• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett M82A1

SSG3K

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 31, 2003
    Mi
    Was maybee looking to get a 50 soon. Is this a good one or is it just an 8000 dollar AK? Any input would be great.

Thanks

Rich

Re: Barrett M82A1

I think of it as an $8000 scoped battle rifle but an AK is a reasonable comparison too.

It'll eat what you feed it and you'll have a lot of fun but it'll never be a true precision rifle.

May just be a big battle rifle, but it is the standard to which all are compared.

Barrett: Turning cover into concealment since 1989.

You will not be disappointed.

Cheers,

Sirhr

(Yes, I have an M82... it is a thing of beauty. And if you handload for it... it's pretty damn accurate.)

The ones I have dealt With we're not close to moa rifles but that is not a large sample. They certainly have the big pee pee factor in them. Best trick I have seen in an 82 is its ability to make cash disappear .

I always wonder how many people actually have shot the rifles in question before posting their comments, especially with stuf like this. This is not directed at anyone in particular, so please don't take offense.

I've shot the M821A1 and M107A1 back to back and compared them. I would have to agree that the M821A is not as accurate and is somewhat of a "battle rifle", but the M107A1 is a different story. The M107A1 has less felt recoil and 1/2 to 3/4 MOA accuracy, at least the one I shot. In my opinion, take a look at the M107A1, as Barretts did make some good improvements.

A 338 Lapua is probably a better choice for a true extreme long-range precision rifle because of the caliber advantages. But for a man transportable anti-vehicle rifle with real smack-down power...it is hard to beat a 50BMG. Plus, 50BMG is more available and you can get military surplus ammo.

In short the M107A1 is a nice weapon.

I already have the 338lm so no need there. If im gonna drop 11k im probably gonna go ax50.

No question... there are more accurate BMG's out there.

AX50 is one of them. So is the McMillan Tac50 and the later Barrett M107 variant. Of course, two of those three are bolt-actions, which are inherently more accurate. And the M107 is based on the M82. Tuned and improved... but an M82 at heart.

Ultimately, the M82 is anything but a shotgun. Especially if fed right. Most accurate BMG? No. Very good for a semi? Yup. Very good, period? Yup.

Also, there are better rounds than the .50 BMG. The .408 CheyTac probably at the top of the heap. .338 not far off at 1K+ yards, but the OP has one already...

If the ultimate long-range accuracy is the goal here, skip the M82 and the M107 and the AX50. In short, skip the .50 BMG entirely. Think hard about an M200 CheyTac in .408.

Of course, then you will have to get a Marky Mark haircut... ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Yes, the M82 should not be considered a precision rifle. It fills a niche for sure, but it's not even close to a 1MOA rifle. I got out of the Army before the M107 was fielded (90s SF we had M82s), so they may have improved accuracy, but it's hard to imagine how you could make the recoiling barrel mechanism any more accurate. With comparable ammo it's almost on par with a Ma Deuce. Still, when employed properly it's a great rifle.

The bolt-action options from Barrett are better, but then there are better bolt action options from other companies as well. After years shooting M82s and some custom .50 bolt guns, experiencing the accuracy of a TAC-50 changed my attitude about .50BMG rifles. These days there are lots of good, accurate options to choose from.

As for .408 Cheytac, the vast majority of extreme range shooters have transitioned to the ballistically superior .375 Cheytac variant. More bullet options and better extreme range performance, hands down. A .375CT is your best option if you want accuracy and distance against paper and steel. If you need to stop a vehicle though, the payload capabilities of .50BMG make it the preferable choice.

Just looking at 50 variants. I know all the answers to all the other calibers. Just really looking for opinions on the semi 50 from barrett.

Thanks

Rich

I have an M107A1 and have had 2 M82s prior to that. Lots of rounds down range with this platform. I am far from an expert, but I can say with 100 percent confidence none of these rifles were, or are a sub MOA rifle. I'll be the first to proclaim I love the fire power of the semi auto, but a precision rifle it is not.

My McMillan is crazy accurate! 1/2 MOA with match bullets and 1MOA with API!

I'll add that the Barrett (M82A1/M107 specifically) holds its value very well from a collector's standpoint.

If you want a precision rifle it's hard to beat the versitility, accuracy and weight of the Desert Tactical Arms Hard Target Intervention and it comes in a bit less costly than the Barrett.

The Armalite AR-50 is a tack driver and an amazing value.
    M82M1a's are fun... but I'd get a McMillian if I wanted to spend more on a 50.
    But really, I'm more interested in a .338lm AW for those kinds of prices.