• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bartlein T-rifling Barrel

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
I'm getting to where I need a new barrel on a 243 of mine and want to try the T-rifling from Bartlein.

Is there anyone that has one of their barrel in 6mm with this rifling that can comment on how it shoots for you and what your twist rate is?

Re: Bartlein T-rifling Barrel

We don't need clock springs on Servo driven CNC rifling machines, Pratt & Whitneys might benefit from them though. Hehe.

We have had very good results with the "transitional" or gain-twist barrels. So far this has been mostly with short range Benchrest shooters, but some long range Bench, Palma, and F-Class shooters have started using them as well.

The twist you would need is based on the bullet you would like to shoot. As far as the amount of "gain", the best results we have seen so far, only a small amount is needed. Depending on barrel length .5 to 1.0 inch of increase is needed. For example, alot of short range Benchrest shooters like a barrel that starts at 14.25 and increases to 13.5 at the muzzle of a 24" barrel.

Taken from an earlier post on barrels

"NBRSA Nationals were last week 13 new National records where set. 3 new world records set.

All with Bartlein Barrels

Examples:

Tony Boyer new Unlimited class record 8 ten shot groups at 100 yards agg. = .189 (previous record was .2195)

Jack Neary LV record of 5 five shot groups at 100 yards = .1482

Tony Boyer won the 3 gun with a grand agg. of .199 this was for the Sporter class, LV class, HV class 100 and 200 yard combined. A total of 150 rounds being fired for these three classes if I have it correct. Yes a grand agg. of .199 for 150 rounds being fired at 100/200 yards.

Top 20 shooters were all using cut rifled barrels.
65% of the top 20 were shooting bartlein

Out of the top 80 shooters (20 from each class Sporter, LV, HV and Unlimited) Bartlein barrels accounted for 60%, Kriegers where 38% and Hart and Shilen had 1% each.

Most of those scores were shot with gain twist barrels.

Feel free to give me a call or P.M. if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Brian Birutas
Bartlein Barrels
262-649-1574

JR, When are you and Reed going to get off your butts and come up here?

Better hurry or you will have to get in line! You can take it a few different ways but you can figure it out!

Later, Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JR, When are you and Reed going to get off your butts and come up here?

Better hurry or you will have to get in line! You can take it a few different ways but you can figure it out!

Later, Frank </div></div>

Ha, I know, and it's going to be white up there again soon..I don't get much of a chance to sit, we've been keeping pretty busy. With Reed, you never know when or where he might send you, so I always keep a bag packed, just in case..

Later

JR

Thanks Brian, got an older 700 in 243 that has lots of rounds down the tube. The throat is pretty ragged and the groups aren't what they used to be so I was thinking about a barrel for a winter project.

Mostly we shoot 85gr bullets for coyotes and deer but have toyed with the idea of heavier ones for a little better performance in the wind.

Probably just go with a heavy sporter contour in 22".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We don't need clock springs on Servo driven CNC rifling machines, Pratt & Whitneys might benefit from them though. Hehe.

</div></div>

Ha, yeah, when you're on the pratt and hear the 'click, click, click' and you're like 'what the hell is thatooooooooohhh..Oh yeah..Dammit.' One particular Pratt I ran we modified the leader bar nut to take brass inserts rather than using the original lead casted nut. I was rifling a 308 6 groove barrel, heard this clicking noise..WTF is that..Looked at the rifler, and the tool spindle wasn't spinning uniformly, was kind of epileptic lookin. I was like phwoar, ya bastad, but surprised as hell because the rifling head wasn't in a curly Q knot. Stopped the machine, had a look, sure enough the brass inserts had sheared or worn out, and the clockspring snapped as well. So I pulled the tool, and eyeballed the barrel. It had cut half the depth, grooves were at .304 when the incident occured, but what it did was cut straight grooves THRU the lands..I had perfect dash line helical lands..Always wondered how that might have shot if I'd had .304 diameter bullets. haha..The hook was fine, didn't even so much as sharpen it for the next barrel. Had some funky looking chips in the chip box mind. Servo, ball screw, blah blah, you're missing all the fun of mechanical mayhem!! haha..

JR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Brian, got an older 700 in 243 that has lots of rounds down the tube. The throat is pretty ragged and the groups aren't what they used to be so I was thinking about a barrel for a winter project </div></div>

Do you mean this winter or next?

Brian can give you a more accurate response, but if you are looking for a Bartlein barrel for a winter project you had better be calling. See all those records their barrels are setting? That means long lead times for you and I. Their website as of this morning says as long as 8 months to one year.

I hear you...timings not a big deal to me. I was hoping to get some comments from guys that had used them otherwise I'll likely go with standard rifling and there are plenty of good barrel makers with reasonable lead times.