• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes BARSKA SWAT

Re: BARSKA SWAT

You're right, not everyone NEEDS a pricy scope, but anyone who is going to shoot at least needs a scope to be accurate. For no frills performance, try the SWFA SS 10x and it will do 90% of what most mid to long range shooters need and at least be accurate while you're at it.

If you want something with a bunch of bling and no zing, then good luck with your Barska.

I've looked through this scope at Gander Mountain and was not impressed at all. It had a $1,289 price tag and I nearly dropped it. I told the salesman that it was a misprint and supposed to be $289. It sat there for almost 2 years with the $1,289 price tag.

For the money, you can get better scopes. They might not look as "tacticool", but they will be reliable and functional. Do some searches on this site and look at the SH vendors and you will find better scopes in the same price range or for not much more than the SWAT.

What??? $320 for...Barska that CAN'T track or repeat, terrible light transfer, illumination breaks after 10 shots, Chinese glass...???

Get a JAPAN made SWFA SS for $299! Thank me later.

don't waste your money. I had one a few years ago(before I knew better) lasted about 100 rounds on my 308 before it started going out of focus after every shot.

Geeze wonder how theyve stayed in bussiness with reviews like this but thats what i've been looking for truefull answers

Thanks

no or know? I see education on this topic is key.

I see everyones point on this topic and well I got my answers i was looking for.

Guessing Millet or WOTAC for mid road glass will be choice for me...

I had one barska...after it broke I decided to not bother returning it and just shot trough it with my .338lm.....barska's make sub-par optics but great targets

just do whut everyones is saying.....buy a super sniper, cheesy name great optic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vincmm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no or know? I see education on this topic is key.

I see everyones point on this topic and well I got my answers i was looking for.

Guessing Millet or WOTAC for mid road glass will be choice for me...

</div></div>

You might want to look at the Vortex line of Scopes,I have several friends that own the inexpensive models and seem really pleased with them.

Looking for turret style adjusting...tatical scopes.
50mm min.
16 power min.

so I will @ this time hold out for my order...or call WOTAC and see if i get one through them directly.

This thread was started to see what reponses I would get and well ......

I'm just a guy who want to put together a rig that will be capable of reaching out a few couple hundo yrds....if i get bit by the LRS bug then by all menas I will save up for a bit more quality scope...

You don't have to have a 16 power scope to reach out a couple of hundred yards. If you want to do benchrest or small paper targets beyond 300yds, then maybe you do need 16 power. I've got a 3-15 Premier that I regularly shoot at 1,000yds and beyond. I'm thinking about buying a 2.5x10 Nightforce for a gun that I will shoot to 800yds at matches. In my opinion, believing that we have to have a lot of magnification in a scope is the most common mistake that we make in scope purchases. From my experience, as the magnification of a scope rises the negative aspects are also magnified, therefore requiring a higher quality to overcome those aspects. Depending on what you are planning on doing, I would suggest looking for a higher quality 3x12 or 2.5x10 then looking for a cheaper 16+ power. You will have a shorter, lighter weight scope with better eye relief. I'm not saying that there is not a time or place for 25+ power even, but from what you have said, 16 power should be the maximum power that you look for.

What is up with all of the paperweights (NC Star,Barska, BSA, Countersniper) and 1/8" MOA turrets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is up with all of the paperweights (NC Star,Barska, BSA, Countersniper) and 1/8" MOA turrets? </div></div>
The more "accurate" the adjustments, the more "accurate" the shooter right?
wink.gif

When you think your talents/skills exceed the quality of a NcStar then you promote yourself to Barska, BSA, and all those other under $300 'Tactical' Precision Optics found on fleabay and the more prominent gunshows!!!! I bought my first Leupy mid '80s after a couple of Bushnell Banner/Sportviews and a Trashco or two. Trust me, you will always regret buying a cheap POS but 'Never' regret buying a descent piece of glass that will last a lifetime instead of a yr or two if you're lucky!!!!! Walk through a couple of gunshows and see tables full of older Tasco, Simmons, BSA, etc, you rarely find Leupolds, older Redfields, Bausch & Lombs etc in these parts.However in this God forsakken country you never find used S&B's, NF, Swarovoski's etc either.lol

Listen to everyone here. If you get a Barska you will regret it. If you want a decent mid price scope go with the Vortex or Super Sniper. SWFA has them

My plan....is to be able to shoot 500 + yards..this may take me awhile to accomplish but that is what I'm setting rifle up to do...after that..keep moving outwards.

I picked up the 308 with the intention of going towards the 1000 yrd range if i can find a place to do so..but thinking 500-800 will be reasonable...

line of work we shoot 300 yrd from elevation with AR with aim point...once a year.

I don't have any intention of putting the SWAT on this rig..

I have asked around on the Millets and WOTACs and at this point that is the price range I wnat to hold up in....

