• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett M107/M82A1

viper770

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
kansas
just like to hear every ones love and hates for the rifles i my self own a barrett m107

Re: Barrett M107/M82A1

I would "love" to be behind it!!!

And I would "hate" to be in front of it!!!

Bragg much?
grin.gif

From my USMC days....

Love: Expanded effective range and destructive power, rapid firing rate, decent long range accuracy when material is your target, very high CDI factor at a dog and pony show.

Hate: Thing chewed up brass, jammed often, heavy and huge, trigger is horrible, very finicky, loud and concussive reducing any chance of maintaining concealment, constantly in maintenance.

Really it wasn't practical outside the defensive spectrum of warfare. You could take it if you NEEDED it, but you would be slower, louder, and bigger in doing so. IDF and CAS could cover anything it was needed for in open ground, but it has it's place in urban settings.

I would like to get one here shortly. I have been looking at them for awhile now. Not really down for spending that kind of money on a bolt gun that is chambered in the same caliber when I could have it in a semi auto. Also been looking at the SA50 however they are not for sale for general public from what my searches have turned up. I was reading the other post would like to know of other than IA or Barrett who else makes a semi 50.

If you work inside 1500-1700yds I would rather have my GAP 7WSM 4-1 from an accuracy standard. I personally haven't found an accurate(MOA) one yet.
+1 on the Jam Factor as well but the Coolness is out the roof.

I own an M82CQ which is the 20" chrome lined version vs the 29". I am wondering the people that talk about jamming have actually owned one vs hearing about it. I have put hundreds of rounds through mine and it has never jammed. Not once. Granted it is not going to make five shot bug holes but that is not what it is meant to do. The M82 is not famous for accuracy, but it is built like a tank and in my case and a three other friends that own one, goes bang every single time.

The one thing i have found is that the 20" version is definitely more accurate than 29" barrel. I have had long discussion with Lin Schryver from Schryver Gun sales and he is the man when it comes to 50BMG and he also agrees that all of the 20"s he has shot are more accurate than the long version. I have made 2" groups at 200 yards many times. And being 1 MOA for such a rifle is damn good. If you are a fsca.org member which is the 50 BMG forum, you will guys make 15" groups at 1000 yards with the M82 which again 1.5MOA is not bad for the hell fire it rains.

I carried one for a long time and was lucky because out of the 4 I had, I did get one that shot. Jamming was not an issue for me but I had mine so wet that I would have to wipe off my glasses. They do chew up brass but I wasn't reloading so not a problem of mine. That gun has taken out a lot of bad guys in its day and I would buy mine back if I was allowed.

Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am wondering the people that talk about jamming have actually owned one vs hearing about it. I have put hundreds of rounds through mine and it has never jammed. Not once.</div></div> This is on issued weapons, so obviously they see a much higher service level than your personal gun does. We would put hundreds of rounds downrange in a day. We would have to pull the gun about every 50-100 rounds and clean it just to keep it functioning. It was mainly the brass shavings that would get into the bolt carrier and chamber area that would mess up the cycle of operations while shooting API or ball ammo. Heavy lubrication was always mandatory. This was across all four guns we had in our platoon, and speaking with other Chief Scouts this was the rule, not the exception.

The brass from the Raufoss was higher grade and we wouldn't have as many problems with it. I don't know if shooters on the civilian side have higher quality brass than mil issue. I can't afford to get one of my own so I'm glad I had my fun early in life.

Accuracy, yes I'll agree with you that it isn't bad, but I wouldn't be taking it to a comp anytime soon. We could hold pretty decent on man-sized silhouettes out to 1300yds, but beyond that was pushing it. The M99s I use now are more accurate than our M82, but that's a one of so not the greatest comparison.

first off Lin Schryver is the man thats where i bought my m107 from he has been such a big help he made my life wonderfull while i was deployed he even stored it for me while i was deployed i just really love the rifle and i want as much info pulled togather as possiable i have actully used the m107 in combat the up keep is kinda high for sure breack in was kinda tricky but after we put 500 rds or so throught it using api they worked great and far as ai's as50 that rifle is defently the best simiauto 50mbg ever i have had good luck with ai i used to have ai 338 lapua those guys know how to build a rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">first off Lin Schryver is the man thats where i bought my m107 from he has been such a big help he made my life wonderfull while i was deployed he even stored it for me while i was deployed i just really love the rifle and i want as much info pulled togather as possiable i have actully used the m107 in combat the up keep is kinda high for sure breack in was kinda tricky but after we put 500 rds or so throught it using api they worked great and far as ai's as50 that rifle is defently the best simiauto 50mbg ever i have had good luck with ai i used to have ai 338 lapua those guys know how to build a rifle </div></div>

Your fourth grade teacher woud be embarassed with your grammer/punctuation, or lack thereof.