• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Barrett bors system

Cjshooter88

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2011
Fargo nd usa
I have a Barrett m99 50bmg with a Leupold mk4 6.5-20 and thinkin of puttin the bors on it. Have any of you used this system and if so opinions on it.

Re: Barrett bors system

Don't waste the money on it. Get yourself a Kestrel and load a ballistic app on a PDA, your smart phone, or an iPad and you'll save a bunch of money. The BORS is pretty cool but it's already outdated.

I have to agree, I put one on my Barrett 98 / Nightforce. Had just as good if not better results from my $10 android app (shooter). Took it off and sold it.

I saw that app on my phone didnt think twice about it though guess I had,my douts about a phone app being accurate does it acctualy work well

I was thinkin the bors would be nice when needing to make a quick shot or transitioning from target to target without having to reenter data for each
distance

I use Bulletflight but the easy way is to do it is the range card feature. There's no need to enter seperate data for a quick shot. If I were thinking of spending that kinda money I'd get a Nomad and put Field Firing Solutions on it. Just my opinion though.

I've the BORS, easy to use, but I still waiting the new software upgrade, till 1200/1300 meters with a .338 LM the ballistic table is very close to a table done with FFS.

you can use only G1.

The best thing is that people with no info on ballistic table, MIL, MOA, corrections ecc ecc......can use a sniper rifle easily..... just turn the turret till you have the distance on the screen......aim and shoot

If you rely on electronics without knowing how to do the calculations on your own, you're setting yourself up for failure. Get yourself a data book and the FDAC cards so you can begin learning what works for you. Learning how to read mirage and make wind calls is crucial for accurate shot placement, with or without the aid of electronics. Refer to the link below for more info.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2341887

Screenshot2011-02-04at125206PM.png

I totally agree..... I'm talking about a border line situation where people without any skill can use a sniper rifle to engage target....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I totally agree..... I'm talking about a border line situation where people without any skill can use a sniper rifle to engage target....

</div></div>

Even still, that BORS isn't going to tell you the wind speed or at what distance your target is. It simply gives you data output based on data input.

I used to want a BORS for my own NXS until I realized that it's nothing more than a ballistic calculator that mounts on top of your optic, and a bery expensive ballistic calculator when you can get a good ballistic app such as Ballistic FTE or Bulletflight that will provide many more options than the BORS and save you over $1000.

Forget the BORS unless you're going for the 'cool' factor because a good ballistic app is where it's at in terms of cost, updates, and data variables.

yes sure.....I use, FDAC, FFS with a PDA, my ballistic tables same thing like a FDAC, JBM balistic tables and the BORS.... more or less every single tools give a .1/.2 MIL of tolerance..

is not the tool that can be high cost or low cost...but how you give him the input and how you are able to measure the data to use...

I've seen people not able to understand the difference between station pressure and barometric pressure, or using a G7 on FFS ecc. ecc. or to use a non calibrated rifle scope... their sentence was "this ballistic software doesn't work.."

also with a friend of mine we are testing the RIANOV... one more tool, but nothing of special, is more accurate if you want to have distance using the mil dot of your scope, without use any formula..... but is always an electronic device....
so if you don't know the basic in case of device fail ..you are on ground.

for example if you use the RIANOV with G7 you can have same table of FDAC or FFS.

Another system I was lookin at is the kestrel with horus atrag for less than half the price of bors

are there low cost or free phone aps that get you close? I use data cards i made up for myself and they work well, just thinking it would be cool to have something like jbm on my phone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AVENGEUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> are there low cost or free phone aps that get you close? I use data cards i made up for myself and they work well, just thinking it would be cool to have something like jbm on my phone</div></div>

Bulletflight is for the iPhone by KAC, there's also more apps that do Ballistics out there for the iPhone or android. I think I saw that Shooter came over to the iPhone too. From the looks of it FFS might even work on a phone running windows mobile if it had a SD slot.

Bulletflight at least the full version, has a range estimator that you can input either a MIL or MOA reading and it does the math for you. For $30 I've been very happy with it. After I got out my old Unit paid for it for all the SDM's and anyone else that wanted it because the CO thought it would help everyone to better understand what's involved in the longer shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cjshooter88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw that app on my phone didnt think twice about it though guess I had,my douts about a phone app being accurate does it acctualy work well
</div></div>

The app works ok, you still have to correct wind direction and speed. Where I shoot is in a canyon and the phone pulls weather info from 20 miles away off the top of a mountain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gixxerk8</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cjshooter88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw that app on my phone didnt think twice about it though guess I had,my douts about a phone app being accurate does it acctualy work well
</div></div>

The app works ok, you still have to correct wind direction and speed. Where I shoot is in a canyon and the phone pulls weather info from 20 miles away off the top of a mountain.</div></div>

Get a kestrel and put the info in yourself. If your not doing that then just piss in the wind it'd work better than using info that's not revalant to your location. A ballistics calculator is only as good as the information it receives. If your pulling all your data from that far away it could be significantly different than what's actually at your location. They are alot more accurate if they are used properly

Would the BORS be useful in hunting situations when theres really no time to pull out your phone/pda to type in and figure out the ballistics?

I dont know how many times ive had to measure yardage just by sight and aim high. Seems like the BORS system would be a quicker way to dial in the yardage and use kentucky windage.

Keep in mine i will never shoot at a deer or similar past 400 yards. Coyotes is fair game to my rifles limits though

It'd be quicker to know your drop and have visual aids for the yardage. If your hunting at long enough ranges its not about a fast shot but waiting for the right one. At least that has been my experience. With the BORS you still need to input the range.

Yes i understand. However, In the plains of SD where i hunt i can spot a deer 300 yards and two hills 5 draws away. I usually only have time to locate a good spot to go prone and take the shot.

