• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein barrels

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hello, I'm considering putting a 22" Bartlein stainless 5R barrel / 1:11.25 twist on my 700P. I see these are what comes on the Gap Custom Rifles. Just looking for some reviews of these before I make up my mind. I'm not exactly sure on what contour would suit me best. Probably varmint contour since I have HS stock on it. I would like an M24 contour but that would require opening up barrel channel on stock. Any suggestions?

Also open to other suggestions of a better barrel
smile.gif

Thanks

Re: Bartlein barrels

Bartlein is one of the best barrels manufactured in todays market. I'd order one without reservation, you'll love it. Frank Green here on the hide is one of the owners, they're GTG.

OK, I'm gonna go with the M24 contour barrel. What length would be preferred for 308 win.? Also, how long is the wait time once ordered?

Thanks

Definitely go the M24 contour. Ballistically speaking you are fine w/ the 22. I prefer 24 from the recoil lug w/out suppressor. Easier follow up and not as loud. W/ a can you could go to 20 w/ no loss; perhaps even shorter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Definitely go the M24 contour. Ballistically speaking you are fine w/ the 22. I prefer 24 from the recoil lug w/out suppressor. Easier follow up and not as loud. W/ a can you could go to 20 w/ no loss; perhaps even shorter. </div></div>

I wont be installing a can on this rifle, so maybe it would be wise to go a little longer with the length. I like the 26" currently on it, just thought i remembered reading on here a little shorter length might help with accuracy in 308 win.

Thanks

Alan

22 is the trend right now! Theoretically makes for a stiffer barrel; the shorter you go. They say you don't gain anything after approx 19-20 inches on a 308. Pretty loud for me. But other people have different tastes. 24 from the lug is long as I would go.

22" is an excellent length for a .308 barrerl. I cut mine back when i got my can and I'm still getting 2700fps with a 178 AMAX without a problem. No need for longer. I would go with their #7 MTU profile.

I like 22" it handles well I also dont think I will go m24 or like taper anymore I will stick more with the rem varmit or similar contour.The truck axle barrel has lost it's appeal to me but thats just prefference.

There is some truth in that; as all AI's and Sako's and the new "Valkyrie" have thinner barrels!

24 from the lug is darn close to 26 inches overall. And, yes, it does make a difference on the noise level. And on the apparent recoil. You get less muzzle lift with the weight out in front so you have less tendency to flinch as the scope recoils toward your eye. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like an M24 contour but that would require opening up barrel channel on stock. Any suggestions?
</div></div>

Sounds like the perfect excuse to upgrade the stock while you're at it!

Welcome to custom rifles
laugh.gif

I had GAP install a 26" Bartlein 1-11.25 5R on my FN A3.
4800 rds. later I sent it back for a set-back, and to have the overall
length cut back to 22". Since then I have shot my best, a 1.7" 5 shot group at 600 yds. And a 5.5" at 800 yds. I am hoping to get another 3-4 thousand rds. before I need a new tube. And that will be a Bartlein too.

As all have said you can't go wrong with that barrel. I like a 24" because of the less blast as above mentioned posts. You can always cut it back. The #7 MTU is a great profile. Velocity seems to be faster than most other brands. The accuracy is second to none. Good Luck.

Wow! Lots of replies already. I'm gonna go ahead and order the #7MTU profile probably 22", and see how that does. I will probably keep the HS stock on for now and just inlet it some. I plan to eventually upgrade the stock.

This custom rifle thing can get expensive quick haha
smile.gif

Thanks guys

Alan

I'm probably gonna send the rifle to Robert from RWS gunsmithing and have him install barrel,true action, inlet my stock, and possibly bed the rifle too. It seems his reviews are great on this site, anyone else have something he has done for them?

IMHO, Bartlein Barrels are probably the best barrels out there right now from the information I have been reading. Krieger is another sure winner, however, I am going to go with Bartlein from now on. There customer service was excellent. Frank was a pleasure to work with. A Bartlein Barrel is a sure winner!

800 yards and in a 22 will do if you ever want to get to 1000 26 is a minimum. Bartlein makes a nice barrel. Breaking in a 1/8 6mm 5R never did foul and I won the first match I shot with that tube.
Go with a 1/12 unless you want to shoot 190's and up.........

This is supposed to be the Shizzle.

I got a Kreiger 22 inch #7/MTU contour. I'd stay the same or go Bartlein next time, in all respects, length, contour, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: criver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">800 yards and in a 22 will do if you ever want to get to 1000 26 is a minimum. Bartlein makes a nice barrel. Breaking in a 1/8 6mm 5R never did foul and I won the first match I shot with that tube.
Go with a 1/12 unless you want to shoot 190's and up......... </div></div>

This is not accurate 22" will go to 1k no sweat.I would also stick with an 11.25 with 155 scenars it's a no brainer.

