• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein, Brux, or RockCreek? Cut rifled choice?

Re: Bartlein, Brux, or RockCreek? Cut rifled choice?

All three are top tier. You won't be disappointed with any of them. IMHO they are all tied.

My Brux was awesome and my new rock creek is just as awesome.

Bartlein's are used by some of the best smiths exclusively.

Pick whichever you can get first.

I have one Brux and two Rock Creek barrels chambered and mounted on my rifles; I have found that they all shoot great. I also have a Brux blank waiting for the action, an a Rock Creek blank to rebarrel my F-Open gun when the time comes.

Your main consideration should be availability. Check out bugholes.com, Bruno's, Sinclair, and Grizzly (the lathe/tool people) for cut rifled barrels in stock ready to ship. If you want to order direct, Brux delivered before the promised date (8 weeks), my Rock Creek barrels/blanks all took 6-8 months, I'm guessing Bartlein and Krieger are the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nhm16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your main consideration should be availability.</div></div>

This

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All three are top tier. You won't be disappointed with any of them. IMHO they are all tied.

My Brux was awesome and my new rock creek is just as awesome.

Bartlein's are used by some of the best smiths exclusively.

Pick whichever you can get first.</div></div>

This ^

I have two Rocks and one Bartlein but you simply cannot go wrong with any of those choices. If I were in your shoes, wait time would probably be the deciding factor.

Although I would add Krieger to that list, I'd say take your pick. When you get to that caliber of product, it's a matter of personal preference.

Bartlein for me. Had a few on my .308, and use them on my 6.5, .243 and 300WM. Never let me down.

I've had them all, Bartlein's have been my last 3, very happy with them. If Bartlein wasn't available I wouldn't hesitate to use the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264Charlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlein </div></div>

+1

Which ever one has the shortest lead times. All great barrels

I have had or currently have the three you have listed, as well as Krieger. I have also had or have a number of button rifled barrels from various manufacturers. That being said, I'm not convinced that rifle cut is better than button. All of the top name barrels I have had in button and rifle cut shoot great, clean easy, and wear well. These days I think you are pretty safe buying what's available from any of the top barrel manufacturers. But obviously, Rock, Bartlein, Brux, Krieger, and Obermeyer, would all be great choices.

Tman - curious on your button bbl choices.

No doubt folks, Krieger always seemed to perform.

We were in Wisconsin visiting Rock Creek two weeks ago, and after seeing their operation and how they are making both cut rifled and button rifled, I wouldn't hesitate to use their button barrels for sure!

Mike

The barrels at this level are all super-premium. You will find more voodoo variables than anything else. Who knows why 2 barrels cut from the same bar will have different characteristics, even when dimensions are the same. Uniformity is key, dimensions, while important, are somewhat secondary I believe. A .299 30 cal will shoot just as good as a .300 30 cal, but there will be loading variables to get each to shoot in there element. Steel quality (among other varibles)can make the difference at this level<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which ever one has the shortest lead times. All great barrels</div></div>

Bartlein or Krieger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although I would add Krieger to that list, I'd say take your pick. When you get to that caliber of product, it's a matter of personal preference. </div></div>

Yep, add Krieger to the list and take your pick.
Krieger is my pick, but my experience with Bartlein, Rock, and Brux says flip a coin and buy the one that you can get in the time frame that you need it.

I liked my last Rock, I like this Rock, and I'll probably like the next one too. I've had above excellent service from them.

1911fan

Now to make some more questions come up
. I ordered my 1st custom barrel today. I went with Broughton. That was the brand my gunsmith recomended. I went with the Sendero counter because I just got a new MCS-T5A stock and that is what is sized for, and it is a little lighter than the next choice was. it is 24", 1:8 twist, 5C rifling, 416 SS. Button pulled., now just 3 more months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bugholes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrels at this level are all super-premium. You will find more voodoo variables than anything else. Who knows why 2 barrels cut from the same bar will have different characteristics, even when dimensions are the same. Uniformity is key, dimensions, while important, are somewhat secondary I believe. A .299 30 cal will shoot just as good as a .300 30 cal, but there will be loading variables to get each to shoot in there element. Steel quality (among other varibles)can make the difference at this level<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which ever one has the shortest lead times. All great barrels</div></div> </div></div>

My Rock and Brux barrels have come (chambered and installed) from bugholes.
He knows barrels, and he is a first-class gunsmith too.

