• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Barska or Vortex

20Incher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
Westchester
Looking for a scope for my 10/22 ,either the Vortex crossfire $99(on backorder) or the barska varmint $72 looking to get familiar with playing with the turrets at different yards 0 to 200yrds ,I bought the 20moa base for it.I know their not the best but buying reloading equipment so funds are tight.Anybody play with either one and have feedback?

Re: Barska or Vortex

Get the vortex. It is a ton better than the Barska. I would mever put a barska on anything, I had one, I hated it, was horrible, glass had a heavy yellow tint, and it wouldn't hold zero on a 22.

VORTEX!

If you look there's a thread on here that was all about the crossfire scope. Vortex is a ton better quality then Barska. The backorder would be worth the wait I would think.

Your rifle will jam, your bullets will fly wildly and your stock will crack if you even attempt to mount a Baraska
smile.gif
Vortex!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go irons over a Barska. </div></div>
+1, just make the twisty motions with your fingers like your dialing elevation ect. save your money, or at least dont give it to the chinese.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could mount a paper towel roll in you rings and it would be better than both. </div></div>

If you're going to speak on a topic, make sure you can speak intelligently about it. I will agree that the Barska is crap and would probably be worse than a paper towel roll. However, the Vortex Crossfire is a great scope for the money! There is a lot of discussion on here about this scope and it seems to be thought very highly of!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RJ Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KSP446

A lot of discussion or a lot of hype? With all of the dry humping of these scopes of late you would think they are tickle me elmo dolls. If they make you happy - enjoy. </div></div>

hehe made me spit my drink all over my monitor!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 20incher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a scope for my 10/22 ,either the Vortex crossfire $99(on backorder) or the barska varmint $72 <span style="color: #3333FF">looking to get familiar with playing with the turrets </span>at different yards 0 to 200yrds ,I bought the 20moa base for it.I know their not the best but buying reloading equipment so funds are tight.Anybody play with either one and have feedback? </div></div>

If you get a Barska, I wouldn't recommend playing with the turrets. They're not designed for that and they tend to fall off when you do a lot of "turning".
Definitely go with the Vortex. I am getting ready to order the Crossfire 30mm 6-24 for $199 to put on a Savage Mk II trainer.
The Barska and the Crossfire may be close in price, but definitely not in quality.

If you don't want to wait, the muellers are as good as the crossfires. Cost will depend on exactly what you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 20incher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a scope for my 10/22 ,either the Vortex crossfire $99(on backorder) or the barska varmint $72 looking to get familiar with playing with the turrets at different yards 0 to 200yrds ,I bought the 20moa base for it.I know their not the best but buying reloading equipment so funds are tight.Anybody play with either one and have feedback? </div></div>

are the same scope from the same chinese factory?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Match308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go irons over a Barska. </div></div>

I'd go with a blindfold over a Barska.

I've got a buddy with one and it's the biggest POS I've ever had the displeasure of looking through.

+2, buy american, look at the Redfield line, at least you'll be keeping our money from the savages!

While i had serious issues with my first barska, they held up to the warranty. The replacement was crap right out of the box, windage wouldnt adjust at all, but like they say, 3rd time is a charm. It's not a mistake I will make again when its time to buy glass, but i have a 10-40x50 SWAT IR on my .243WSSM AR.
Its not something that i WANT on there anymore after getting to experience 3 different nightforce and a couple Mark IVs but for the money and at this point in my life...i'm not disapointed.
It holds VERY true, tracks more than far enough for me to shoot and returns to zero every time.

live and learn

I'd use a damn blindfold before a Barska... Buddy has one and it's just a paper weight.

I waited it out.Just got scope in from back order today and mounted it.Thanks for the input.Will dial in this weekend.

Think about it for a minute, is there any other component you would buy for your rifle that's designed, and produced by someone who doesn't shoot? Who is in fact prohibited from even possessing a firearm by their government? Chinese optics producers will put anyone who's willing to pay's name on their product,Your buying a gunsight, no matter how much you spent on your rifle a shitty gunsight will ruin it, a $100 scope is just that, it was landed here for less than 20 bucks, would you put a $20 scope on your rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think about it for a minute, is there any other component you would buy for your rifle that's designed, and produced by someone who doesn't shoot? Who is in fact prohibited from even possessing a firearm by their government? Chinese optics producers will put anyone who's willing to pay's name on their product,Your buying a gunsight, no matter how much you spent on your rifle a shitty gunsight will ruin it, a $100 scope is just that, it was landed here for less than 20 bucks, would you put a $20 scope on your rifle? </div></div>

Well said, remember, "cheap comes out expensive".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think about it for a minute, is there any other component you would buy for your rifle that's designed, and produced by someone who doesn't shoot? Who is in fact prohibited from even possessing a firearm by their government? Chinese optics producers will put anyone who's willing to pay's name on their product,Your buying a gunsight, no matter how much you spent on your rifle a shitty gunsight will ruin it, a $100 scope is just that, it was landed here for less than 20 bucks, would you put a $20 scope on your rifle? </div></div>

Nice comment Gary. Wish more understood this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 20incher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a scope for my 10/22 ,either the Vortex crossfire $99(on backorder) or the barska varmint $72 <span style="color: #3333FF">looking to get familiar with playing with the turrets </span>at different yards 0 to 200yrds ,I bought the 20moa base for it.I know their not the best but buying reloading equipment so funds are tight.Anybody play with either one and have feedback? </div></div>

If you get a Barska, I wouldn't recommend playing with the turrets. They're not designed for that and they tend to fall off when you do a lot of "turning".
Definitely go with the Vortex. I am getting ready to order the Crossfire 30mm 6-24 for $199 to put on a Savage Mk II trainer.
The Barska and the Crossfire may be close in price, but definitely not in quality. </div></div>

Maybe he meant Tourettes.

Spend the $150 on a good used B&L 3200 Eilte 10X Mil-dot and be done with it. Everyone should have one in their inventory as a go-to junker that actually tracks well for messing with different rifles when you have more rifles than glass.

As long as it tracks is all that matters.Hopefully I did'nt buy a POS because I'll be buying again.Just need it for squirrels and crows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: overgunned</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both are shit, IMO. Barska being the more fragrant.....</div></div>

couldnt disagree more. At least that Vortex isn't shit. I think the Viper is a great value. I would rather run a vortex viper in 6.5-20x44 than a Mark 4 in 6-20x50.