• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barreled Action Recommendations

AE287

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2019
Do you guys have any recommendations for barreled actions? I’m building my first precision rifle. Had been considering buying a model 700 ADL varmint and adding a Manners stock with chassis, but know that probably won’t do much better than 1/2 or 3/4 MOA without trueing up the action and maybe a better barrel. It may be better to spend a little more on the front end. Not trying to break the bank, but I would like quality. Thoughts? Thanks

Reactions: Ehtacs
It all comes down to what additions and features you want and don't want.
All of the custom actions are an improvement over a bone stock Rem 700 even though they can be very good out of the box but can have some issues and can be exceptional when reworked.
I personally really like the Kelbly Atlas TAC actions but there are so many others to choose from its really a personal choice when it comes down to it.
Pick the options you want and run the hell out of it, in my opinion there really isn't a wrong answer.

You need to let us know what your budget is, and what sort of features you like in an action.

What’s your budget and what features do you need vs want?
I originally set a total budget for everything at about $2,500, but could possibly do a little more. My original plan was to spend about $900 for a used scope, $1100 for a Manners stock, and $500 for a base model 700 varmint. I already have a trigger for a model 700, but could sell that if I need to get a different action. I’m just debating if I will be happy with the accuracy from a base model 700 or if I will regret not spending some more. I think the max I would spend on a barreled action would be about $1,000.

I originally set a total budget for everything at about $2,500, but could possibly do a little more. My original plan was to spend about $900 for a used scope, $1100 for a Manners stock, and $500 for a base model 700 varmint. I already have a trigger for a model 700, but could sell that if I need to get a different action. I’m just debating if I will be happy with the accuracy from a base model 700 or if I will regret not spending some more. I think the max I would spend on a barreled action would be about $1,000.
As far as features on the action I don’t really need that much. I would be fine with just a basic model 700 action

As far as features on the action I don’t really need that much. I would be fine with just a basic model 700 action
I figure a good option will be for me to keep an eye out for someone selling a used barrel and action on this site. I really just wanted to find out some options you guys recommend that were above just a base model 700, but not more than about $1,000. Thanks for the help

Howa 1500 is another good value option. Use to be able to get them from Brownells real cheap!

Both McMillan and Manners inlet for Howa 1500.

Here is my 1500 in a McMillan A5:
IMG_5270~2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: AE287
Highly recommend Impact Precision. They can sell you a barreled action and then you can change barrels (calibers) yourself using prefit barrels from them or many smiths. Second choice would be a BigHorn action and run prefit barrels with Savage threads. A bunch of sources of savage threaded barrels and they generally are less expensive than Impact prefits. Straight Jacket and Northland can set you up with a BA as can many other smiths like Keystone Accuracy, and OTM Tactical. Hope this helps. Nick-

Here are some links:

Last edited:
Zermatt/Bighorn Origin, American Rifle Co. Nucleus, Impact...

Unless you already own a M700 you want to rebuild, I'd start with the above.

I have been researching for a while and ordered a Impact barreled action with a benchmark barrel good combo for all the above mentioned reasons. $2100 cant go wrong.

Thanks for all the comments. I think I am going to go with a Bighorn barreled action from someone like Keystone. The Timney trigger I already have will fit since it’s designed for a model 700. I might as well do it right and get a good barrel and action if I am going to spend 1k on a Manners stock.

Reactions: MikeRTacOps
I was considering the Bighorn TL3 , great action. I have a TT diamond just sitting in the safe waiting for my barreled action to come... good luck on your build.

If say if u cant swing a origin with barrel. What about a tikka ctr? Or a mack bros evo as for 600 plus a barrel for another 500 or so?

Jeff Hayes at Rivers Bend Gun Co is running a special on barreled actions. Blueprinted remington 700, tuned trigger, bartlein barrel of your choice and caliber, with threaded muzzle and Badger Ordnance bolt knob for $1250 with 10% off any gunsmithing associated with the barreled action. 8163864021

Reactions: AE287
Jeff Hayes at Rivers Bend Gun Co is running a special on barreled actions. Blueprinted remington 700, tuned trigger, bartlein barrel of your choice and caliber, with threaded muzzle and Badger Ordnance bolt knob for $1250 with 10% off any gunsmithing associated with the barreled action. 8163864021
He still running this deal??

Reactions: TacT-MecH
Do you guys have any recommendations for barreled actions? I’m building my first precision rifle. Had been considering buying a model 700 ADL varmint and adding a Manners stock with chassis, but know that probably won’t do much better than 1/2 or 3/4 MOA without trueing up the action and maybe a better barrel. It may be better to spend a little more on the front end. Not trying to break the bank, but I would like quality. Thoughts? Thanks

Rem_700_ADL_TAC.jpg

I Just picked up a Rem 700 ADL Tactual in 308 for 399.98$ at Dicks Sporting Goods, and for that price, you can not go wrong. They are blowing out what firearms and hunting inventory they have left.

My plans for it are to put it in a KRG chassis, install a trigger Tech trigger, Area 419 break . I will use it to replace my broken hunting Savage I can not seem to get the sear for right now. But for you, it would give you a good platform that you could build on and upgrade for now. Then as time go's on, you can recycle the recover and barrel with higher grade parts, like a EVO or Origin action and a Proof or Prefeed barrel.