If i get into the LRS scene then as i said earlier I will bank some $$ and step up the scope to better...

to me there is no best out there, i can say i have the best bit the guy next to you has better...there seems to be no end.

Vortex is a good choice but another 2-300 dollars i dont want to spend at this time..Falcon Menance another good choice but again another 1-150 bucks ....

Seriously, buy once, cry once. If you look at the used forum on here you can find some $500 scopes in your $300 range. Even if you buy new, what's an extra 1-200 bucks? It might put off your purchase for a month or two, but it will save you a lot of grief and heartache in the future.

Think of it this way.. Almost everything in shooting is an expendable item. Brass, bullets, even your rifle barrel will wear out and need to be replaced. Quality glass never wears out. Every time you shoot, and every rifle you put it on, you will have the same clear image, reliable tracking etc. It's a good investment if you think about it that way.

A cheap rifle with a quality glass beats a kickass rifle with a shitty scope that wont hold zero every day of the week.

I had a SWAT for 3 years on my .243WSSM AR (recently had the $$ to upgrade and got a screaming deal on an NXS) The SWAT tracked back and forth to 400-500m very well. BUT, I had serious trouble getting any consistency beyond that. I've got videos taking animals at 400m + and shooting sub 1/2 MOA groups at 400m, and I STILL WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ONE. The glass just isn't worth having. My dad has a POS BSA 3-12x50 on his .243 that is ridiculously better than my old SWAT was.

I'm not buying a SWAT...is no one reading my responses?

cry.gif

I plan on WOTAC from what I have read on here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1111863

I have 2 kids to feed so i putting together on a budget..
laugh.gif

I have other guns beside this one..soo if i enjoy shooting the gun but want some better glass I can transfer the scope to one of my others (which i believe all have Simmons)

"My plan....is to be able to shoot 500 + yards..this may take me awhile to accomplish but that is what I'm setting rifle up to do...after that..keep moving outwards."

Why will it take you awhile to shoot to 500yds? There no secret magical juice to make the bullet fly that far. Just dial and squeeze. Start practicing now becuase you're just wasting bullets shooting groups at 100. IMHO anyway.

finding a spot to do it I guess?

aquiring a target set up too.something besides a beer can..
...i can shoot 100yrds at my house...probably 300 when crops are out haha....

want to become comfortable doing so too....

make sense?

Go to the store and ask for left over cardboard. Get big pieces and put some shoot-n-sees on it.

Just go do it. It admit it's a little intimidating at first but once you do it you'll realize its not that mystical.

thanks
will do/try that....

i figured i'll be able to do it might be more scared that i'll like it too much...be like a good beer.

Take that buy once cry once shit to heart.. I learned the hard way two weeks ago I bought a Nikon.. It wasn't a bad peice of glass but using it as a tactical scope didn't work very well.. Long story short I sold the Nikon to a buddy of mine and bought a USO.

Just listen to these dudes they know what they are talking about. Also check in the used Optics section it's where I found my new baby.

Zack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take that buy once cry once shit to heart.. I learned the hard way two weeks ago I bought a Nikon.. It wasn't a bad peice of glass but using it as a tactical scope didn't work very well.. Long story short I sold the Nikon to a buddy of mine and bought a USO.

Just listen to these dudes they know what they are talking about. Also check in the used Optics section it's where I found my new baby.

Zack. </div></div>

Nikon to USO.. that's one hell of a jump!
smile.gif

I understand everyones despise of the Barska SWAT and Barska line of optics for that matter. However, I got suckered into buying one when I first got started shooting, and it actually surprised me how well it performed. Barska is hit or miss, (well probably 80% miss with maybe 20% hit) but mine was relatively clear and mechanics worked well. Does it compare to a quality scope manufacture such as Nightforce? Hell no, but it was good enough to keep a pretty solid zero at 100 yards. My best group with it was .378" at 100 yards, but I did eventually upgrade to a Leupold Mark 4 which completely blows it out of the water in terms of optical clarity and internal mechanics. If you can find one that has been proven to work properly and pay a cheap price so it won't set your savings for a quality scope back too much, then I would go for it. Would I risk on buying another from the manufacturer again? Hell no, but it was only temporary.

Vortex CS and warranty are maybe the best in the optics industry right now.
SWFA SS scopes have an excellent rep but the new HD models are very pricey.

For a low dollar, high quality scope take a look at the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam. It is 3-10x40 with Mildot reticle and .1 mil adjustments and it's on sale this month for 299.99 thru Midway. The product code is 598-484.

