• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrett MRAD?

fred007

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2011
USA - Midwest
Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this rifle. I've read a number of reviews and seen some videos from SHOT but was curious about any practical experience. I am looking for a nice .338 and was fairly settled on a TRG-42 but am now considering the MRAD. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Barrett MRAD?

The Mrad is a nice system. Now to get it with the 24 inch or 27 inch...man I need to find a better job. Lol

Very nice looking rifle, thanks for the link! The guys at my club that really shoot long distances recommended the Sako. I was pretty set on that, but if the MRAD is as accurate (which I currently have no knowledge of) the one thing that "feels" interesting would be the ability to switch calibers. Well... it would also be "cool" to own a Barrett. This would be a very large indulgence on my part so am taking my time on the decision.

Let me know what you find out about the accuracy of the Barrett. I too Am in the market for a .338

Cheers !!!

If you are thinking about a multi-cal system The Desert Tactical Arms SRS is tried and trued. I have read a lot about the MRAD and there is some skepticism about it holding accuracy with barrel changes. All I am is saying is that if I were going to spend all that money I would want to know for sure the system I was purchasing was going to be "dead nuts" accurate.

The issue with the DTAs are that they do not always work right out of the box. I have seen plenty of them around here and I have yet to see one that functioned 100%. Most of them have had to get parts replaced and quite a few still have intermittent problems.

At the SHC we have a "walk in" stage where the shooters engage a 1 MOA target from 500 yards in, and only 2 people out of 60+ cleaned the stage, 1 was using an MRAD. 5 Shot groups on each target, the MRAD cleaned it.

Also we have had several people try to compete with a 338 caliber rifle and they have never fared well until Tom Fuller brought a Barrett 338, he was a Top 10 shooter in a tactical competition usually won by 6.5 caliber rifles.

I have a video on Youtube of me shooting an MRAD and on command went instructed to hit an 8X14 target at 1000 yards, I just transition to it and nail it.

The MRAD is plenty accurate. The guys out here from TBAC use the MRAD to great success. Accuracy is not an issue and is much more flexible than a TRG.

Well coming from Frank says a lot. Now need to save my pennies and convince the wife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The issue with the DTAs are that they do not always work right out of the box. I have seen plenty of them around here and I have yet to see one that functioned 100%. Most of them have had to get parts replaced and quite a few still have intermittent problems. </div></div>
Wow...I just bought one. I have yet to shoot it, but I'll get a chance tomorrow. I hope what you are saying doesn't ring true for me.

Did Barrett announce when the switch calibers were gonna be out ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotRod308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.338 to .260 = cat's ass! </div></div>

Has the .260 been confirmed. I've heard rumors of it

Does anyone know where to get ahold of an MRAD? Can't seem to find anyone with it in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoBig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The issue with the DTAs are that they do not always work right out of the box. I have seen plenty of them around here and I have yet to see one that functioned 100%. Most of them have had to get parts replaced and quite a few still have intermittent problems. </div></div>
Wow...I just bought one. I have yet to shoot it, but I'll get a chance tomorrow. I hope what you are saying doesn't ring true for me. </div></div>
I'm very fortunate!!! I got a chance to shoot my DTA SRS in 300 Win Mag for the very first time today and did not have any issues. They must be doing something right these days!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know where to get ahold of an MRAD? Can't seem to find anyone with it in stock.</div></div>

Try Lin Schriver gun sales.

I called Barrett this morning to fond out when the other calibers would be out and he said this year .. but was vague on when this year. This is a sweet rifle.

Sounds like they are running a year behind at this point. All the switch barrels sets were supposed to be out towards the end of last year. Sounds like people will be lucky to see them by mid year this year now
smirk.gif

What about the different barrel lengths? I was thinking 24 or 27 but am curious about any experience folks have had. I guess you could have both at some point, but wondering if you had to pick one, which one would you pick. Thanks.

I've been shooting a MRAD for a few months now. It's been very accurate. I like it a lot