• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bartlein 223 barrel

themayor

Minuteman
Jan 27, 2005
central Pa
looking to get a bartlein barrel for a 223 build to shoot 77grain bullets would a 1in 7.5 twist be good

i was looking at the bartlein .224 5r 1-7.5 twist no 12 heavy palma but wanted to make sure the 1 in 7.5 would be a good choice for the 77grain bullets [h=1][/h]

i was looking at the bartlein .224 5r 1-7.5 twist no 12 heavy palma but wanted to make sure the 1 in 7.5 would be a good choice for the 77grain bullets

Yes it would. An 8 twist will stabilize the 77's well so 7.5 will have no problem. Only issues you may run into is going heavier 80-82 grain. They may or may not stabilize it depend on barrel length and velocity but if you know you will strictly run the 77's a 7.5-8 will do fine.

Here is a heavy Palma in 4 groove 1-7 twist. http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=...product_id=528

Are you stuck on 5r for a .22 cal? Most manufacturers won't make anything in 5r under 6mm due to thin/short jacketed projectiles. In the past, 4 grooves have always performed better with the 22 cals. That being said, if Bartlein is making them I'm sure they know something I don't. PM Frank Green he's super nice and will answer all your questions.

** I know you may want a Bart but look up Mueller Works. Dan probably makes the best .22 cal barrels available. Just look up some stuff on him and his 22 barrels specifically.

Last edited:
For years we shot 80gr SMKs out of 20" 1:8 twist ARs at 600 yards. The 7.5 twist will be fine and you should be able to shoot the Berger 80.5 bullets with the right freebore. If you want to try the 90s, you'll probably have to step up to a 6.5 twist, which will probably limit the use of lighter bullets. Your might get lucky with heavier than 80s in a 7.5 twist but it's going to depend on your MV and DA.

Last edited:
I have a Bartlein 223 barrel in 7.7 twist and it's the most accurate barrel I have ever had in any rifle. I have shot groups in the .1s at 100 yds with several different bullets from 55gr to 77gr. I haven't tried anything heavier, but no reason to doubt it would shoot those equally well.

Last edited:
I'm using a Bartlein 7.7 twist in my XTC ar, shooting 77's at 200 and 300, 80's at 600 and it's great. I would definitely look for another when this one is done. I think you'll be real happy with one.

Have shot a lot of 90gr. Berger's out of 7 twist Bartlein in .223 F-class rifle with 28" barrel, shot same load out of a new RPR and they shot great out to 800yd.

I've been running a Bartlein 4 groove 27" 8 twist bbl, 2833 fps @ 994' ASL with 80gr smk's with excellent results.
One of my friends is running the 5R 8 twist 28" bartlein with 80gr smk's with excellent results, no chrono data on his yet

I talked to bartlein today n they said the 7.5 twist would be good n the 5r is also a good choice with out any jacket problems

I have two Bartlein barrels on two different rifles and both are 1:8 twist. I shoot 77 Sierra's out of them all the time. Those rifles are the most fun to shoot as when shooting suppressed it feels just above a pellet rifle. But, man are they accurate. I feel really confident to 600 yards and starts to drop off in my confidence levels as I move to a 900 yards as it is heavily dependent on the wind.