• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barreled action vs custom build

Mdfowlman2

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2020
What’s everyone opinions on a barreled action vs a full custom long range gun for hunting.
this will be used out west for mule deer and elk.
i have been doing a ton of research and have come across a few barreled actions, the turnaround time is far better vs a custom Build and cost seems to far less. I don’t mind spending the extra if The extra cost and lead time is worth it in the long run
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 5E442089-2276-49E1-AE6A-1BBF6B5D095A.png
    5E442089-2276-49E1-AE6A-1BBF6B5D095A.png
    666.5 KB · Views: 345
That price doesn't seem like it's saving anything. Right on the ballpark of they are using a good barrel. Actually seems a smidge high.

Action-$900
Barrel-$350
Chamber job-$400ish
=$1650

Not sure of the details of what all else might be included at that price of the screenshot.

In stock and ready to ship could save time though. Depends on the smith but there's plenty that'll cut a chamber and spin on a barrel pretty quick.

Could also buy the action and buy a shouldered prefit and screw it on yourself. Many higher end actions that's an option. Including the Tenacity you pictured.

With 0 effort I found Straight Jacket Armory has Tenacity shouldered prefits for $650. Not sure on quality or wait time etc...like I said that was a quick Google search.

So you could be at like $1550 with that barrel...

Lots of ways to skin a coon.

Whatever you do the Tenacity is an awesome action. I would buy the action nitrided and use prefit barrels.

Reactions: jcmullis2
That price doesn't seem like it's saving anything. Right on the ballpark of they are using a good barrel. Actually seems a smidge high.

Action-$900
Barrel-$350
Chamber job-$400ish
=$1650

Not sure of the details of what all else might be included at that price of the screenshot.

In stock and ready to ship could save time though. Depends on the smith but there's plenty that'll cut a chamber and spin on a barrel pretty quick.

Could also buy the action and buy a shouldered prefit and screw it on yourself. Many higher end actions that's an option. Including the Tenacity you pictured.

With 0 effort I found Straight Jacket Armory has Tenacity shouldered prefits for $650. Not sure on quality or wait time etc...like I said that was a quick Google search.

So you could be at like $1550 with that barrel...

Lots of ways to skin a coon.
Hmmm your learning me some things 🤣.
Is there much of a downside to buying shouldered prefit vs sending it out and having everything done by a smith?
I’m quite new to all Of this and Don’t want to wish I had spent the money differently

I have a Howa 1500 barreled action in 6.5 and it was $500 from Brownells. Add in a Boyd’s stock for $200 and a Vortex PST 2 for $900 and you are almost all done save some rings and bedding. It’s almost as accurate as my Tenacity barreled action which alone cost 3 times as much. I like my Tenacity but all you really need is one flawless cold shot and both are more accurate than I am. So get what you really want but don’t think that spending another thousand will fix poor technique.

Reactions: Falkner
I can't really help with a shouldered prefit vs a smith chambering the barrel and screwing it on. If the barrel is of good quality and the chamber is cut right on the prefit, it'll all be the same.

Example....I can call Kelblys tomorrow and order a chambered barrel to fit my Atlas. It'd be no different than me sending them the barrel to chamber.

Just gotta look at the prefits. Not all are created equal.

Moaorbust brings up a good point. For a hunting rig, you may or may not be going further than needed.

What's "long range" in your hunting world? You pictured a 6.5 creedmoor and mentioned mule deer and elk. I won't inject my thoughts there. What kind of accuracy are you looking for?

Like I said, lots of ways to skin a coon. You have to prioritize everything. And have a budget.

I'm the same way...hate to spend money and realize it should have been spent differently.

I can't really help with a shouldered prefit vs a smith chambering the barrel and screwing it on. If the barrel is of good quality and the chamber is cut right on the prefit, it'll all be the same.

Example....I can call Kelblys tomorrow and order a chambered barrel to fit my Atlas. It'd be no different than me sending them the barrel to chamber.

