been happily surprised with it.

No experience, but I'm eyeing this for when I build my next rifle.
I have one they are a awesome vise

Viper for a budget. SAC is a legit vise and what I upgraded to, but its pricy ...

Another vote for mech force. The leather pieces that come with it are a nice touch and very effective. I've tried a viper and I could not get it tight enough to torque a barrel to 80 ft-lbs. The mechforce had no problem whatsoever. I doubt it could handle a Tikka barrel, and it would probably sweat a bit for a stubborn Remington, but for standard installs or removing pretty much anything but a Tikka barrel, I'm confident it'd be up to the task.

So many options.... :unsure: I guess I'll have to do some more research for factory and custom actions of a couple different flavors.

SAC vice is it full stop...
I am between the SAC and the LRI. It would be mainly for Tikka’s. Cost is not that much of a difference. Anyone know which collet fits better, especially for taking the factory barrel off? I am not going to do enough to wear out either one.