• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Base to action level?

beretta_man11

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2010
MS
I put a new weaver 1913 rail on my m700 .223 last night.

I have a gap bewteen on the back receiver bridge- big whoop- I have plans to bed that tonight.

My problem came when I wanted to check the level of the action to level of the base. evidently there is a good bit of play left/right in the base when the screws aren't tight yet. I found out i had issues with my Wheeler Level-Level-Level... junk... In the end, I'm going to bed the base tonight but making sure it is level to the action!

How important is it that the base to action is perfectly level? In my mind, it's not extremely critical IF you have a level on your scope when shooting so the reticle is always level. Am i way off in my thinking?

Re: Base to action level?

Most important is the scopes vertical crosshair, perfectly splits your bore centerline, then your scopes level will work properly. If you draw a vertical line on a target and put a target sticker on the very bottom of the line, you should be able to put a shot in the target spot at 100y, and then dial up your elevation turret one turn while aiming at the same spot. Your impact should follow your vertical line you made, and be 15" or 12" higher, or what ever one turn is on your scope. Now dial in another turn and see where you land. If the impact is off the line, your scope isn't centered over your bore. This also will show you how accurate your turret values are.

good advice. thank you!
Looking at the base again last night, it looks like Weaver mad a "catch all" base in that the holes are large enough for the #8 screws but sent with #6.

So do you need a base with #6 holes? The base screws should be radiused, centering the base just as it snugs up.

My action is tapped for standard #6 screws. The screws are flat at the base of the head as are the holes in the rail. It can easily be off center. I guess that's what i get for buying a $30 rail?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I guess that's what i get for buying a $30 rail? </div></div>

Well, your not out much if your not happy!

Another issue is the base not being parallel to the bore... Your scope zero will only be good on the windage, at one distance. You will know when you have to dial windage, everytime you add elevation.

Good luck with your project!