• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrels with Chrome Lined bores question ....

Marksman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2008
Michigan
Is there any special break in procedures for chrome lined bores? Or once the chrome is in place, it's pretty much locked in for good? Also, can one expect to see less copper fouling with one? Thanks in advance.

Re: Barrels with Chrome Lined bores question ....

Nope same as any other barrel. Insert round, squeeze trigger, repeat until ammunition is gone, clean when accuracy falls off.

I've never worried too much about breaking in chrome lined barrels.

By the time you would get sufficient wear (break in) on a chrome lined bore, you will have seriously eroded/worn the barrel's throat.

When first used on rifles, and machine guns, the chrome was initially put there to reduce damage from corrosive primers, and lack of proper cleaning. It was then found that chrome was found to reduce rust, erosion, corrosion, and general wear on the barrel because it is harder than barrel steel.

Lots of people who know better than me say that there is no special break-in for chrome lined barrels.

Clean it when you get it, to get any lube out of the barrel.

Then, on an AR, 2 each very fast 30 round mags, get it smokin' hot.

Then clean it good and your done.

Break in for a chromelined barrel is unnecessary. Do it if you like. It won't do harm, just wasting time and ammo. I'd do an initial cleaning of the bore to get factory lube out and any other debry that may have gotten in when shipped. Then start shooting for score.

The less I clean my FN crome line barrel the better it shoots !!!!!

Every 4-500 rounds if I'm outa bullets and there's nothing else to do.

Okay, how well does a chrome lined barrel shoot once the chrome starts peeling/delaminating from the bore?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verrocchio100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, how well does a chrome lined barrel shoot once the chrome starts peeling/delaminating from the bore? </div></div>

Terrible. Happened to me on an H&K91. Only the chrome at the end of the barrel started to flake off, and that was enough.

DK

I've got about 3K rounds down my FN A3G 308 and its still shooting as good as ever - but I clean it after each range session! No break in though. Maybe the cleaning isn't necessary but I'm more comfortable doing it that way and don't mind.

I wonder if FN will install a new barrel for me assuming I actually use up the barrel at some point, or will I need to have a non chrome lined barrel put on by a smith? Anyone wear out one of their barrels yet?

I too have an FN SPR A3G. I believe the spec on the barrel is to 10,000 rounds. But...the throat? Who knows?

I believe they would replace your barrel with another chromed lined one.

But....you should be telling me this. You are much farther down that road than I. I am still learning.

Regards,
Greyson

Horse shit. If you haven't bore-scoped it you won't know.

Chrome-lined barrels wear at the throat and along the tops of the lands like any other barrel.

I don't need a scope to see the wear in my AR's chrome lined bore, end of the throat and tops of the lands for 4 or more inches, looks awful, still shoots under an inch at 200 with the right load. Somewhere between 4&5,000 rounds.

No break in procedure.... just shoot and enjoy