• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Base for 600 meters shooting

GSIceland

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
Iceland
My order for a Savage LRP in 260 Rem has finally been confirmed by the Savage dealer here in Iceland. Now the long wait begins. I have already bought a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 Mrad for the rifle. I am thinking about ordering an EGW HD base (will have to order that from USA - EGW is not sold in Iceland). My gun club has a 600 m range and realistically I don't think that I'll shoot much further than that.

So my question to you all is this: Do I need a 20 moa base? And if someone has a similar setup and can give me a 100% guaranteed answer (returning is out of the picture) what rings will fit this setup (Seekins, Nightforce, IOR, Burris XTR or other similar). I can get IOR and Nightforce here in Iceland but they cost about 25000 Icelandic kronas - or about 200USD!

Re: Base for 600 meters shooting

I doubt you'll NEED a canted base, but it never hurts. I'm not sure what drop a 260 has at 600 but my understanding is it is less than a 308. I shoot a mild (2550fps) 308 load and the 32.5 MOA of travel (up+down) will take me to just over 800yds according to my calculator. <span style="font-weight: bold">But I'd wait to hear from a dedicated 260 shooter for that extra peace of mind.</span>

Any 30mm rings will FIT the scope, it is just a matter of what level of quality do you want? I just put in an order with Liberty Optics for a set of 30mm IOR rings for my Nightforce. I would've preferred Seekins but they were out.

Yes I know that Scott will take care of me (always has). I was actually thinking about the height.

Thanks halcyon575 - this seems to solve my problem. If I wait for the rifle and scope - the wait for the rings could be weeks. Don't think I'll handle that when I have the rifle in hand.

Have a shooting buddy that has a .260 .
With a Leupold Vari x 3 8.5 x 25 he was on all day long with dial up on his scope at 1015 yards and factory rings on a ruger rifle.

The answer to your question on the rails lies with the particular ammo you are planning on shooting. So you take the brand and you go see if their website has ballistics for said ammo. Then you can see if that ammo is going to drop beyond the realm of mils the scope has elevation correction for. If its beyond, which I doubt it will be, then yes and if not then no. If you're handloading then you'll need to know the muzzle velocity, altitude, air pressure, etc and calculate it, which really is the only true way, but the other will give you a good idea.

As far as the rings go, well I'm running a set of xtr low rings with a 4-16x50 PST and the magnification ring just barely clears enough to turn and not cause any problems. I am running a leupold 15moa base on my 700. I would Think the best thing to do would be to order the base and rings at the same time, so you have everything and don't have to pay shipping on 2 separate items.

Thanks. I'm going to reload. Beginning with Lapua Scenar 123 g, Lapua brass and probaly going to try Vihtavuori N-160 to begin with.

It never hurts to gain a little extra travel. I would suggest getting the 20MOA base just for the extra useable travel if you ever did get a chance to really stretch the legs on the rifle. Once you start shooting stiff at 600 you'll be wanting to go to 800 then 1,000. The you'll have the same clinical diagnosis as alot of others here, referred to as the Bug. Good luck