• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett m107a1 vs m82a3

buckskin52

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
western PA
Looking at buying a barrett semi. I know these are not precision rifles by any means, but I want one. Has anyone heard of any legitiment problems with the new 107a1's vs the m82a3. Newer isn't always better but sometimes it is. I used the m82a3 back when I was in and wanted to know if the m107a1's were that much better than the originals, besides the weight reduction. Thanks

In this case, newer is better as Barrett has used the knowledge gained from many years of use and has integrated it into this updated semi auto. The components are lighter yet stronger and the barrel is lined. These rifles had bad accuracy more because the ammo was from Vietnam and not match grade.

I'm pretty sure there is a rumor out there that beats Furlong and Harrison's furthest confirmed kill and a two Barret's were used. Let me see if I can find it.

If your not dead set on a Barret check out the BFG-50A from Serbu. I have one and it is awesome! weighs 23lbs and the recoil is nothing, something to consider if you want weight reduction and save a few $K

The M107 has an aluminum upper receiver and comes in at 4 pounds lighter than the M82. The muzzle brake is set up to take the Barrett silencer. I do not like the new monopod but that is just personal preference. I recommend you call Schryver Gun Sales. His trigger upgrade helps smooth out the 9 pound trigger pull. I would say that yes the M107 has learned from its predecessor.

Hi,

I have had 3 M82s over the years and now have an M107a1. I think the new 107a1, over all, is very similar to the latest version of the M82. There are some updates like lighter materials, a cheek rest, and chromed lined barrel vs just the chamber. I can say for sure that my accuracy testing with my previous M82s and my new M107a1 has yielded the same results. With good hand loads you can expect 2 moa. If you are a gun snob (not and insult as I am a gun snob) and want the best Barrett available or plan to shoot suppressed get the 107a1. If you are getting it for the firepower and decades of battle proven reliability the latest version of the M82 is the way to go. Plus the few grand you save you have just paid for a quality optic or 1000 rounds of armor piercing ammo.

I appreciate the input fellas. Now I have to decide which barrett to get. Read to many bad things about the serbu to justify that much money to hope I don't have an issue. I was contemplating the Rnd 50, but just have to wonder what kind of support I would have if loyd retires, also don't know an approximate price either.

Lloyd's .50BMG rifle will run about as much as the M107, be a bit heavier but quite a bit more accurate based on everything I've heard. Honestly, I never really liked the M82s, even 20 years ago when so few of us were issued them, but I can't deny that they are fun to shoot and in civie life that becomes a far more important factor than all of the things I considered in the Army. You don't have to think about how heavy or bulky it is, for the most part, or worry about having to jump it and haul ass off a DZ with it or worry about being stuck with a crappy Leup Mk4. As long you know realize the limitations of that platform accuracy-wise (something so many people overrate), then I say get what you want. Personally, as mentioned above, I'd get the latest M82 model and top it with a good optic than go the 107 route.

Thanks for the input dogtown. I know the limitations of the Barrett's. Been looking pretty hard now for a while and the 107a1's are down below $9500 if you know where to look, and the m82's are still around $7800. So I think I will probably go with the 107a1 for the extra $. I love Lloyd's stuff just hard to spend that extra money with such a small shop that I don't know where it will be in 15 years. If he has an upstanding clone that will be there for replacement parts and customer service in 15 years I would seriously consider it, my dealings with him in the past have been great. I already have 2 wind runners with Lloyd's fore end and bipod set up, and an HTI for precision stuff, looking now for the fun and investment of the semi auto 50. We shot raufoss ammo and it was about 2-3 Moa with the a3. That would be acceptable for the new gun, but I would hope for better with some tuned reloads.

What GE said was what i got from Schryver. The guns are the same except for what they are made from and have slight differences. Only get the 107 if you are going to suppress it. Otherwise m82 and use that money saved for scope or ammo. I had a m99 and sold it, then later bough an edm while deployed that I'm still waiting on and ordered and received a fde cera koted m82 in the meantime.

What GE said was what i got from Schryver. The guns are the same except for what they are made from and have slight differences. Only get the 107 if you are going to suppress it. Otherwise m82 and use that money saved for scope or ammo. I had a m99 and sold it, then later bough an edm while deployed that I'm still waiting on and ordered and received a fde cera koted m82 in the meantime.

Lin has an early serial number M107 that has a steel upper on his website. That is why it is below retail, as it were. Lin got me an FDE M82 in a month after quoting me a 3 month lead time. When you talk to him he knows Barrett's product line inside and out. He recommended that I cerakote the barrel because it increases the accuracy, giving the barrel less opportunity to move around while returning to battery. Call him and discuss your needs, there is no doubt in my mind he will lead you in the right direction.

The cerakote may slightly increase accuracy for a very limited number of rounds, but the 2 inches of finish on the barrel where it recoils into the receiver is the first to wear away. I would bet it will be warn back down to factory diameter within 100 rounds. Just my opinion but this seems like a less than stellar idea.

He recommended that I cerakote the barrel because it increases the accuracy, giving the barrel less opportunity to move around while returning to battery. Call him and discuss your needs, there is no doubt in my mind he will lead you in the right direction.

The cerakote may slightly increase accuracy for a very limited number of rounds

Say what? Is there any science to this at all?