Just gotta look at the prefits. Not all are created equal.

Moaorbust brings up a good point. For a hunting rig, you may or may not be going further than needed.

What's "long range" in your hunting world? You pictured a 6.5 creedmoor and mentioned mule deer and elk. I won't inject my thoughts there. What kind of accuracy are you looking for?

Like I said, lots of ways to skin a coon. You have to prioritize everything. And have a budget.

I'm the same way...hate to spend money and realize it should have been spent differently.
Haven’t competently decided on 6.5, I may go the 300wm route. I will be shooting out to 800, as far as while hunting it depends on the situation and where my confident distance is at that’s time. I’d say 600+, maybe not that far but I surely won’t spend good money to not even have that option if the practice proves that’s possible

Last edited:
IMO, going the custom route vs reputed barreled action is custom allows you and the riflesmith to determine the correct chambering/throat angles for what you want to achieve.

Taking nothing away from StraightJacket, PVA et al; they turn out great stuff.

But for a nit--picky shooter like myself; I send an email and pick up the phone.

Example, I own the first 300PRC built by RBros, and I tell ya, Travis was/is sick of all my questions about reamers/throating/crowning etc.

When I got everything back; it eats what I feed it and spits it out into little tiny group holes at distances I wouldn't believe possible.

I need to get another freezer soon...

Determine what you want and go forward from there, at this point in the game the least important factor is $$ IMO.

Reactions: Mdfowlman2
I went with a Pva prefit on one of my tenacity actions and it shoots tiny groups. My cost was about $1600 and it took a couple of weeks to get it. I had everything so I didn’t have to buy a barrel vise, action wrench, and gauges. If the OP doesn’t have the tools and gauges that price isn’t bad.

IMO, going the custom route vs reputed barreled action is custom allows you and the riflesmith to determine the correct chambering/throat angles for what you want to achieve.

Taking nothing away from StraightJacket, PVA et al; they turn out great stuff.

But for a nit--picky shooter like myself; I send an email and pick up the phone.

Example, I own the first 300PRC built by RBros, and I tell ya, Travis was/is sick of all my questions about reamers/throating/crowning etc.

When I got everything back; it eats what I feed it and spits it out into little tiny group holes at distances I wouldn't believe possible.

I need to get another freezer soon...

Determine what you want and go forward from there, at this point in the game the least important factor is $$ IMO.
What did you do to the throat angle? It's not that often that people deviate from the regular 1.5 degree. I was curious if this was adjusted to something different and why.

Last edited:
I just got a tenacity for $850 and a PVA prefit threaded barrel for $550. Thats $1400 for what the same setup as what they're asking $1820 for. Granted my way you may have to buy a action wrench and barrel vice and go/,no go gauges ($100,$60,$100) if you dont already have them but you'd be able to swap barrels whenever.

Last edited:
Reactions: spife7980
I have a friend that tinkers with the newer high BC mono bullets for hunting and going with a smith for a full custom is worth it if you're looking to take that route. The "off the shelf" barreled actions will generally be faster to obtain but you'll be limited to whatever they use for a reamer. Fine for factory ammo, or no frills reloading but the high BC monos usually need to be seated out further.

I have a friend that tinkers with the newer high BC mono bullets for hunting and going with a smith for a full custom is worth it if you're looking to take that route. The "off the shelf" barreled actions will generally be faster to obtain but you'll be limited to whatever they use for a reamer. Fine for factory ammo, or no frills reloading but the high BC monos usually need to be seated out further.
I have no intentions of reloading, I’ll likely look for a good “match grade” factory load and stick with that

I may be completely wrong...but I just don't know if even "match grade" factory ammo will be consistent enough for long range. And then you're limited by what actually does shoot well. And most match grade ammo is not loaded with bullets designed for elk...

I'd recommend a lot of research in that department before I dropped money on a rifle.

Like I said, I could be way off base. I haven't bought a rifle round in a while now...

