• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Barska Optics

SmugTuna

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2014
Does anybody have any experience with their scopes? I'm looking for a good scope for my 338 Lapua Mag.

In all fairness I would suggest if you want a scope in the $300 range I would do a fixed power swfa. That big magnum will make a barska crumble

Don't waste the money. If you can afford to shoot a 338lm, surely you can get a better scope. You get what you pay for in optics. Buy once..cry once.

Great for the .338 airsoft rifles. And as you can tell from the posts above, they are not very good optics. I have seen a few old up on rim fires or even a .223 but the glass is sub par, turrets lacking, mechanical adjustments not to be trusted, reticle does not match turrets and is more or less there to look purdy and they don't hold zero if exposed to any abuse greater then a pillow fight. Other then that I would give them four stars like everyone else on optics planet.

Sully

You're pretty funny. You wrote this in a thread about Harbor Freight tools:

"With life long experience in construction, I would not buy anything from harbour freight, especially if you're going to trust your life (or at least your hands) with the product of it...just my 2 cents."

Barska is the Harbor Freight of the optics world.

So I gather, if I read between the lines, they are horrible...Thanks! What would you guys recommend (brand & power) for this round?

I don't think one has to read between any lines at all....barska is crap.

Narcissism is the belief in nothing masquerading as tolerance of everything...Ayn Rand
www.2AFight.com

I know, I'm a bit sarcastic most of the time

Last edited:
how much are you willing to spend. fixed power SWFA scopes run around $300 and will hold up to the 338. $500 will step you into some decent variable powers.

I'm getting the Primary Arms 1-6 with that new killer reticle just to see if it's as good as they are touting it to be. It's less than $350 so I figure it's not too much to try out. Have an Elcan spectreDR right now.

Narcissism is the belief in nothing masquerading as tolerance of everything...Ayn Rand
www.2AFight.com

I have real world experience with their 6.5-20 x40. Plain and simple it broke after 64 rounds of 308 winchester. I turned the scope back down after shooting to see the difference in power and hear a small click. After that I tried to turn it back up to 20X and it wouldn't zoom in. Me being the typical man started playing with it and of course when I sent it back the warranty was voided because of me trying to figure out what happened. I now have a SWFA SS Fixed 16x42. Love it. Was a little over 300.00 shipped to my house. No issues with it so far. And haven't really heard anything bad about it for being a cheaper scope.

Wish I had found this site before I purchased the barska. I went with the word of a coworker because he had one and in all actuality never shot much with it. Read up before you purchase. But in my opinion the SWFA is the way to go for a budget scope.

Last edited:
$3-4k, the rifle was ~3

OK, not going to ask why you brought up Barska when you have money for a S&B but the list would be; S&B, Premier/T-T, Steiner, Nightforce (ATACR or BEAST depending on what focal plane you want) or USO. That would be my 3-4K go to list.
Power, 5-25 would be a good choice and there are 5-25 options in most of those listed.

Sully

Thanks, I'm just gathering info before I pull the trigger on a nice piece of glass

I think the best glass for the money now are the trijicon 1-4's about $700 on average

www.2AFight.com

$3-4k, the rifle was ~3

S&B 5-25, Premier, NF ATACR or BEAST, Vortex Razor, Kahles 6-24. If you don't NEED FFP, the ATACR might be perfect. You get the quality of the high end scopes for a much cheaper price tag if you're just going to leave it on 25x for the entire time (I rarely am off max power with my .338 unless therei s a ton of mirage).

There is but one scope company to which all others are judged. With their advanced, top-secret lens coatings of Bertrillium-Zantitium, to their rigorous standards of withstanding forces upwards of 5000G's, the Dark Ops Holdings COUNTER SNIPER is the only scope choice for SEAL team 6.5, and the only scopes used by classified units all over the globe. If you only have one choice, the choice is Counter Sniper to defend your rights and freedom.

