• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrels and Gunsmiths

ssc45

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2019
My cousin called with a few questions. I didn't have answers to some of his questions. He wants to build an upper ( 223/5.56). The purpose is banging steel out to approximately 750 yards. Money is not an issue. He has a Vltor MUR upper receiver and a 13 inch rail. He has a BCG and CH. He is researching barrels and gunsmiths. I gave him suggestions on barrels from cheap up to CLE. He then had questions about what chamber and SS vs CL etc. He also wants to have the upper assembled by a Smith/shop that is known for producing accurate and reliable uppers. I gave him a few names of people who have a good rep for assembling uppers, but have no clue which shops are the go to for building accurate and reliable uppers. He wants to have the upper "accurized" and reliable.

Hence, I am looking for suggestions on a good shop known for building accurate and reliable uppers as well as suggestions for barrels and which chamber. He generally shoots factory ammo.

Thank you for your thoughts.

My keystone accuracy Bartlein barrel will out shoot my compass lake krieger barrel any day of the week. It’s not that hard to assemble an upper. Just make sure to true the reciever face.

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, I was unaware of the complete uppers at WOA and the reasonable cost. In checking them out, I just had to order one. I am keeping my cousin informed, so any more thoughts are appreciated. I just hope it doesn't cost me more money. ;)

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: MK20
They're one of the best values in precision small frame stuff, no doubt. SDM barrels I’ve had hands on absolutely shot well.
Do they make their own handguards and hardware? Any idea who makes the bolts, etc?

Check out the supermatch barrel options from JP! Incredible accuracy. I gotten my JP barrels super hot shooting 3 gun and they’re still tack drivers out to 6 and 7 hundred yards…..even after 15,000-16,000 rounds.

Also…code 68SS0717 will save him 10% on JP parts.