I'm a huge Bartlein fan and you don't have to go LONG or Thick to get them to work beyond most people's expectations.

if you note my numbers for the 18" Bartlein on my GAP Gladius you will see they perform the same as barrels 6 to 8 inches longer.

Gladius Range Report

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We continued in that fashion throughout the morning and here are the following numbers used with the 18" Gladius in the above conditions.

385 yards, used 2.1 Mils of elevation - Cor Bon 175gr VLD
430 yards used 2.4 mils of elevation - Cor Bon 175gr VLD
500 yards used 2.8 mils of elevation - 170gr HPS
625 yards used 4.6 mils of elevation - Cor Bon 175gr VLD
667 yards used 4.6 mils of elevation - 170gr HPS
708 yards used 5.3 mils of elevation - 170gr HPS
812 yards used 6.5 mils of elevation - 170gr HPS
910 yards used 8 mils of elevation - 170gr HPS
915 yards used 8.1 mils of elevation - 170gr HPS

I also don't have written down, but engaging the 915 yards target with the Cor Bon took 8.7 mils of elevation.

All but one target was either a first or second round hit with the majority being a first round hit, only the last 915 yard target required me to use 3 rounds to hit due to a wind direction change with a little operator error thrown in.

Goes to show the success to be had with a shorter barrel. lastly we have some pictures, but I will not be able to upload them until Monday, so standby for those.</div></div>

Opening on the rifle
Gladius Intro

Here are the velocities with various match 308...
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ran the numbers with 3 loads, Black Hills 175gr Match, Cor Bon 175gr VLDs, and Lapua 170gr HPS.

To start, I shot almost everything through my Chronograph... and tape reads:

Black Hills 175gr Average Velocity = 2649.1 for one box, and 2663fps for another...

Cor Bon 175gr VLDs = Average 2622fps for one box, 2605fps for another...

Lapua 170gr HPS = 2858fps for one box ,2850fps for another...

In terms of accuracy, Cor Bon was the most accurate of the group, shooting some nice groups as I broke the rifle in, followed by the Black Hills, with the rifle not really liking the 170gr stuff that well, although a 10 shot group was still a .75 which is fine by me....

The Cor Bon was sub .5 MOA the Black Hills was right around .5MOA -.6MOA which is also very good.

Out to 500 yards, it used the same dope I would use with any other rifle I shoot the ammo out there was no difference.... 1.5 mil to 300 yards and 3.5 Mil put me dead on steel at 500. The next trip after i get some more rounds through her, I will put paper out and gather some official dope.

Conditions, windy, gusting from 5'o clock was about 12 -15MPH, no wind hold to hit steel at 500 yards with the Lapua. Temperature was 66 degrees and altitude was 5300 ft...

The Surefire brake kicks ass, the rifle absolutely does not move and I can spot my rounds impacting on paper at 100 yards... </div></div>

Gladius7.jpg

I was going to do the same thing that you are thinking of doing and having a smith customize my Rem 700PSS. Then I sat down and did the math. It was actually only a few hundred dollars more for me to sell the rifle and have one built from the ground up! Even if you wanted to keep the stock, you could still sell the barreled action itself.

Just something to think about
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alan98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! Lots of replies already. I'm gonna go ahead and order the #7MTU profile probably 22", and see how that does. I will probably keep the HS stock on for now and just inlet it some. I plan to eventually upgrade the stock.

This custom rifle thing can get expensive quick haha
smile.gif

Thanks guys

Alan

I'm probably gonna send the rifle to Robert from RWS gunsmithing and have him install barrel,true action, inlet my stock, and possibly bed the rifle too. It seems his reviews are great on this site, anyone else have something he has done for them? </div></div>

155 scenars will shoot out of a 1/13, 1/12 will get you velocity easier than a 11.25. My buddies 20 inch AR-15 will "get to 1000" but thats about all it does

You can't compare a 20" AR15 with a 22" .308. My .308 shooting the 178s at 2700fps will make 1000 without a problem and make nice round accurate holes. I've actually shot it to 1300 yards before.

Rob
You have entered the competitive arena and from what little I've seen on the Hide you more than hold your own.
I shoot NRA LR/Palma and IBS 600 and 1000 yard benchrest.
My viewpoint is from a bunch of new guys with tactical rifles showing up at our Monday evening league with 20/22/24 inch barrels and whatever variety of factory ammunition and half never hit the target one time. Always with factory ammo you will have some subsonic rounds tumbling through the target. Love the NEW guys love shooting..... you have to be a fairly sophisticated shooter/reloader to have any success at 1000 yards or beyond with a 308. I looked at this thread as a new guy approaching his first build/rebarrel and gave what I still consider good advice. Its worth what it cost him...........
Open invitation to anybody on the Hide if your in East Tennessee on a Monday evening and need something to do..........

