• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrett Fieldcraft

bmicek

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
Anyone know the latest on these rifles? I’d love to find one but they’re hard to find right now. From my limited research it doesn’t look like production is currently happening?

Anyone know the latest on these rifles? I’d love to find one but they’re hard to find right now. From my limited research it doesn’t look like production is currently happening?
Barrett shut down production to free up manufacturing capacity when they won the MK22 contract.

There are rumors that barrett sold the fieldcraft line...
I also read that on further research. But I also read people anticipate the cost to go up drastically, making it not as good of a value. Hard to say, it’s all guesses

Every one I have owned or shot was very accurate with factory ammo, I didn't need to develop a load.

Regrettably sold the 243 and 308, but kept the 6.5cm. It's in the box and still unfired. It's waiting for just the right scope.

Even if the Fieldcraft eventually re-ermerges under a new manufacturer, I can't imagine what could be done to make it better.

18” in 6.5CM, pretty much the perfect mountain rifle for factory ammo. I wonder if Melvin Forbes at Nula bought it back. In any case, he designed a great rifle.

18” in 6.5CM, pretty much the perfect mountain rifle for factory ammo. I wonder if Melvin Forbes at Nula bought it back. In any case, he designed a great rifle.
I doubt it. Last I heard NULA got sold to another entity who he supposedly trusts to keep up the quality but we'll see.

NULA was sold to wilson combat. No clue on the Fieldcraft. Mostly the Fieldcraft sale is just a rumor.

Correct. Just looked it up. Melvin is still doing some work, but Wilson Combat is also taking NULA work. There is a thread on 24hour campfire as well.

Fieldcraft line is still with Barrett as far as I can tell. Don't think we'll see anything any time soon.

Correct. Just looked it up. Melvin is still doing some work, but Wilson Combat is also taking NULA work. There is a thread on 24hour campfire as well.

Fieldcraft line is still with Barrett as far as I can tell. Don't think we'll see anything any time soon.
Especially at the price they were selling them at, even if they were to come out with them again.

Kind of tough to gauge a price increase. ALL guns are a lot more money now, than they were when they put production "on hold". So they'll probably be a LOT more money.

I had a 30-06 but sold it a year later. Never fired it. They pop up on gunbroker and rokslide from time to time. Mostly 6.5 c lately. When I was looking for one a while back a dealer told me they spoke with their Barrett rep about the Fieldcraft. The rep said they might bring it back but it would be more money with less chamberings. This was a few years ago, so don't hold your breath.

I sure wish I hadn't hesitated and picked a few up. A 7mm08 would have been at the top of my list.

I'm sure it'll come back when they find themselves with excess production capacity. They sold very well.

Until they fulfill contracts they must likely won't have any excess capacity. So it will be a few more years.

Curious about the barrel differences in the 6.5 with the #2 douglas countour.I have looked but cant find specs between the barrels.
24" no.2 Douglas Contour, rather than the conventional 21" no.1 Douglas Contour.
I have the 24 inch and debating on cutting it to 20 or trading for the shorter version.
Not sure if i want to tread it,i have never used a suppressor and not sure i will but the option may be nice.

Curious about the barrel differences in the 6.5 with the #2 douglas countour.I have looked but cant find specs between the barrels.
24" no.2 Douglas Contour, rather than the conventional 21" no.1 Douglas Contour.
I have the 24 inch and debating on cutting it to 20 or trading for the shorter version.
Not sure if i want to tread it,i have never used a suppressor and not sure i will but the option may be nice.
This perhaps?

If you want to thread I’d rather have the 24 I guess. Might find a factory threaded 6.5 for cheaper by the time you pay to have a good gunsmith thread it. I put a Hyperion k on my 6.5 Fieldcraft and not sure I’ll go back to hunting without a can unless I have to.

Barrett didn’t use Douglas barrels, Nula used Douglas. Not sure who Barrett was using for barrels but there’s plenty of speculation online.

I’d probably keep it 24” until you buy a suppressor, will take a year to clear the background check anyway.

Just wondering basically if the thicker 24 inch version would have any advantages or disadvantages if both were in the 20-21 in range.
I have the 24 inch but im debating cutting it down or trading it for the shorter.
Better to ask ?