• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett 98 Bravo

LittleFrancis

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2011
I just bought this rifle 27". Has anyone reloaded this round? Also im curious to what optics people are using. Im leaning towards NF 8-32x56....??

WHATS THE BEST WAY TO ADD PICS? GGRRR!!

thanks everyone.

rcpt78.jpg

11hv5ma.jpg

Re: Barrett 98 Bravo

Thanks so much for the Pic link!!

ya i heard the 8-32 nly has 45 elevatin if i remember right. and the 5.5 -22 has 100???

I plan on maxing ut the range of this round and i dont want to not have enough power in the scope to make is really visible. Im new to optics and know a little bit about rifles. I hope you all can give me more pros and cons.
I hear S&B are great for hunting but how are they for extreme LR?

Crappy little sight max 3-9-42 got for 100 buck from a friend going to put it on my remington 5R when i get a scope for the 98

I believe the 8-32 x 56 nxs has 60 moa of elevation, I could be wrong though. Is that rail on that canted?

well, some things to consider about buynig a new optic.

which reticle are you comfortable with
do you want to use mil or moa

Which ever you choose, mil or moa, I highly suggest you get an optic that the turrets match the same as the reticle. Example: mil reticle/ mil turrets or moa reticle / moa turrets.

Have you ever used an optic that is 8x42 power? The field of view is very narrow and the exit pupil is small.

I would suggest something like the Hensoldt 6x24 72mm for your new weapon. Great glass,can handle the recoil, excellent waranty, top notch optic.
Link for your drooling pleasure : Hensoldt 6x24 72mm

Thanks for info monnie. Ive never heard of those scopes before lol. 72mm?? jeez.

im a MIL guy and was hoping to use the barrett mounts i got. but well see.

The hensoldt looks sweet. I was hoping it would work with bores, anyone know if it does?

im not confident on answering that one. whats the difference? I think the one I wanted was the FFP. it was based on all the people i asked reccomended it though. JEEZ 3,777.00 for the hensoldt ha ha ha its same as rifle almost!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LittleFrancis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im not confident on answering that one. whats the difference? I think the one I wanted was the FFP. it was based on all the people i asked reccomended it though. JEEZ 3,777.00 for the hensoldt ha ha ha its same as rifle almost!!!</div></div>

Francis, the Hensoldt is a no bullshit optic. The glass is some of the best made. It is a Mil-Spec optic

I highly, highly suggest you educate yourself about the different focal planes of reticles.

FFP = First Focal Plane (First Focal Plane,as you increase or decrease your power on hour scope, your retical changes size)

SFP = Second Focal Plane (Second focal plane, as you increase or decrease your power on your scope, your retical stays the same size)

Each has benefits and disadvantages.

Maybe read some here: SFP and FFP Differences

Only you will know what is best for you, not what someone tells you.

Personally, I like SFP

I would like my reticle to stay one size. i know that allready. Ive never looked thru a scope 20 power or higher. I dont know how big a siloet is at 1000 yds with a 20 power scope. its obviously plenty because everyone recommends it..
I live in the middle of knowhere and people dont have shit here. As far as bolistics for the Hensoldt, what is there? or is it on you and your spotter 100%. which im okay with

SFP= Stays the same.

I do not suggest you focus or concentrate on having ballistics turrets, and some fancy optic mounted ballistics computer.

Do all the ranging, pratice, and create your on dope for YOUR rifle and YOUR ammo. All these fancy little gadgets will never be perfect, and if you decide to change your loads, well hell, you just made that fancy bdc turret obsolete. Things like Slope,distance,temperature,humidity,altitude,wind,etc etc all change the path of the bullet. These are the skills you must practice and master, not count on some limited piece of hardware.

And think about this, if you rely on that fancy gadget to make shots, what will you do if or when it malfunctions and you still need to take the shot? Without practice practice and practice...training, you will miss that shot.

Get a laser range finder and record all your shots on a notepad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LittleFrancis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont know how big a siloet is at 1000 yds with a 20 power scope.</div></div>

At 24 power, the hensoldt gives 1000m, field of view 17 meters. Think about it, 1 meter is 39.39 inchs, about the distance of a man from the waist to top of head

I totally agree with you. I just have a guy here with bors for a nf 8-32-56 and he nly wants 700 for it in box new never used it. but its nt important. ive used a nf once and it seemed great. I think bay area in CA is the closest dealer for the hensoldt, which is 6 hours away. im way north ca in humbolt county. Im curious about the hensoldt and dont mind spending the money if warranty is basically lifetime lol.

Any lasers that come to mind with 1500 to 2000 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LittleFrancis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any lasers that come to mind with 1500 to 2000 yards? </div></div>

For range finders, yes

Target systems, nothing you can buy as a civilian as far as I know. FDA restricts such powerful lasers to military and law enforcement