Criver, if those new guys are shooting 168s, as new guys usually do, then yeah I can see them dropping off. We watched it from the pits at the Nor Cal Match a couple of weeks ago. A guy with a 20" barrel shooting 168s started to go sideways at 800. 900 looked worse and at 1000 the rounds weren't even hitting the 6" backer. It's all about bullet selection. With a good custom 20-22" tube and some 175/178s at atleast 2600fps, which is easy to get, you won't have problems at 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a huge Bartlein fan and you don't have to go LONG or Thick to get them to work beyond most people's </div></div>

+1. I have a few GA guns that have Bartlein barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all about bullet selection. With a good custom 20-22" tube and some 175/178s at atleast 2600fps, which is easy to get, you won't have problems at 1000.
</div></div>

I agree with this also. Using 168 grain bullets not going over 2600 in 20 or 22 inch barrels to shoot out to 1000 yards is not a good idea.

My 22" crusader will get to 1200yds, with 155 scenars a little over 2900 fps. They will go faster just slowed it down. Also, the barrel is 11.25.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFC Carpentier jr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's all about bullet selection. With a good custom 20-22" tube and some 175/178s at atleast 2600fps, which is easy to get, you won't have problems at 1000.
</div></div>
I agree with this also. Using 168 grain bullets not going over 2600 in 20 or 22 inch barrels to shoot out to 1000 yards is not a good idea.
</div></div>

How about an illustration for the reading impared.

This picture is courtesy of E.Shell.

1150yd168s.jpg

Well I'm gonna get this thing ordered and hopefully it wont take tooo long to arrive. One last question..What can i use to finish the barrel with that will look similar to the rem parkerized finish??

Thanks

Alan

Rob
You have entered the competitive arena and from what little I've seen on the Hide you more than hold your own.
I shoot NRA LR/Palma and IBS 600 and 1000 yard benchrest.
My viewpoint is from a bunch of new guys with tactical rifles showing up at our Monday evening league with 20/22/24 inch barrels and whatever variety of factory ammunition and half never hit the target one time. Always with factory ammo you will have some subsonic rounds tumbling through the target. Love the NEW guys love shooting..... you have to be a fairly sophisticated shooter/reloader to have any success at 1000 yards or beyond with a 308. I looked at this thread as a new guy approaching his first build/rebarrel and gave what I still consider good advice. Its worth what it cost him...........
Open invitation to anybody on the Hide if your in East Tennessee on a Monday evening and need something to do..........

agree with new guys going from 1oo to 1000 is a whole new game altogether. Get a kick out of guys posting .5" groups 2" off center at 100 and bragging about that rifle shooting at 1000. Talked to bartlein today about rebarreling my sako L461 in .223 and still got nothing solid as to why progressive rifle twist is so good? Also have a 700 pss .308 I got used 10 years ago that rec was made 1982 barrel 1984 with 5 lands 26". Bolt appears to have been trued lugs lapped and shoots blackhills 168gr .5" at 100 the first time out last week. Going to check headspace as soon as my go and no gos come from brownnells. Betting it has a match chamber too. Did this gun come from the rem custom shop and is it worth more than the average 700p? Emailed Rem three weeks ago and no reply yet??? Is this a m24 clone or did they do this to all 700pss? I trust bench shooters advice more than wanna be snipers

22" GAP CRUSADER WITH 44.5 varget lapua brass and a fgm210m at 2.815 coal. 1:11.25 bartlein.

110 yards

null_zps1f6def5e.jpg

Same gun. 208 amax at 500 yards.

5113F47B-E132-46B2-A8A8-09347D92D763-267-0000002CA3771CBD_zps6f0be5a9.jpg

Mtu contour is the way to go.. As you can see , a 1:11.25 will shoot the heck out of them.

155 scenars will shoot out of a 1/13, 1/12 will get you velocity easier than a 11.25. My buddies 20 inch AR-15 will "get to 1000" but thats about all it does

???? I haven't seen a difference for the most part.

You guys also leave out what chamber reamer spec. was used in chambering the barrel. Different reamers can cause different pressures and velocities.

I also won't even get into different bore and groove specs. from one barrel to the next.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

After reading through this necro post I'm starting to think that I can be much more aggressive in my loads.

i run a bartlein rem varmint 26" barrel setup by GAP with 175smk to 2650fps. Frank is getting that out of an 18" wow.

Wow this thread brings back memories of my first build. I did go with the Bartlein on that original rifle and have since had a GAP 308 and 338 Lapua both with Bartlein barrels. I'll never use anything but Bartlein! I have much success with them. I have since sent out my 308 to GAP and its getting a rebarrel into the new 6.5 SAUM. Can't wait!

Alan