• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett 416 versus 338 LM

jevoe

Private
Minuteman
Does anyone have experience between these two rounds? There's a ELR finally opening up in Michigan and its time I got something a little bit better than the 308. Before I take the plunge I would love to read some range reports between the two rounds and their respective rifles.

Re: Barrett 416 versus 338 LM

Do you have a shitload of money to burn? Whats your experience level with bolt guns? You could get a Barrett M82 in .416 now if you wanted to go that route. The .338 Lapua is a hell of a round but I'd never suggest either of those to someone that is just stepping up to a precision rifle. If your after better ballistics than the .308 you could look at the .260 or 6mms, and if you want more knock down power a .300win mag would certainly do it. What ranges do you currently shoot at, and where would you like to be able to shoot at?

I do not have experience in shooting the .416, but do have experience with the .338 LM.

The .338 LM is a great ELR round. When comparing the two calibers, one of the best things about the .338 is that it can be had in a normal sized rifle action. The .416 Barrett is going to be typically found in a 25+ pound rifle.

20+ years with 30 cal and up bolt action precision rifles and semis alike. Looking for something that stays supersonic long enough to reach out well beyond 1500 yds. I shoot at a private range and local DNR spots when I don't care to drive up north.

I have 300 win mags, 444 mags, no 260 but no interest in it either. Do you have any experience with either round like I requested?

I'm running a custom 338 Norma Mag, pushing the 300 OTM's 2800, was pushing them @ 2900 but slowed em down due to warmer weather conditions, I am just getting ready to take her out past a mile, I will try and get a good HD video review up!!!
Regarding the .416, I have a M99 in my gym/shop as we speak, its my godfathers, but he leaves it here for me to shoot as long as I pay for ammo, basically my rifle as he said it will be mine later in life... the .416 is a wicked round, pushing 395 grain solids @ over 3K we are needing about 17 MOA to get us to 1200yds, when the 338 needs right @ 28 MOA... Like I said, I am planning on taking these two rifles out past a mile, I'm sure the .416 will surpass the Norma on the ballistic side, but if you are a reloader your gonna save Alot going with the 338 especially if you plan on layin down lots of lead... I'll be sure and post the video once its compiled.

Couple points:

The new range here in MI is not going to be long enough to truly warrant either cartridge.

Those two cartridges are not really comparable. The 338 is more legitimately compared to a 375CT or 408CT.

As expensive as a 338 is, the CTs take ut to a "whole nother level".

Forget the uber-cartridges...if you want to step up from 308, get a moderate 6.5 or 7mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not have experience in shooting the .416, but do have experience with the .338 LM.

The .338 LM is a great ELR round. When comparing the two calibers, one of the best things about the .338 is that it can be had in a normal sized rifle action. The .416 Barrett is going to be typically found in a 25+ pound rifle. </div></div>

Thank you - good point on the weight. If I'm ever using this to hunt I'll be doing some long distance hoofing it through hilly country and I hadn't considered that yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couple points:

The new range here in MI is not going to be long enough to truly warrant either cartridge.

Those two cartridges are not really comparable. The 338 is more legitimately compared to a 375CT or 408CT.

As expensive as a 338 is, the CTs take ut to a "whole nother level".

Forget the uber-cartridges...if you want to step up from 308, get a moderate 6.5 or 7mm. </div></div>

Isn't Lake City's going to be 2000+ yards?

Not so far as I am aware. KD to 1000, UKD to 1000+. Reading between the lines a little, but I don't consider 1k+ to be 2000!!

Another consideration is what MTC is going to allow you to shoot their steel with. 338LM is "about" the typical max most ranges let you use.

...I can say I wouldn't want you to hit my steel with a 408 or 416!

The .416B is based on a .50BMG case and therefore requires a hefty rifle. A .338LM can be had in a rifle only slightly larger than the .308WIN you're familiar with. Best of all, it's good to a mile all day.

Best bang for the buck is probably a 338Lapua improved...Just a bit more of a pain in the arse to make the cases. My friends report good accuracy with 300 grain bullets at around 3050fps.

For a fun gun I don't think the 50BMG can be beat....Way easy to spot the hits too!
I shoot my AR500 targets at 600 yards all the time and never do more damage than remove paint. A lot of paint!
smile.gif

Well I have a .338LM and it is an amazing feeling pulling the trigger. Do NOT let anyone tell you that you should not get what you desire. I see it all the time on here telling people that they are not good enough for what they want instead of answering your question. It absolutely makes me sick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I have a .338LM and it is an amazing feeling pulling the trigger. Do NOT let anyone tell you that you should not get what you desire. I see it all the time on here telling people that they are not good enough for what they want instead of answering your question. It absolutely makes me sick. </div></div>

Glad to see at least one other hide member gets it, fortunately I'm used to filtering out internets versus competent advisors. Thanks for the input. What do you like most about your Savage? What improvements or nitpicks can you find in it? Have you run into any headaches with ammo or have any advice?

I first heard the new range rumored about 2 weeks ago then I saw your 338 new on the shelf while I was picking up a few toys at a Cabela's last week. That's what sparked this whole thing for me.