Its been my experience if i try and sneak up on that dear 80% of the time by the time i reach where i think he/she will be they are gone.

Yes it is better to set up, yard the deer, and take time calculating the wind/drop. But, sometimes time is not on your side.

Coyotes never stand still long enough to get that figured out. Id rather guess the range within reason move the knob to the correct yard and pull trigger.

when i had my 7mmRUM i memorized the ballistic chart for drop and all wind values out to 500 yards.. Was a pain in the ass to learn all of that but it worked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semmens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would the BORS be useful in hunting situations when theres really no time to pull out your phone/pda to type in and figure out the ballistics?

I dont know how many times ive had to measure yardage just by sight and aim high. Seems like the BORS system would be a quicker way to dial in the yardage and use kentucky windage.

Keep in mine i will never shoot at a deer or similar past 400 yards. Coyotes is fair game to my rifles limits though</div></div>
400y???... u dont need a bors... get a laser scope...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semmens</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes i understand. However, In the plains of SD where i hunt i can spot a deer 300 yards and two hills 5 draws away. I usually only have time to locate a good spot to go prone and take the shot.

Its been my experience if i try and sneak up on that dear 80% of the time by the time i reach where i think he/she will be they are gone.

Yes it is better to set up, yard the deer, and take time calculating the wind/drop. But, sometimes time is not on your side.

Coyotes never stand still long enough to get that figured out. Id rather guess the range within reason move the knob to the correct yard and pull trigger.

when i had my 7mmRUM i memorized the ballistic chart for drop and all wind values out to 500 yards.. Was a pain in the ass to learn all of that but it worked.</div></div>

attach a range card to gun/scope..

guns290large.jpg

I know of buttstock and lens cap charts. Nothing's more annoying than trying to count out 80 clicks (exaggerating).

But, looks like there's no getting away from this one. Thanks for the help. Just not worth it for the money.

And yes, 400 for hunting. I can easily shoot further just can't stand wounding animals. "be a better shot". Shit happens that you don't expect. With all the hills and draws where I hunt I cannot afford to lose a deer.

Mentioned before I'd shoot coyotes plenty further than that.

No wonder your looking for something faster you are trying to count clicks. No one does that anymore by the way. I'd suggest getting a MIL/MIL FFP scope and learning how to use it. You don't have to dial anything for quite a ways if you don't want to. Also get a light tripod and a gun saddle then you don't have to waste time going prone and missing out on alot of the advantages of being off the ground in the plains. Those rolling hills can make the prone a bitch.

no need for mil mil or moa moa, or count clicks...

all you need scope with turrets..

print your chart, it may say 500y = 5.2MOA or MIL... just turn the diel to 5.2.. done....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Essential</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its stupid but I want what I call the German "BORS" http://www.mil-optics.de/Seite-20 This comps for angle/cant/environment etc.... </div></div>

That actually does live calculations unlike BORS. Looks like same but is differend animal, a true milspec device.
Screen does not freeze in arctic use, very solid construction, calculates live wind/sd/angles/athmosperic conditions etc and constantly updates correct firing solution on screen. Uses radar-based Cd values instead of ballistic coefficients. Has also other very interesting features but they are not available for civils.

(Almost) all mentioned can be done traditional way allright, but it takes time to solve perfect solution manually. If one even has all possible charts, correction tables etc for ranges 1m-5000m in hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It'd be quicker to know your drop and have visual aids for the yardage. If your hunting at long enough ranges its not about a fast shot but waiting for the right one. At least that has been my experience with the BORS you still need to input the range. </div></div>

with the BORS you have to rotate the turret until you see on the display the range of your target, range taken with mil dot or laser range finder.
The BORS is easy to use, bt you can do the same thing with other devices.....from a simple ballistic table to a NOMAD with FFS......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: davide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HillbillyfromAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It'd be quicker to know your drop and have visual aids for the yardage. If your hunting at long enough ranges its not about a fast shot but waiting for the right one. At least that has been my experience with the BORS you still need to input the range. </div></div>

with the BORS you have to rotate the turret until you see on the display the range of your target, range taken with mil dot or laser range finder.
The BORS is easy to use, bt you can do the same thing with other devices.....from a simple ballistic table to a NOMAD with FFS......</div></div>

There was supposed to be a period after experience damn iPhone keyboard, but thats what I was trying to say. Having known distance markers would make either system faster and more efficient than trying to Hit the target with the laser then make your corrections. At least of there is a limited window of opportunity. Say you know a hill is 600yds away and your see the start of antlers come over it, dial to 600 and watch the wind whe you wait to see if it's a buck you want. Same reason we make range cards, just a different target.

Guys,

Im using Strelok, on my Ipad, and Galaxy SIII, its an awesome app, input all data, including load data, and it actually has all popular reticles programmed in as well. Give it a try.

Bryan Litz has an Android app that will calculate everything for your settings. I believe he is also working on an iPhone app.BORS system way too outdated and not compatible with many new excellent scopes.

BORS system way too outdated and not compatible with many new excellent scopes.
Much more sophisticated alternatives exist.

PM me if interested to hear more, as this topic is about BORS.
BC01_1.jpg

If you rely on electronics without knowing how to do the calculations on your own, you're setting yourself up for failure. Get yourself a data book and the FDAC cards so you can begin learning what works for you. Learning how to read mirage and make wind calls is crucial for accurate shot placement, with or without the aid of electronics.

Way back when I was doing my instructor rotations at Benning (we were still issuing the '24' back then) I stressed learning to do everything on paper, then in your head. If you learn it all you'll never have problems. This was when mil dots and moa turrets were no big deal, once you have it down pat, it doesn't matter.