I may be completely wrong...but I just don't know if even "match grade" factory ammo will be consistent enough for long range. And then you're limited by what actually does shoot well. And most match grade ammo is not loaded with bullets designed for elk...

I'd recommend a lot of research in that department before I dropped money on a rifle.

Like I said, I could be way off base. I haven't bought a rifle round in a while now...
I may have to go that route, I don’t want to but if it’s necessary to get the accuracy I’m looking for than I’ll hand load.

Plenty of quality target/hunting ammo options available now. If you go the 300wm route look into the Berger or federal offerings loaded with the 215gn Berger hybrid. They shoot great in my rifle and the 215s have an excellent track record for putting big game down from my research. Still waiting to test them myself

You are wrong. Factory ammo is just fine for 1,000+ yards. I’m a nobody and I’ve been just fine shooting to 1,400 yards with factory ammo. Prime, Hornady ELDM & ELDX, Copper Creek, Federal Gold, etc have all shot 0.5 - 0.75 MOA in all my custom guns.

You are wrong. Factory ammo is just fine for 1,000+ yards. I’m a nobody and I’ve been just fine shooting to 1,400 yards with factory ammo. Prime, Hornady ELDM & ELDX, Copper Creek, Federal Gold, etc have all shot 0.5 - 0.75 MOA in all my custom guns.

Learn something new everyday.

I haven't researched it or anything as I have no need to.

Amazing they can keep it consistent enough.

It’s not that amazing really. I mean, they make ammo for a living. Modern manufacturing is a real thing 🤓
I totally agree. We were chronographing some 6.5-300 Weatherby factory ammunition. Three factory loads largest sd was 9. Very impressed.

Reactions: Secant
Plenty of quality target/hunting ammo options available now. If you go the 300wm route look into the Berger or federal offerings loaded with the 215gn Berger hybrid. They shoot great in my rifle and the 215s have an excellent track record for putting big game down from my research. Still waiting to test them myself
I've used the 215s and they are the worst bullet I've ever used for hunting.
Just about lost a bull when one penciled through, had another blow up on impact.
They're target bullets period

Reactions: 2010Ruger
Take a barreled action, throw it in a stock and bed or get a chassis and you have a custom build. Right? I mean, whats the difference?

What did you do to the throat angle? It's not that often that people deviate from the regular 1.5 degree. I was curious if this was adjusted to something different and why.

I left it to RBros to decide on reamer specs; my parameters were to have chambering and throating around the ELDM as the factory loads were readily available. Since then, I have loaded Bergers and A-Tips and they shoot just as well as factory loads when I do my part.

I had a Tikka in .243 and mostly hunt coyotes but the rifling and what I was shooting did’t jive. So I had George at GA Precision take my action and a Bartlein barrel, do their magic (6mm Creedmoor now) and now I’ve got a super accurate rifle shooting groups of 2 inches at 450- 500 yards for under $1500 total. Couldn’t be more happier and with my reloading getting better I’m hoping to shrink those groups.

Attachments

• 29B2F615-B6D7-4404-9C79-D08916B58392.jpeg
    29B2F615-B6D7-4404-9C79-D08916B58392.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 69
Reactions: secm
What’s everyone opinions on a barreled action vs a full custom long range gun for hunting.
i have been doing a ton of research and have come across a few barreled actions, the turnaround time is far better vs a custom Build and cost seems to far less. I don’t mind spending the extra if The extra cost and lead time is worth it in the long run
Thanks in advance
Take a look at the Bad Rock rifle. All you need fo $1995.00

Factory ammo is better now than in years past but, I out shoot them all with a good handload!

Thanks in advance
If your looking for a pretty much custom rifle I would with the 6.5 PRC from seekins precision. The PH2 and Element are extremely accurate. Lots people getting sub half moa.
Thanks in advance
Seekins Precision
PH2 or Element
A lot of people getting sub half moa with 6.5 PRC
Best warranty on any rifle. Just like Vortex's warranty. NO SHIT!!!
Do your self a favor and research them...