• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett MRAD vs Desert Tech SRS A1 - Need Help

TacticalZL1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2017
Evening,

I am sure this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't seem to find it through the search feature.

Anyway, I am looking to jump head first into long range shooting, and I am very interested in the MRAD or SRS A1 to give me the options to try different calibers. I have read a ton on both, and would like some opinions from others who have shot them.

I like the SRS, but have been seeing a lot of people complain about the lack of support from DT when something breaks, and requires warranty work. They seem to be very focused on their MDR platform at the moment.

What is everyone's thoughts on the two platforms?

Thanks

Pretty funny...but so true.
But really, you have to get behind the dt.
Bull pups are not for everyone, I am one of them.
Couldn't get comfortable.

I would say that the choice is MRAD or AI.

Pretty funny...but so true.
But really, you have to get behind the dt.
Bull pups are not for everyone, I am one of them.
Couldn't get comfortable.

I have gotten behind the DT, and it is a little awkward, but I could get use to it. :)

I went DT SRS A1. Was at a match the other day and one of the RO's had a beautiful AI with him. Side by side was silly... AI was so much longer! I honestly couldn't imagine lugging around tradition bolt rifles. So long, front heavy, and most cannot switch to any caliber like an SRS can. I much prefer everything about the SRS over my 700's. Feels better, more compact, better balanced, the list goes on and on!

Reactions: Juggerxxx
Desert Tech SRS A1 is a love it or hate it rifle. I love mine, everything about it works great for my needs . Short overall length makes them perfect for a suppressor.

I debated between the barret and the Desert tech, I ended up with and love my MRAD. In the end, the bullpup design, while compact and well balanced was the differentiating factor for me in addition to having read negatives about the mags. Sure, some of buying the MRAD was the name (who doesn't want to say they own a barrett??) but the 2 times I called them for product information, the experience was top notch. The rifle is solid, simple and performs. Which is what I want.

Reactions: Raik and gnatmm
I would choose between the MRAD or the AXMC.

I contemplated getting the SRS A1 but I just don't trust them as a company after the latest MDR release.

Right now I am in the AXMC or nothing camp if I amp spending my own money.

I was in a similar situation and was looking into any switchbarrel system. I ended up checking out everyone I could find at shot show this year. While I have only been able to shoot the AI I did try to wear out one of each at the show. I did end up with an AI AXMC in the end from mile high. however opinions are like you know what and everyone has one. Here's mine :)

MRAD
Ergonomics – I actually like the MRAD a lot more than I thought I would. Everything seemed to be well placed and comfortable. Barrel swaps were pretty straight forward and easily done in the field.
Price – price was probably the best of the switch barrel systems. The barrel conversions were a decent bit more than some of the others so I think it would even out on the system price in the long run.
new calibers – unfortunately you can only get new cals from Beretta from what I understand. They do have a decent offering that is expanding from the looks of it. I asked the rep what the chances were of buying a caliber of your choice if they didn’t have it and his response if enough people wanted it they would make a run of them. I took that to mean probably not going to happen until it was a pretty popular caliber.

SRS A1
Ergonomics – Like others said this is hit or miss. I didn’t mind the bull pup too much but couldn’t get beyond the trigger and possible weak side shooting. Trigger is very good for a bullpup but still suffers from being a bullpup. Loved the overall size though and it would be super handy to get around. Absolutely did not like the magazines though.
Price – pretty close in price to the mrad I think. Barrel conversions are still a decent bit I think a little more than the mrads.
new calibers – decent offering from the factory and they also offer a “kit” that you can buy the barrel “bushing?” not sure what its called but includes a print that you can have a smith turn a barrel in whatever you want.

AXMC
Ergonomics – like the rifle a lot. Very heavy though esp with my saker can on it. Honestly my 2 stage trigger is not quite as good as I would like there is a slight amount of creep in it and may talk to AI about it soon. Barrel swaps are pretty easy and straight forward.
Price – pretty damn expensive up front. Every freaking thing is expensive (I think an extractor is like $100 alone). You can get barrels cheaper than the rest though usually around 650-850 for stainless bartleins.
new calibers – nice thing is you can get just about anyone to chamber whatever you’d like since there are no special parts. if you get the short action its even better since the blanks are more readily available. Although you lose the magnum capability you would gain a small firing pin from the factory. It was a pretty hard toss up for me to decide between these 2 to be honest.

Reactions: Raik and gnatmm
I have a DTA and an AXMC. No experience with the MRAD. I’m guessing you left out the AXMC because it’s a bit more expensive than the other 2.