Other then Remington's factory barrel, the only other barrel I have shot is my current Krieger in 6.5 CM. Even with a stock R700 action, it shoots tiny groups. Others that have shot it all have the same comment, a big smile.

I have burned up five Rock Creek barrels, currently have two on a rifle and have three more in route! I believe I will stick with them, best barrels I have ever used! Plus Mike and Paul are great people to work with.

Thanks all for great response.

I have Rock, I have Kreiger, I have a Saturn sitting in the tube to be chambered. All, ALL, great barrels. BUT.... the "go to guns" have Bartlein iron on them.

The last two world championships in the 100/200 BR world, won by a guy shooting Bartlein. In a game where .010" wins and loses, seems like a pattern.

Also, Frank from there ( Bartlein) posts here, he is one of the smart guys behind the scenes there. I have noticed he never has a negative thing to say, and is always helpful to anyone, regardless of the tube they have. I can respect that.

I have had a number of aftermarket button barrels. At this time I own a Lothar Walther, 2 Pac-Nor, Wilson, Shillen, and am getting a Broughton. I also recently sold a rifle with a Benchmark. Obviously, my opinions here are just that "opinions", and are entirely subjective, so take them as you will.

The Benchmark was probably the best barrel I have ever owned. It may have simply been that it was chambered by someone who really knew what he was doing, but it cleaned really easy, would shoot with sub moa accuracy any ammo, and was an excellent value. The rifle it was on was chambered in .260 Rem and it was more accurate than my GAP built .260 rifle with a Bartlein.

I have a Wilson SS 16" barrel on my AR rifle and it's every bit as accurate as my 18" SPR Kreiger AR rifle. They are both very accurate rifles, but the Wilson was about $250.00 chambered, and the Kreiger was about $425.00 chambered. That's a hell of a difference in money for no appreciable gain in accuracy or longevity.

My Lothar Walther barrel is also outstandingly accurate and was a bargain at a little over $300.00 chambered. It's as good or better than my Rock Creek barrel of the same caliber and length.

The Pac-Nor barrels are yet to be proven, they are 22LR and 17HMR, and I really have not had the time to find a brand of ammo they shine with. However, I did have the opportunity to run some 22LR Lapua Club, Wolf Match, and Remington Eley through them at a 100 yard indoor range and the rifle shot very well with all three, so I would say Pac-Nor is making a quality barrel as well. By the way, I paid $180.00 for my 22LR Pac-Nor!

The Shillen I have was a mistake, I ordered a Lothar Walther from my smith to go on a 25-06 Antelope rifle. He screwed up and ordered a Shillen Hand Select SS instead. Well, the only real mistake in this deal was thinking Shillen didn't make a quality barrel. The rifle is a hammer (easily a 1/2 moa gun) with hunting bullets. I think the Shillen was a bit more expensive than the LW barrel I specified for the build, but I'm very satisfied with it.

It seems there is a lot of emphasis here on the Hide to build rifles with the very best, and most expensive components. I'm not saying this is misdirected funds, if you got fat stacks to burn by all means get what you want. However, I think you can get top button barrels for 25% to 30% less money than cut rifle barrels, and you can put that leftover money towards a good shooting school or ammo. I also doubt you will see much or any difference in your groups. I could make the same argument about scopes, stocks, and all kinds of other gear. I'm pretty sure that I could go shoot a match with the most expensive, souped up, state of the art rifle/scope/caliber combo you can think of, and I'm still going to place where I normally place at a match. My problem is not that I run a GAP built .260Rem, Manners, S&B, Rock Creek barreled hot rod rifle. My problem is that I don't spend enough time dry firing, practicing positional shooting, and sending rounds at my local range on a regular basis. I have shot matches using my .308 and my .260 rifles, each one has had barrels made by various makers. My scores are pretty consistent. It ain't the gun, it's the nut behind the trigger.

Reactions: Jnak

Nothing wrong with button barrels. I have had great luck with both. Hart, Broughton and Krieger. They have all been winners. I would start with specs then go from there.

CM or SS

Flutes. What Pattern. Hart has several options

grooves? 3,4,5,6? Standard vs. 5r. or canted?

Gain twist? Bartlein and Rock are pioneering this?

Contour? you wont get a sporter weight stainless Krieger.

Lead times?