I love it. By no means is it custom rifle, but it has all the bells and whistles!! I love the 1in9 twist, very progressive thinking. I love assault rifles and love the pistol grip. I can't say whether it's worse or better than thumb or regular stock. I have only used hand loaded ammo so not sure about picky ammo from factory. I would have liked the bottom of the buttstock to be flat for the monopod, but that is getting nitpicky lol. I have not taken it as far as others have because the lack of close ranges
frown.gif
. I have always been in love with the round and lit up like a Christmas tree when I found the rifle for the first time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not so far as I am aware. KD to 1000, UKD to 1000+. Reading between the lines a little, but I don't consider 1k+ to be 2000!!

Another consideration is what MTC is going to allow you to shoot their steel with. 338LM is "about" the typical max most ranges let you use.

...I can say I wouldn't want you to hit my steel with a 408 or 416! </div></div>

You're right, they said big bores were only allowed on paper targets during KD range days and 1000 was about it. They did say they would have big bore steel coming in the future though.

Thanks for shedding some light on this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I have a .338LM and it is an amazing feeling pulling the trigger. Do NOT let anyone tell you that you should not get what you desire. I see it all the time on here telling people that they are not good enough for what they want instead of answering your question. It absolutely makes me sick. </div></div>

I've noticed this too A14. It's like you need to post a resume with every question just so you'll get taken seriously and get answers to your questions and not get a lot of people questioning your abilities. I know the intent is typically good but it comes across very condescending.

L

I stepped up last year to the 338LM in a Barrett 98B and have not regretted it once. Thats actually a lie, the 400 rds of Lapua brass stung a bit. But other than a few stings and upgrades needed to the reloading bench it's all good. I haven't shot 416, 408ct, or 375ct, but compared to a Barrett 82 50cal it is a jewell. And maybe just the set up on a friends 82 or the rounds, the 338lm is way more accurate with a lot less blast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best bang for the buck is probably a 338Lapua improved...Just a bit more of a pain in the arse to make the cases. My friends report good accuracy with 300 grain bullets at around 3050fps.

For a fun gun I don't think the 50BMG can be beat....Way easy to spot the hits too!
I shoot my AR500 targets at 600 yards all the time and never do more damage than remove paint. A lot of paint!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Was thinking about 338LM Improved the other day...

Lapua and another company (can't remember who) put a TON of work and design/testing effort to give us the 338LM we all know and love.

"Common wisdom" tells us a sharp, pushed-forward shoulder is "the best", aka "improved"...

Well, improved isn't anthing new, yet Lapua (et al) didn't design it that way.

Why?

There's GOTTA be a good reason.

Feeding and extraction. The improved gives up some of these attributes by taking away body taper. I will probably rebarreled my Lapua to improved once I shoot out my current barrel though. 3,000fps with 300 Berger sounds nice....

I have a .338 Win Mag using 300 gr Lapua's and it's nice it's the Savage 116 Bear Hunter with their muzzle brake and it does work well. But my next rifle will be a Savage 110 BA in .338 LM and then probably a Barrett 50. Broke my cherry in.338 LM on a PGW with a S&B 5x2550 I believe and it was great so that gave me the bug and will fill out my safe with the 2 rifles I mentioned and maybe more if I know myself. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Was thinking about 338LM Improved the other day...

Lapua and another company (can't remember who) put a TON of work and design/testing effort to give us the 338LM we all know and love.

"Common wisdom" tells us a sharp, pushed-forward shoulder is "the best", aka "improved"...

Well, improved isn't anthing new, yet Lapua (et al) didn't design it that way.

Why?

There's GOTTA be a good reason. </div></div>
You would think such a cartridge was built from magic dust of long past snipers.
The truth is the 338 Lapua is a bit of a bastard stepchild
smile.gif

Lapua did not design the case...They tweaked the reamer print and re named it it is all.
Brass Extrusion Laboratories (Jim Bell) and some other defunct rifle building company did the design work.
The cartridge started as a full size 338/416 Rigby (338 Lapua improved no less!). Jim Bell did some hunting in Africa with that rendition. His concept was large volume low pressure cases...Which always work in high temperatures.

My recollection is shortly afterward the 416 Rigby case was shrunk down to go after a military contract that required 250 grains at 3000 fps as its target. There was some thinking that the shortened and tapered case could fit into a Remington 700..Money in the military world of that era.
I believe the defunct gun company built a rifle along the way and at testing the cartridge failed to meet the 3000fps goal and was scrubbed.

Lapua picked up the ashes and I bought my first Sako so chambered a few years later...around 1985..It was disappointment on just about every front...With its 23 inch barrel it was slower, heavier, and didn't shoot as well as my Rem700 340Wby!
At the time the 338 Lapua brass was undesirable and was near free...Go figure!

Nothing special happened until Accuracy International got their weapon system going.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SVG308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Feeding and extraction. The improved gives up some of these attributes by taking away body taper. I will probably rebarreled my Lapua to improved once I shoot out my current barrel though. 3,000fps with 300 Berger sounds nice.... </div></div>
Not true so long as you don't get carried away with shoulder angle and body taper.