I remember the first time I shot to 500...what a day! perfect weather, sunny, almost no wind and very comfortable....I felt good.I went to the field I always go to near my home, and started to set out my targets like I always do at 100 yds.Then, I took a look around and thought...why not? So i walked it all the way out to the edge of the field, and walked back to my truck to get my matt, rifle, and gear ready.I lasered that lonely, small target sitting ALL the way out there by itself...500 yds...and it was small.I felt good.Got the rifle ready, prone, ammo ready, and peered thru my scope.It WAS small.I was nervous, and afraid.As I loaded the round and closed the bolt on my 308 I again checked the target, sighting, and adjustments. I was SO scared and shaking! Could I really do this? It just felt so wrong, like I wasn't prepared somehow.But, I did read about it.I FELT like I could....I just HAD to try it...hold...steady....let out all my breath...steady...squeeze....BOOOOM!
Nice little round hole in the target!
WOW!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!! And I wasn't afraid anymore !!!

I read this on the board in a few places and it is absolutly true. "Buy once Cry once" and be done. Do you need a $1800 Nightforce ... maybe not ... but get a good first scope that you can possibly sell to another newbe as you advance. What I can tell you is you only hit what you see ... and if you see it but it is not accuratly aligned with the barrel then what is the use. If it does not come back to zero so that you can recreate that exact shot then whats the use. If you cant see the target or it is unclear, then whats the use.

Again this is IMHO

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember the first time I shot to 500...what a day! perfect weather, sunny, almost no wind and very comfortable....I felt good.I went to the field I always go to near my home, and started to set out my targets like I always do at 100 yds.Then, I took a look around and thought...why not? So i walked it all the way out to the edge of the field, and walked back to my truck to get my matt, rifle, and gear ready.I lasered that lonely, small target sitting ALL the way out there by itself...500 yds...and it was small.I felt good.Got the rifle ready, prone, ammo ready, and peered thru my scope.It WAS small.I was nervous, and afraid.As I loaded the round and closed the bolt on my 308 I again checked the target, sighting, and adjustments. I was SO scared and shaking! Could I really do this? It just felt so wrong, like I wasn't prepared somehow.But, I did read about it.I FELT like I could....I just HAD to try it...hold...steady....let out all my breath...steady...squeeze....BOOOOM!
WOW!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!! And I wasn't afraid anymore !!! </div></div>

AWESOME>.....well have to get a few targets made up....to get rev'd up.

Hold out until you can afford a decent piece of glass. Went the cheap route with a BSA one time. Worked great on my hunting rifle (don't shoot it too much). Put it on another gun and it didn't last 50 rounds.

Get you about $500 or so together, and check out the stuff for sale on here (used). I picked up a fairly decent piece of glass from a member on here (used Xotic) and it has held up to everything I have thrown at it.

Also look into the Ziess Conquest lineup, very good glass for the price you pay.

IOR 3.5-18x50 gen4??? maybe gen5? whatever the latest generation is.... much better glass than NF, its FFP, MIL/MIL with a kickass reticle, and this particular one has had no issues that I'm aware of.. if you can't unass the cash, go with a Vortex Viper PST..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember the first time I shot to 500...what a day! perfect weather, sunny, almost no wind and very comfortable....I felt good.I went to the field I always go to near my home, and started to set out my targets like I always do at 100 yds.Then, I took a look around and thought...why not? So i walked it all the way out to the edge of the field, and walked back to my truck to get my matt, rifle, and gear ready.I lasered that lonely, small target sitting ALL the way out there by itself...500 yds...and it was small.I felt good.Got the rifle ready, prone, ammo ready, and peered thru my scope.It WAS small.I was nervous, and afraid.As I loaded the round and closed the bolt on my 308 I again checked the target, sighting, and adjustments. I was SO scared and shaking! Could I really do this? It just felt so wrong, like I wasn't prepared somehow.But, I did read about it.I FELT like I could....I just HAD to try it...hold...steady....let out all my breath...steady...squeeze....BOOOOM!
WOW!!!!! I DID IT !!!!!! And I wasn't afraid anymore !!! </div></div>
This is why you don't drink and type. It leads to online ramblings about "back in the day".

Might look into Hawke Sport optics. I have several of their scopes and they hold up extremely well and have features that rival scopes that cost a lot more. glass is on par with my nikon monarch. They also have ballistic software that is matched to the reticles so you can get out to 600 yards without dialing dope or having a 400 yard zero

the UPS man dropped by today and dropped off my WOTAC 4x15x50 scope, base and rings....

No barska for this 700 .308...WOTAC and I believe I will be pleased as long as it all works well.

I did put a Barsak 4x16x50 Varmint scope on another 700 I recently picked up in .223 varmint ...i am one that won't knock a product with out trying it out..

My firts 700 sports a 3x9x40 Simmons...first new Gun I ever bought...sighted in for 100 yrds and does the job...

thanks again for the wonderful and colorful feedback....

Waiting to get the 223 & 308 for a few paper shots to get scopes set up.

those counting that is 3 = Rem 700s I have....pics to come