The Top Major players button or cut all cost about the same 315-335.

Manufacturers in this field are all so competitive. If they wern't winning matches and setting records they wouldn't last long.

I prefer cut rifled barrels but have had button rifled barrels that shot every bit as well.

Not sure you can go wrong with any of the bigger names in custom barrels. I'd be more concerned with who chambers said barrel, then who makes the barrel provided from list you mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had a number of aftermarket button barrels. At this time I own a Lothar Walther, 2 Pac-Nor, Wilson, Shillen, and am getting a Broughton. I also recently sold a rifle with a Benchmark. Obviously, my opinions here are just that "opinions", and are entirely subjective, so take them as you will.

The Benchmark was probably the best barrel I have ever owned. It may have simply been that it was chambered by someone who really knew what he was doing, but it cleaned really easy, would shoot with sub moa accuracy any ammo, and was an excellent value. The rifle it was on was chambered in .260 Rem and it was more accurate than my GAP built .260 rifle with a Bartlein.

I have a Wilson SS 16" barrel on my AR rifle and it's every bit as accurate as my 18" SPR Kreiger AR rifle. They are both very accurate rifles, but the Wilson was about $250.00 chambered, and the Kreiger was about $425.00 chambered. That's a hell of a difference in money for no appreciable gain in accuracy or longevity.

My Lothar Walther barrel is also outstandingly accurate and was a bargain at a little over $300.00 chambered. It's as good or better than my Rock Creek barrel of the same caliber and length.

The Pac-Nor barrels are yet to be proven, they are 22LR and 17HMR, and I really have not had the time to find a brand of ammo they shine with. However, I did have the opportunity to run some 22LR Lapua Club, Wolf Match, and Remington Eley through them at a 100 yard indoor range and the rifle shot very well with all three, so I would say Pac-Nor is making a quality barrel as well. By the way, I paid $180.00 for my 22LR Pac-Nor!

The Shillen I have was a mistake, I ordered a Lothar Walther from my smith to go on a 25-06 Antelope rifle. He screwed up and ordered a Shillen Hand Select SS instead. Well, the only real mistake in this deal was thinking Shillen didn't make a quality barrel. The rifle is a hammer (easily a 1/2 moa gun) with hunting bullets. I think the Shillen was a bit more expensive than the LW barrel I specified for the build, but I'm very satisfied with it.

It seems there is a lot of emphasis here on the Hide to build rifles with the very best, and most expensive components. I'm not saying this is misdirected funds, if you got fat stacks to burn by all means get what you want. However, I think you can get top button barrels for 25% to 30% less money than cut rifle barrels, and you can put that leftover money towards a good shooting school or ammo. I also doubt you will see much or any difference in your groups. I could make the same argument about scopes, stocks, and all kinds of other gear. I'm pretty sure that I could go shoot a match with the most expensive, souped up, state of the art rifle/scope/caliber combo you can think of, and I'm still going to place where I normally place at a match. My problem is not that I run a GAP built .260Rem, Manners, S&B, Rock Creek barreled hot rod rifle. My problem is that I don't spend enough time dry firing, practicing positional shooting, and sending rounds at my local range on a regular basis. I have shot matches using my .308 and my .260 rifles, each one has had barrels made by various makers. My scores are pretty consistent. It ain't the gun, it's the nut behind the trigger.

</div></div>
This^

Its funny how Shillen hardly ever comes up here on the Hide.
I regretfully sold the most accurate Tactical rifle I had ever owned.
It had Shillen Match Grade Select Barrel on it.

I ordered a Rock 6.5 medium palma in November 2011 and I'm still waiting!

Their are lots of quality barrel makers out their producing top notch barrels. I think with the proper twist for the intended bullets to be used and a quality chamber job with a well put together rifle they all shoot well above what we can achieve. Time behind your rifle and lots of shooting in what comps you do i think will help you achieve the end result you are looking for.

I usually leave it up to my smith to decide. All of the premium barrels are gonna be shooters but many smiths have a preferred mfr they like to work with.

can you shoot better than 1/2 MOA or even 1/4MOA, all those barrels mentioned can do it with the proper action, trigger, scope and bases, bedding, the right gunsmith who won't mess the work and can you reload ammo to that level and do you want to??
Basically it takes a lot more than a good barrel to make an accurate rifle. buy the best you can afford and enjoy your self at the range.
cheers.