• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrett Rec10?

I have one and like it a lot so far. It’s been surprisingly accurate for a carbine with a lightweight chrome lined barrel. Moa or slightly better with match ammo, and around 1.5-2 moa with German men milsurp. a few things about it annoy me though. It comes with the bottom tier alg trigger, just a smoothed out mil-spec not even their act trigger. Imo a 2500 dollar gun should come with something better than a 45 dollar trigger. They also originally said on their website that it was supposed to come with a hydraulic buffer. Mine didn’t and came with a standard h2 buffer. I even checked their website after I bought it and they had taken that part out of the description.

Honestly in stock form I wasn’t that impressed. so I threw in a JP h2 scs, triggertech adaptable trigger and a dead air muzzle brake and It’s a completely different rifle now. Loved that they went with an intermediate length gas system too. It’s shoots insanely soft with the long gas system, JP spring and muzzle brake. I’ve got a scar 17 as well and honestly I think I like the Barrett better. Similar accuracy, less recoil, slightly cheaper, not as over gassed when suppressed and doesn’t destroy optics. So if your willing to throw 500 bucks in it after you buy it, it can be an awesome rifle. If your going to get a factory built .308 carbine and you don’t want to pay for an sr-25, then this or an lmt mws are your best bet imo. I chose the Barrett because of how heavy and overgassed the Lmt’s are.

Attachments

• 99D7001E-8719-4228-80F5-3926B9C45898.jpeg
    99D7001E-8719-4228-80F5-3926B9C45898.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 151
  • C6E84CDC-3BA7-4F2E-A8E2-E7401A0DD581.jpeg
    C6E84CDC-3BA7-4F2E-A8E2-E7401A0DD581.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 121
  • C5274B2B-1CDF-4444-BC50-8C37915154D2.jpeg
    C5274B2B-1CDF-4444-BC50-8C37915154D2.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 161
Thanks. That’s the kind of information I was looking for. My brother is wanting a large frame AR and has been eyeing the Rec10. I’ll pass the information along to him.

Thanks. That’s the kind of information I was looking for. My brother is wanting a large frame AR and has been eyeing the Rec10. I’ll pass the information along to him.
your asking for your brother, THEN that means that He HAS to allow you to shoot it every now and then because you did all the leg work for him !

It’s not going to work that way, we live a few states apart. Anyway, I’ve also got him looking at the Seekins SP10.

I have only fired a shooting buddys Rec-10 across a few range trips. I do not own one. As mentioned above, the trigger was not what I expected. It would need to be an immediate upgrade, but hey thats almost all AR platforms now days. He has not had the same accuracy as he gets out of his Seekins rifle. If I remember correctly, don't quote me, he has right at 1 MOA groups, or just under, with he Barrett. At the same time, he has .5 to .7 MOA groups with the SP10 and factory ammo.

That was my thinking in having him look at the Seekins after hearing about the Barrett barrel and trigger. The SP10 is better in both regards. Best case, he would expand his budget a little and let me build him a rifle.

I’m not shocked that the seekins 416 stainless barrel will outshoot the light profile 4140 chrome lined Barrett barrel. Ive been impressed with the Barrett’s accuracy all things considered, but I have thought about throwing a bartlein from Craddock in it. It just kind of defeats the whole idea of a lightweight carbine is why I haven’t done it yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Is he dead set on 308? I just ask because a Seekins SP10 in 6.5 has been on my mind for a while now. I saw an interview that Frank did with Seekins and have had this strange idea to get a gas gun for some precision shooting. Im not sure why, but at the same time why not?

Not sure yet. He bought into building it so I ordered him a billet set from SLR this morning.

Thats odd that Barrett would skimp on the trigger,I have a gen2 rec7 and the trigger is very smooth.

Reactions: BigRed308
Its not necessarily odd. It seems to be the trend on the tactical side of things. Now days everyone has their own idea of what trigger is best. Rather than run the price up $200 for a Timney the leave it cheap so you can install a Giessle, Hyperfire, or Trigger Tech, you get the picture. Either way they let the shooter decide which high end trigger they want

Sorry to resurrect but am trying to decide on next 308 battle rifle after having had Scar17 and PWS MK216. Liked the Scar, loved the PWS. Looking at the Barrett mentioned above but also LMT and Larue. Anyone care to point out Pros/Cons? Not looking to change calibers as am heavily invested in 308.