I cannot speak to it because my M82 does not have the barrel cerakoted. It does not seem that GE has first hand experience with this either so at this point our conversation has moved into the theoretical. The information in my previous post was told to me by Lin, and through the interaction I have had with him and the after market products he makes for Barrett weapons I believe what he says is true. The only way to know for sure would be to do a head to head comparison. The most important point to make is that the M82/M107 is a 2 MOA weapon system under optimum conditions. Know this going in when you buy an M82/M107.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I know of people who have successfully done this. Having fired thousands of rounds through my barrett semi autos I see how in theory it could temporarily tighten up the barrel fit slightly, but I personally don't believe this would increase accuracy with any degree of measurable significance. I have shot at many FCSA competitions, where I have learned much from the most knowledgeable and experienced 50 shooters there is. I know of absolutely no factual or scientific evidence that this is a way to increase accuracy in the barrett. Again I personally don't believe this would increase accuracy.

You can shoot 50s at TVP you can't use any tracer or incendiary rounds. Just ball and match ammo only.

I just bought the AX I have not shot it yet just waiting for the weather to break.

I am thinking of putting a hdmr on this gun. Will it hold up to the 50 well enough? If not I have a Steiner to throw on it. But I do like the g2dmr reticle for holds. Thoughts?

Congrats on the purchase! Wish I had the kind of connections for a pice like that! I shoot my 50s at thunder valley, just non flammable rounds are permitted though. The long targets (over 1 mile) are not always up so make sure you verify they are before you make the drive.

Personally, my HDMR feels flimsy enough that it doesn't go near anything bigger than the SPR clone it's mounted on.

I got it off gunbroker. Took about two months of waiting and bidding. I know the Barrett's used to come with the bushnells but now they have the mark 4 from the factory. Did not know if there was an issue with them.

I got it off gunbroker. Took about two months of waiting and bidding. I know the Barrett's used to come with the bushnells but now they have the mark 4 from the factory. Did not know if there was an issue with them.

You bid on the MRB one there. I hope you understand you are getting a rifle only, not the Leupold and BORS he had in some of the photos. The Leupold and BORS would add $2500 to the price unless the dealer was just really a fool.

Yeah I certainly new the scope and bors did not come with the rifle. Still 9100 is the cheapest I seen a m107a1 sell for. Don't really care for the shit knuckle brown color but as long as it shoots I don't really care about color.

Nixed the bushnell and decided on a razor 5-25 ebr2b with a spuhr. After feeling the trigger definitely think I am going to hit up shryver for a new trigger in the future. It will be a little while till I get rounds loaded and the scope on.

Does anyone know if I mount the vortex in a 20 Moa spuhr if I will still get a hundred yard zero? Or just get a 0 Moa mount? I know 100 yard zero is a bit redundant on a 50 but just easier that way since my 300 yard berm needs some work.

How much elevation travel does your scope have? My USO has 95 and I have a 20 Moa mount on the barrett 27 Moa rail. I can only get a 300 yard zero though. At first I was frustrated with this but now I don't mind it. I have only shot inside of 300 once and it's easy to hold a few Moa low. My ballistic calculator even does the adjustment for me.

My experience is a little limited on the M82 end. My initial exposer while in the Marines was not positive, granted I only shot it a few times, with ball ammo and my knowledge of shooting the Barrett was very limited and the net result was the classic 2-4 MOA groups.

That said, since then I have a few thousand rounds logged on the M107 and gain few bits of knowledge which has led to considerable improvements in the accuracy of the system. I’ve the M107 hover around 1 MOA with some good lots Mk211 and out to 2 MOA-ish with the less desirable lots. I’d expect carefully build had loads to match this performance…if (and this is key) the shooter is capable.

I can’t say for sure with any hard data that the M107 is truly better that the M82 but I’d chose the M107 in a heartbeat over the M82 simple because of my positive experience with it.

As you continue your quest with the Barrett keep these three points in prospective.

1. Quality Ammo: If you shoot shit ball ammo, you’re going to get shit results. AP seems to be a little tighter that ball but don’t expect much improvement. Hand loading is a must if you’re going to have any expectation of accuracy. Unless of course you’re working for Uncle Sugar and have piles of Mk211 you’re sitting on.

2. Barrel Diameter vs. Bore Diameter vs Rate of Fire: Take a good look at just how thin that sucker is. Yeah sure it’s like an inch wide but you bore is a half an inch, there is not as much metal there as one would think and that thing heats up fast. I generally would start to see vertical stringing after 10-15 rounds (depending on rate of fire) after letting the gun cool down that vertical stringing would go away.

3. Consistence Recoil Management: The M107/82 is not a Bolt Gun, it is not a Gas Gun, it’s so much worse …its RECOL operated. The M107 is a finicky cunt and its recoil operation demands that you provide consistent follow through and recoil management to ensure repeatable cycle of operations. Best way to counter this is by a “tight” pull/hold that drives the gun in a liner fashion straight back into the pocket of the shoulder. I’ve always preferred shooting from the seating position as I’ve found it to be the most useful in field conditions and easiest position to maintain a consistently tight pull/hold.

P.S. Double ear pro is a good idea if you value your hearing, I lost 60% or so the hard way.