• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Base + Mount + Scope = Elev. Help me with the math plz.

Alex V

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2012
I have a Steiner 5-25 MSR waiting for an 18" 7.62 OBR whenever it gets here (11mo so far :-D). Just could not pass up the deal Scott @ Liberty Optics had. I am now looking for a mount, and will more than likely be using a LaRue mount to keep everything in the family.

Since the rail on the rifle will be -20MOA I have a choice of 0MOA or -20MOA mounts. JL mentioned in the sticky MSR thread to keep the declination to -30/-35 MOA due to image degradation at a closer zero.

Assuming a 100m zero how much elevation travel will I have with a combined -20MOA vs -40MOA? I understand the bullet starts falling very quickly the further out it is, will the additional range be worth the potential loss of clarity through the scope? I'm trying to learn as much as I can by reading the forum, but have not been able to figure this out.

I am a total noob when it comes to shooting at distance. The furthest I have shot is 300y with my 18" 5.56 Noveske and NF2.5-10 which did not appear to be a challenge at all with a 12"D steel target. I know some will say the 18" 308 gas gun is done at 800y, but what if I had the chance to try more, I would not want to be hampered by an incorrect choice of mount.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!