2dchorc.jpg

i just picked up a 10-40x50mm its on a 308 model 11. heading out tomorrow for a few rounds at 1,2,3,4,500 yrds. i let you guys know. i have heard ALOT of decent stuff about gen II barska's. but it ran about $300 for the scope. wish me luck, dont bash me yet. ive read a few of the threads. you guys all talk like you are all ex ranger snipers or scouts almost. im going to see if your telling truth or BS'ing. lol

i just picked up a 10-40x50mm its on a 308 model 11. heading out tomorrow for a few rounds at 1,2,3,4,500 yrds. i let you guys know. i have heard ALOT of decent stuff about gen II barska's. but it ran about $300 for the scope. wish me luck, dont bash me yet. ive read a few of the threads. you guys all talk like you are all ex ranger snipers or scouts almost. im going to see if your telling truth or BS'ing. lol

I'll wait for your field report.

Somewhere Shankster is sitting in at a computer with two assumed alias's, Bobby01 and Smug Tuna and laughing his ass off.

Sully

Ok, who is this really??

Sully

Sorry man, I'm a noob and have no problem asking questions, even if they're obvious to you. But I bet you always knew everything and never asked a question someone else thought was dumb.

Sorry man, I'm a noob and have no problem asking questions, even if they're obvious to you. But I bet you always knew everything and never asked a question someone else thought was dumb.

Tuna,

Three things;

1. I ask stupid questions all the time, just ask my wife. Just last night I asked if we could have sex and her reply "that's a stupid fucking question" then she rolled over and went to bed. So see, after ten years with the woman I am still a noob.

2. Search feature is your friend and had you used it and read even one item on Berska you would have already been educated. But, we have all missed that feature so no big deal. But then after you already got some intel that they are more or less Airsoft scopes you asked more questions, so expect some ribbing.... that brings us to the next point.

3. The hide is a community of professional shooters, military members and LEO of the highest grade. As such we have a bond, and when breaking into the circle you will get ribbed. I did, Darkside6 did, BGE did and Shankster did.... well perhaps not Shank or VJJpunisher, but they remain the exception. The community, like all testosterone laden establishments, will grade and accept you based on your ability to take crap, and dish it. Faster you can fling the monkey poo back at the other monkey's the faster you will be accepted into the pack and allowed to partake in other social monkey behaviors, such as masturbation.

So, no offense meant, Barska is shit, and feel free to fling poo back at me.

Sully

Tuna,

Three things;

1. I ask stupid questions all the time, just ask my wife. Just last night I asked if we could have sex and her reply "that's a stupid fucking question" then she rolled over and went to bed. So see, after ten years with the woman I am still a noob.

2. Search feature is your friend and had you used it and read even one item on Berska you would have already been educated. But, we have all missed that feature so no big deal. But then after you already got some intel that they are more or less Airsoft scopes you asked more questions, so expect some ribbing.... that brings us to the next point.

3. The hide is a community of professional shooters, military members and LEO of the highest grade. As such we have a bond, and when breaking into the circle you will get ribbed. I did, Darkside6 did, BGE did and Shankster did.... well perhaps not Shank or VJJpunisher, but they remain the exception. The community, like all testosterone laden establishments, will grade and accept you based on your ability to take crap, and dish it. Faster you can fling the monkey poo back at the other monkey's the faster you will be accepted into the pack and allowed to partake in other social monkey behaviors, such as masturbation.

So, no offense meant, Barska is shit, and feel free to fling poo back at me.

Sully

No worries, I greatly admire sharpshooters, I'm just trying to learn.

BTW, the Berska does a great job at watching your wife ;-)

Wow.....you got balls to break out a wife joke on a sniper forum........

you first ask about barska then your next scope of choice is S&B? I am lost.................

Never used any of the NF bench rest optics but have heard only good things. I have run the whole family of the tactical line NXS and now ATACR and they are great optics. I trust my life on them so buy with confidence.

Sully

Is your life worth anything? ;-)

Wife says I'm not worth a damn, but that is why I keep my life insurance policy under 5K. Don't want her getting any ideas if I bump it up too much.

Sully

Wife says I'm not worth a damn, but that is why I keep my life insurance policy under 5K. Don't want her getting any ideas if I bump it up too much.

Sully

Ha! Good thinking...see you're not all dumb.
-Aaron

You're pretty funny. You wrote this in a thread about Harbor Freight tools:

"With life long experience in construction, I would not buy anything from harbour freight, especially if you're going to trust your life (or at least your hands) with the product of it...just my 2 cents."

Barska is the Harbor Freight of the optics world.

Barska is crap in Russian.

Last edited: