• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes barska's.....

hershey

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2007
northern ohio
ok guy's i know this will turn into a bash session, but i am sure some of you have looked through them, probably even used them.

next your gonna say, go w/ falcon, super sniper, or ??? for just a few bucks more.

plain and simple, i have an assortment of scopes, bushnell, simmons, tasco, super sniper. they all have sticker prices allot higher than comparable barska's($60 will get you a copy of a 6.5x20x50 leopold), and i find that the barska's are brighter and clearer. now, i am a savage and taurus guy, not a kimber and sako guy, i have dismounted pricier scopes in preference to the barska's.

as my shooting skills increase, i have started to realize the benefit of the need to reload, and the advantages of the aftermarket barrels, but have not been able to save up enough green to go mark IV or better, i am sure like everything else on my learning curve that i have allot more to learn about scopes.

plain and simple, has anyone had <span style="font-weight: bold">FIRST</span> hand experiences good or bad w/ the barska and be willing to share them.

Re: barska's.....

i had one i bought to throw on my rifle specifically so i could shoot my rifle while i was still in search of a more permanent scope for it. i had no complaints with it whatsoever, but i only used it of a 100y zero and just shooting around, so nothing serious. i bought a NF NXS 3.5-15x50 to put on when i get back, and i think the barska will just sit around until i get a new rifle that needs a scope. i cant really tell you how it compares to anything else because before that, all i have ever used is acogs, so i didnt have to worry about wind and range adjustments. so take my advice for the small bit that its worth. ok for the cash.

DSCN0032.jpg

Put an 4-16 FFP Barska on this 10/22 and it's about all their good for.
Turrets dont match retcle, doesn't focus well past 200m.
Dispatching Wistle pigs it does fine for.

I had one and got rid of it in short order. The turrets were mushy and nonrepeatable. The internals all and all were terrible. The glass wasn't that bad especially considering the price. There is no way I would ever buy one again.

hershy
+1 on the way you started your post.The way you worded it might save the bashing.
As far as barskas go this post has been covered many times.
I have never owned one myself but a few of my friends have.They are not a good scope,second hand info from the people i know is they do not track well or hold zero.But if its what you got,then by all means use it.Work on your tecnigues,shooting skills,ranging,reading the wind,etc.etc.SAVE YOUR MONEY for something better.Remember the best gear in the world will not make you a better shooter,only your patience,practice,and sending lead downrange will.So to sum it all up if i had a baraka would i use it.Hell yeah i would i would shoot with it untill the turrets fell off.
just my.02

i am not making any claims that these things belong on bench guns or any gun where you are trying to dial elevation or windage and all that, most of us are not doing that, we are rarely going past 300yds, and generally dial a zero, and hold over if need be. my reasearch is that close to 80% of the scopes on the market don't hold a zero when using variable zooms up and down and especially when dialing elevation and windage. my question is along the lines of has anyone had flat out failures or inability to get the scope to function.

i have one mounted on a stevens action/shilen prefit 22-250 barrel, i spent an afternoon w/ the polishing stones on the trigger, then a day working up a load, and i now have a 1/4 moa rifle for under a $500 total investment, it is topped w/ the barska mentioned above and it is shooting consistant 1/4 inch for me and i feel i got a real bang for my buck and the glass is clearer than the bushnell banner i mounted on it at one time and when i went searching the closet for other scopes for the rifle, i shuffled through 5 or 6 scopes i had kicking around and found this one to be the brightest and clearest, it is also the one w/ the lowest msrp.

now my first sincere attempt to go past 500yds is getting topped w/ a super sniper, which when i did my research was the best bang for your buck that i found. the rest of the rifle is 300rum w/ a 28" shilen tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hershy
So to sum it all up if i had a baraka would i use it.Hell yeah i would i would shoot with it untill the turrets fell off.
just my.02 </div></div>

that prolly wont take long

If you really want to try one, then buy one.

Worst thing is you are out $60. If you dont like it, toss it in the trash and get yourself something else. Not like it is a $1000 error.

A buddy had one a few years back on his Savage .223. Invited him out to the g/f's farm to shoot some mid range targets. 400yds-550yds.

You couldn't even make out the steel gongs I had out there with the POS w/the mirage.

It was one of the SWAT Barska's. Total waste of money...

I would take iron sights over a shitty optic any day