• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Barrels for R700 action?

MadeInUSA1776

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
Elk Grove Village, il, USA
I'm pretty new to the world of long range shooting, so I'll have a few questions. I've been looking a the GA Precision Templar "hunting" rifle. To me it seems almost perfect. Now my question is what brand is known for making exceptional barrels? My preferences are .308 cal., heavy barrel (no tapper from chamber to muzzle). Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Barrels for R700 action?

I would be fairly comfortable letting George and Crew @ GA Precision make that decision. But in case you would like to know, Bartlein, Krieger, Broughton, Shilen, Rock, LW, Schneider, Brux.

+1 what deadly said.There are some others but any of the ones listed so far would be good choices. I personally prefer Bartlein, or Rock after either owning them or have shot rifles with them. All clean easy.

I notice you are looking at the "hunting" rifle, you sure you want a straight no taper tube? What length are you looking at? That tube is gonna be heavy and affect the balance, not to mention a beast of a rifle to carry.

Will attest to that. my Rock Creek Barrel cleans up easy as pie.

Paulus

I'm not going to use to hunt- atleast nothing but the elusive LaRue autoresetting target. I quoted hunting because thats what it said on GA's website. I plan on useing the rifle as a tack driver, nothing more nothing less. By the way, whats 5R mean on a barrel?

Obermeyer developed 5R rifling as a way to reduce deformation of 7mm bullet jacket and improve the gas seal between the bullet the and barrel. A bunch of manufacturers are cutting barrels with this configuration; Remington uses a 1:11.2" 5R rifling on the M24 (last time I checked).

thats exactly what i bought too. Rock Creek remington varmint profile 5R barrel. chose the 26" length, and it is sweet. love it. have a 1:11 1/4 twist.

Paulus

5R (or 6R) means that there is a radius on the corner edges of the rifling. To me it just seems like they re-invented the worn out barrel YMMV.
They also make polygonal rifling that has no land or groove...it looks more like a allen wrench (if that helps you visualize it). I could be mistaken but I think H&K started the poly deal.

I've always stuck to Lilja barrels for my paper punchers and I'm certain you can find they are very popular with the benchrest community.
I'm a fan of Schneider and Kreiger barrels, but they go on my hunting or offensive weapons, not my paper killers.