My experience with DTA has been great so far, only had 2 issues that needed “warranty” help. Coldbore Miracle on here works in their service department and is of great help should you need anything. Also join the Facebook DTA group and you’ll get a lot of help there.

I love the DTA because it can run anything from .223-.338 and in between. Seen a guy single feed a 510 whisper! The mags aren’t as nice if you’re used to AI mags, but hey they could be worse. One good thing about the mags is the absurdly generous amount of room to seat bullets long in it if you need/want too.

I also find the oversized buttpad nice on my DTA from transitioning from prone to seated, awkward positions, etc.
Barrels can be sourced for much cheaper than factory and closer to AXMC prices from some custom Smith’s that do amazing work. And there’s so many that now do DTA barrels: LRI, SAC, TS Customs, Proof, and more that I’m forgetting.

You can hunt with the DTA and not dread the experience either. Get a really slim contour hunting barrel to save weight, with a light weight scope and you could possibly come in around 13lbs total. Not to mention you have a very short rifle so it’s super easy to move around with.

So I personally find more versatility in my DTA than my AXMC. But it’s your money just buy what you want and shoot the sh*t out of it.

Like I said before if it was any company other than DT I would own a SRS A1 but I just have no interest in dealing with DT after the MDR release. It was just that horrible.

Like I said before if it was any company other than DT I would own a SRS A1 but I just have no interest in dealing with DT after the MDR release. It was just that horrible.

You are not the first to state this. I am on a few other forums, and it seems that more people have had issues with the support of the DT, and I am wondering if the company is going to continue to be in business for the long haul. I know Barrett has been around for ever. I will take a look a the AXMC.

Last edited:
I owned a first Gen 1 SRS. Owned being the operative word. It went back to the factory a lot. They sent me a lot of parts.

After having that thing crap out in several major matches, my teammate named it 'Don't Take Anywhere'.

Buy an AI and be happy.

Reactions: Terryw123
I own a MRAD so I'm a little bias. I'd say if you want all the calibers under the sun pick AI or DT. If you want simple clean rifle with mainstream calibers go Barrett. If you want to get in and get out go AI, higher resale value(smoother bolt). Anything that can shoot 338 LM is going to be heavy and shoot well. It helps when shooting smaller calibers. Proof carbon barrels are available in all systems and I highly recommend them in none of the barrel burning calibers!

Last edited:
I get the concern over the MDR release but to be fair the SRS is a known quantity and has been around for a while now. DT might have bit off more than they could chew with the MDR but they do push the envelope. It’s not like they are releasing another Rem700 clone. The A1 seems to have worked out the kinks from previous generations, in general. I’ve asked guys that have had problems and they always admit it was an older gen. Ergos might not be for everyone but usually a little time allows for adaptation if it isn’t comfy at first. I really have no prob with it and I also own some highly adjustable rifles. I would say mag ergos are a little more wonky, but practice helps. There is something to be said for a suppressed rifle that is still shorter than a conventional rifle and still running plenty of barrel length for good speed. Many great gun smiths turning barrels for it too. There are not any readily available rifles that I know of that offer the barrel tennon support an SRS does. Talking at least 4.5”. I know many rifles can shoot bug holes but I don’t think I’ve ever loaded for a rifle so easily. The nodes are stupid wide on every barrel I have. There also seems to be a trend on small groups from these rifles too. Very forgiving. Additionally there is a well documented trigger mod that will take any bit of creep out. My trigger breaks at 1.25 lbs, very crisp. I haven’t had problems with my 6 round mags, and I had one modded to run 7 SAUM at 3.10” OAL, sweet. Heard they got the 10 rounders figured out but I’m not sure. Length of it where it is at has to be a little weird, but I haven’t tried it. Maybe not my first pick for a PRS type match for mag and bolt manipulation but the rifle is super easy to move around with and shoot positionally so it has advantages. Ultimately you have to figure out what kind of shooting you want to do. If you want to own a very unique rifle that is easier to walk around (especially suppressed) and highly accurate get the SRS. If you want a more traditional feel and think you will shoot PRS type matches I’d go AI. FWIW, I own other rifles and like them a lot too, I just think it is worth mentioning how cool the SRS is.