Sorry to resurrect but am trying to decide on next 308 battle rifle after having had Scar17 and PWS MK216. Liked the Scar, loved the PWS. Looking at the Barrett mentioned above but also LMT and Larue. Anyone care to point out Pros/Cons? Not looking to change calibers as am heavily invested in 308.
I owned two LMTs at one point a Danish and south American, wish I never sold the south American. But I had with 175gr fgmm both at. 77 @ 100yrds fairly consistently.
I just wanted a piston and bought a lwrc repr mk1. But the LMTs have a bit of heft, but that's fine if you're using it for target or hunting out of a blind.

I like mine, it’s a solid rifle but has some drawbacks. It won’t run with my SDN-6, so if you want suppressed you’ll need a low back pressure suppressor. Ergonomics are good, very light and low recoil for a 308, mine has had great accuracy with a few 150 gr TTSX loads, not so great with FGMM, luckily I have plenty of the TTSX Ammo or I would probably see about sending it in to a Barrett, as it was 2+ MOA with FGMM, but can get .75-1 with the Barnes bullets. Reliability has been 100% unsuppressed.

I have a mws, sr25, and scar and really like how the rec 10 looks.

I think with a few upgrades such as trigger, and muzzle device, it could prove to be a suitable competitor to the sr25 acc at a significantly lower price point.

I'd recommend sticking with the Scar and PWS. I'm actually looking at the PWS MK216 to replace the Rec10 I had to send back to the factory. The charging handle on the Rec10 began reciprocating when I swapped out the standard flash hider for a muzzle brake. Tried swapping charging handles, still had the issue. Barrett never did end up finding out what was wrong with it. Supposedly the Rec10's are way over gassed from what I was able to find on other forums but who knows. That said, obviously I wasn't impressed with the Rec10.

I'd recommend sticking with the Scar and PWS. I'm actually looking at the PWS MK216 to replace the Rec10 I had to send back to the factory. The charging handle on the Rec10 began reciprocating when I swapped out the standard flash hider for a muzzle brake. Tried swapping charging handles, still had the issue. Barrett never did end up finding out what was wrong with it. Supposedly the Rec10's are way over gassed from what I was able to find on other forums but who knows. That said, obviously I wasn't impressed with the Rec10.
REC10’s are gassed for 147gr NATO, if you put heavier rounds in them they’re definitely overgassed.

My model is pretty recent and it came from Barrett with a muzzle brake. No issue with the charging handle. That’s odd. Might be the notch cut on the receiver wasn’t retaining the latch.

REC10’s are gassed for 147gr NATO, if you put heavier rounds in them they’re definitely overgassed.

My model is pretty recent and it came from Barrett with a muzzle brake. No issue with the charging handle. That’s odd. Might be the notch cut on the receiver wasn’t retaining the latch.
The whole thing was definitely odd. Barret was great to work with but I definitely would hope their team at the factory would be able to immediately identify if it was a shallow/improperly drilled notch for the latch. I had the rifle at the factory twice (the second time for months) and they never did figure out what the issue was.

It's weird too if they're gassed only specifically for 147gr. In my talks with them at the factory, Barrett never mentioned that at all and this is the first time I'm hearing that. Also having the 1 in 10 twist rate suggests the use of heavier ammunition and a potential for added stability of those heavier rounds. I could be wrong.

Either way, crazy that a close to $3k rifle wouldn't be designed to function consistently with various ranges of ammunition, and that doesn't have an adjustable gas block to address that issue.

Definitely a rifle I wouldn't own again. Hope you have better luck and yours keep truckin' along.

The whole thing was definitely odd. Barret was great to work with but I definitely would hope their team at the factory would be able to immediately identify if it was a shallow/improperly drilled notch for the latch. I had the rifle at the factory twice (the second time for months) and they never did figure out what the issue was.

It's weird too if they're gassed only specifically for 147gr. In my talks with them at the factory, Barrett never mentioned that at all and this is the first time I'm hearing that. Also having the 1 in 10 twist rate suggests the use of heavier ammunition and a potential for added stability of those heavier rounds. I could be wrong.

Either way, crazy that a close to $3k rifle wouldn't be designed to function consistently with various ranges of ammunition, and that doesn't have an adjustable gas block to address that issue.

Definitely a rifle I wouldn't own again. Hope you have better luck and yours keep truckin' along.
AR-10’a are naturally pretty picky. They were designed and advertised as true battle rifles, which means they’re shooting what .mil uses commonly, which is 147gr NATO. The 1-10 twist is great for heavier rounds but the gun is gassed for the 147’s, which it runs very nicely. It also has a chromed barrel and bore.

A Sprinco Orange definitely made mine a smoother shooter and it runs 180gr soft points great now with just that change. The ambidextrous controls and overall feel of the gun are very high quality, without being at a Knight’s level.