Conrad, I do like the look, and the weight of the SRS. That's why its in the running for my next rifle. The concern I have is with the DT support. I have heard some good, and bad. I've heard they have a answering machine that seems to be the go too for talking to someone at support. I've heard people not getting called back, and just leaving message after message. So that raises some red flags for me. I'd like to know that if I have a problem I can talk to a live person, and they are going to help me work through it. I agree the SRS seems to have worked out the kinks, but does that mean much if the company that makes the rifle may not be around. I get that DT makes some great products, but they seem to be having issues with turning them out, and supporting them.

Make sense?

I have had both.

You could not give me another DTA, both my SRS and Covert were miserable rifles. Nothing but feeding issues with short action calibers, the mags sucked for working with bags in the rear or mag changes, bolt manipulation was awkward, and the triggers were pretty terrible.

The MRAD is a nice rifle. Very well done, my main complaint being lack of barrel availability and you can't get anyone to make any.

If you want the best, buy an AXMC. I have one and it's pretty much all I shoot. It works flawlessly and there's a ton of caliber options and just about any gunsmith can make and ship you one. AI also offers a pretty nice selection of factory barrel options which are top notch.

Reactions: SRSDriver
Conrad, I do like the look, and the weight of the SRS. That's why its in the running for my next rifle. The concern I have is with the DT support. I have heard some good, and bad. I've heard they have a answering machine that seems to be the go too for talking to someone at support. I've heard people not getting called back, and just leaving message after message. So that raises some red flags for me. I'd like to know that if I have a problem I can talk to a live person, and they are going to help me work through it. I agree the SRS seems to have worked out the kinks, but does that mean much if the company that makes the rifle may not be around. I get that DT makes some great products, but they seem to be having issues with turning them out, and supporting them.

Make sense?

Makes complete sense. I guess I feel lucky in that when I got my SRS 1.5 years ago I called DT up, spoke to a person and I ordered extra bolts and extensions. Haven’t had any issues. Maybe I got lucky with service and it is again in a lull ? ColdboreMiracle apparently works for them now and is fairly active here. Anyway, all things considered confidence in your system is a huge deal, factor in everything else and AI is where I would stear you. My other primary rifle is the new Tubb gun but I’m familiar with his rifles having owned a T2K. This new one can do a lot, but given it is new that might not be what you’re after.

Quite often on the desert tech Facebook page (?I know Facebook) I see people pop up with issues and someone from desert tech chimes in and shares their phone number and email so the issue can be rectified and almost always covered under warranty. I absolutely love my desert tech and have not had a single issue with it except it shoots better than I can take advantage of.

I've got the MRAD and AXMC. The AXMC has such a WOW factor to it and they do an incredible job of supporting the system with parts and barrels that if you are going to have more than a couple barrels that is the way I would go. That being said, every time I take out the MRAD and shoot it I am VERY impressed with it as well. If you are only looking for a couple of mainstream calibers the MRAD is an excellent choice (and is less money to get into) but if you want very many calibers the AXMC might be better. I can't speak to the DTA at all as I've never even handled one but they also have a good sized fan base.

hine that seems to be the go too for talking to someone at support. I've heard people not getting called back, and just leaving message after message. So that raises some red flags for me. I'd like to know that if I have a problem I can talk to a live person, and they are going to help me work through it. I agree the SRS seems to have worked out the kinks, but does that mean much if the company that makes the rifle may not be around. I get that DT makes some great products, but they seem to be having issues with turning them out, and supporting them.
do yourself a favor, Call up barrett, ask them some questions about the rifle, options, features, etc, and tell me how you feel your experience went... When I've called them (to confirm part numbers before ordering something or parts availability) the call has always been a model of customer service.

Reactions: Raik
I know this thread is over a week old, but after I skimmed through it I have to point out something no one else has mentioned.
Disclaimer: I went through this exact decision a couple years ago, and went with the DT SRS.

I didn’t have any major problems with the MRAD, but I have always tried to avoid putting myself in a position of overly limited options, and I couldn’t imagine myself being happy forever with the vanilla caliber options offered by the Barrett.

The ballistic/harmonic advantages offered by the SRS, combined with the endless chambering possibilities are what decided me on the SRS.

Here’s what no one has mentioned yet- you don’t NEED to depend on DT for customer service. As long as they don’t entirely derp themselves out of business, pick a reputable dealer to buy from, and run anything you need help with through them!
As a long time hide member I was aware of Greg (Orcan) and his company Primal Rights and their absolutely outstanding commitment to customer service. I bought through him, and absolutely could not be happier. If you go through him, pay the couple extra $’s to get a TS Customs barrel instead of the factory offering... I’ve been amazed at how accurate, and easy to load for all of Travis’s barrels have been.